Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I know it may not be a pleasant thing to talk about, but what is everyone's worst accident and what did you learn from it?

I'll go first. Over the course of many years and 60,000+ miles, I've been in exactly one accident.

This past May, my buddy and I were riding Rt. 250 west of Staunton, VA. It's a great back road with lots of great turns. It's about 12:30pm. We're on a straight section of the road near McDowell, VA. Speed limit is 55, and we're cruising at 60. I speed up to pass a car. I make the pass and slow back down to 60 and I look in my mirror waiting for my buddy to make the pass. That's the last thing I remember.

I come to about a half hour later with a bunch of people standing around me. All I can think is "what happened" and "where is my bike". I ask these questions and my buddy answers and says that a deer t-boned me and my bike is spread out all over the road. I was in disbelief. I'm able to catch a glimpse of my bike about 30 feet down the road in front of me. Reality begins to sink in. In a few minutes, a helicopter lands to fly me to the hospital. Luckily I had full one piece leathers on with full armor. I left the hospital the next day without a broken bone or scratch. I suffered some head trauma including a concussion but was mostly ok.

After I got out of the hospital the next day we went with my trailer to pick up my bike. It had been left at a neighbor's house. This was my first chance to examine it. There was deer hair and blood caught in all the gaps between the fairings on the left side where it hit. We looked at the site of the crash. The deer had jumped a fence 20 feet off the road to the left and dove airborn into the side of me at my knee. There were cuts in the knee area of the leathers where its hooves sliced in.

So the bike was totaled, deer was killed, and somebody picked up the road kill as it was nowhere to be seen at the crash site.

Lessons learned? Proper gear is essential. I would not have survived in the condition I did without it. How to avoid a deer from doing this again? I don't know. I don't ride those roads out there at dawn or dusk, I try to keep an eye out for them if I'm out in the country. The way this one came out I don't know what I could have done differently. According to my buddy, he saw a flash of gray fly through the air at me and that was it. I guess shit happens.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
My laptimer popped off the place it was mounted (or wasn't stuck on securely enough), fell down into the triple tree/upper fork area and got stuck and locking the front as I turned onto pit out. I couldn't straighten back up and went sliding down pit out and into the grass. The only time I have ever crashed at the track or even touched the grass or dirt outside of the pit area. Scuffed my leathers a little and my bike got some scratches on the pipe, footpeg, and side of the tail section which required sanding and paint. I learned to double and triple check everything myself before going out for my session. Pit bitches are sometimes unreliable.

·
Registered
250 Posts
2007, I was headed home from work on a Friday and went past my house (on a main thoroughfare in Venice, CA) to pick up some beer.

Riding back a little above the speed limit (maybe 40-45), a car traveling the opposite direction made a completely abrupt left turn to get to McDonalds (from the travel lane, not the center turning one). I swerved hard to the left, but still pancaked the car with the side/front of my bike. Don't know what happened after that, but I know I went over the car and slammed body-first into the window of a flower store.

Fractured my tibia, separated shoulder, but no rash and no major damage. To this day, I am incredibly wary around fast-food restaurants. Don't get between fatties and their crap food is what I learned.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
I got sideswiped by a woman in an SUV changing lanes without looking, who then took off after she saw my Glock when I was pulling my bike off the road without giving me any of her info. And I didn't even get her plate number due to how she stopped at an angle

I learned to just shoot any motherfucker who hits me and claim self defense in the future.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Riding my Goldwing through a green light at night in the rain and fog a pedestrian stepped out right in front of me. Went down swerving trying not to hit him.

Lessons learned:
Goldwings don't swerve very well
Pedestrians don't die when you hit them with Goldwings
Murphy can bite anyone if and when he feels like it

Ended my quarter century streak of accident-free riding.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Deliberately hit by pickup twenty years ago. Fortunately at low speed. No protective gear besides helmet. Nothing broken, lots of road rash, fingernails torn off, still have scars from muffler burns. Shoulder still hurts to this day.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
My T7 crash at BIR last Aug. Completely my fault due to tunnel vision/target fixation and got a concussion because of it. Took nearly the entire season this year to get over it and make marked improvements in self-confidence, which in turn gave me a massive breakthrough in speed.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
2007, I was headed home from work on a Friday and went past my house (on a main thoroughfare in Venice, CA) to pick up some beer.

Riding back a little above the speed limit (maybe 40-45), a car traveling the opposite direction made a completely abrupt left turn to get to McDonalds (from the travel lane, not the center turning one). I swerved hard to the left, but still pancaked the car with the side/front of my bike. Don't know what happened after that, but I know I went over the car and slammed body-first into the window of a flower store.

Fractured my tibia, separated shoulder, but no rash and no major damage. To this day, I am incredibly wary around fast-food restaurants. Don't get between fatties and their crap food is what I learned.
Ha ha. I've noticed the same thing around a McDonald's on Rhode Island Avenue NE near my house in DC. People pull out of the drive-thru onto Rhode Island Ave and turn into the parking lot from Rhode Island Ave frequently with little to no warning. Gotta have that Big Mac!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Riding my Goldwing through a green light at night in the rain and fog a pedestrian stepped out right in front of me. Went down swerving trying not to hit him.

Lessons learned:
Goldwings don't swerve very well
Pedestrians don't die when you hit them with Goldwings
Murphy can bite anyone if and when he feels like it

Ended my quarter century streak of accident-free riding.
I'm in a major city with a lot of pedestrians, I've had them step out in the road before, but I've always been able to swerve and avoid them. That's a big reason why I enjoy riding a sportbike in the city. They swerve and handle incredibly well in city traffic.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My bike fell over in a parking lot while I wasn't on it. Frame sliders did their job. Hopefully I am able to say that is my worst accident for a long time. Considering I have owned three cruisers and six sport bikes I would say I'm doing pretty well.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for dirtbikes, 4-wheelers, mountain bikes, and road bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ha ha. I've noticed the same thing around a McDonald's on Rhode Island Avenue NE near my house in DC. People pull out of the drive-thru onto Rhode Island Ave and turn into the parking lot from Rhode Island Ave frequently with little to no warning. Gotta have that Big Mac!
My very first accident was in a car, right by a McDonalds in DC. The one on Georgia by Howard U. I grew up around Cardozo. :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Oh, worst accident in a car I hydroplaned, flipped 1-1/2 times diagonal and ended up under water. Window broke out in the crash so I crawled out that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My very first accident was in a car, right by a McDonalds in DC. The one on Georgia by Howard U. I grew up around Cardozo. :)
I know the one you're talking about. Ride by it all the time.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I'm in a major city with a lot of pedestrians, I've had them step out in the road before, but I've always been able to swerve and avoid them. That's a big reason why I enjoy riding a sportbike in the city. They swerve and handle incredibly well in city traffic.
Yeah, I like the sport bike too. But I don't like to ride my nice sport bike in the rain, and the Wing has that big windshield for the cold.

Murphy needed cold, foggy and wet conditions combined with a witless pedestrian to bring me down. I suppose I shouldn't bitch too loud. And I was hobbling around pretty good for a couple days.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I like the sport bike too. But I don't like to ride my nice sport bike in the rain, and the Wing has that big windshield for the cold.

Murphy needed cold, foggy and wet conditions combined with a witless pedestrian to bring me down. I suppose I shouldn't bitch too loud. And I was hobbling around pretty good for a couple days.
I don't ride in the rain on my sportbikes if I can help it. I live near the metro station so I use that when weather is bad and I need to go downtown to work. If I'm going somewhere with adequate parking, I drive my truck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts