Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys !! So I'm 18 years old 5.8ft 120lbs and looking forward to buy a 250 as my first ever bike, im not thinking of getting a 600 since I know that I will get killed, the 600 is in my mind but not in my pocket for now..(; nor in my family's mind >_< !!!!! ( not for now, but yes in the future).
So heres my concern. My steep dad has Honda shadow phantom 750cc, 550lbs (no fuel) and last week he handed it over me to give it a ride and I just simply couldn't go anything more than 20ft. That bike is heavy has hell!!!! Every 3 times a week a take a ride with him but its totally different than ride it !! So I was just wondering if the 250 is going to be like that experience !!! , beeing 5.8ft will I be able to handle the bike well?!! I'm quite confused ! Also I love the street triple r. Will it be a good starter bike ?? THANKS !!! FOR YOUR HELP !!!!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Suzuki TU250X would be great for you, it has the "retro British" thumper looks, it would be a matter of just a few parts to get it to look like a cafe racer. It is a light, low bike that will be very easy for you to handle. And it makes for a terrific urban bike that sips gas.

·
St'er and Racer
48 Posts
250s are lighter...

Cafe Racer,

According to the Honda web site, a Honda Shadow 750 weighs ~540lbs, while a rebel or CBR 250 are in the mid-300 range. Thre's a difference in "fit" between the two styles, that may or may not work out for you.
Have you considered the MSF Beginner's Motorcycle Course? It's a good idea anyway, but they should have various styles of bikes in the 250cc range that you could try out. When my wife started, she did that and got a chance to try them out.

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Suzuki TU250X would be great for you, it has the "retro British" thumper looks, it would be a matter of just a few parts to get it to look like a cafe racer. It is a light, low bike that will be very easy for you to handle. And it makes for a terrific urban bike that sips gas.
Thanks ! I appreciate your response and yea that Suzuki looks terrific ! And its a 250! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cafe Racer,

According to the Honda web site, a Honda Shadow 750 weighs ~540lbs, while a rebel or CBR 250 are in the mid-300 range. Thre's a difference in "fit" between the two styles, that may or may not work out for you.
Have you considered the MSF Beginner's Motorcycle Course? It's a good idea anyway, but they should have various styles of bikes in the 250cc range that you could try out. When my wife started, she did that and got a chance to try them out.

Steve
Steve,

Yes I have in mind of taking the MSF course, I really need to see were I fit the most in this broad motorcycle world ( that we all love in this forum)... hopefully ! Tomorrow I will be going to motorcycle dealer shop to sit on some bikes and get the feel of them.
So far what I like the most are the cafe racer bikes.
Thanks for your help !

Café racer .....

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first motorcycle (and current motorcycle) is a 2006 Honda Rebel 250. It has been an extremely good learner bike and I still enjoy every minute that I spend on it. I am 5' 10'' and weigh just over 150 lbs. and the Honda Rebel is extremely easy for me to maneuver. I would say that seat height is more important to consider than weight. If you can't get both feet on the ground, then it doesn't matter how light or heavy the bike is, you won't be able to control it at a stop. My 2006 Honda Rebel 250:

·
Registered
495 Posts
My wife's first bike is a CB250 Nighthawk. Even with her having an SV650 now, the 250 is still here for fun. Makes a great grocery-getter and is fun to ride.

The low weight and nimble handling make it a great learning instrument.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first motorcycle (and current motorcycle) is a 2006 Honda Rebel 250. It has been an extremely good learner bike and I still enjoy every minute that I spend on it. I am 5' 10'' and weigh just over 150 lbs. and the Honda Rebel is extremely easy for me to maneuver. I would say that seat height is more important to consider than weight. If you can't get both feet on the ground, then it doesn't matter how light or heavy the bike is, you won't be able to control it at a stop. My 2006 Honda Rebel 250:
Wow what a beautiful bike !!! Yes you are right ! I got to make sure that I can get both feet on the ground :) thanks again!!! One question >_< what's the sit height of your motorcycle ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wife's first bike is a CB250 Nighthawk. Even with her having an SV650 now, the 250 is still here for fun. Makes a great grocery-getter and is fun to ride.

The low weight and nimble handling make it a great learning instrument.
Great ! Good to hear that the cb250 stills in the drivers list !! :agree:banana
Thanks for the reply !!!

·
St'er and Racer
48 Posts
Steve,

Yes I have in mind of taking the MSF course, I really need to see were I fit the most in this broad motorcycle world ( that we all love in this forum)... hopefully ! Tomorrow I will be going to motorcycle dealer shop to sit on some bikes and get the feel of them.
So far what I like the most are the cafe racer bikes.
Thanks for your help !

Café racer .....
I was going to suggest that you sit on some bikes at a dealer, but thought it too obvious. Glad you're going to try a few on.

Steve

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
NO!! A street Triple R is NOT a good starter bike! It has 106hp! It is a 675.

A CBR250R is only 359 lbs. Seat height is 30.5"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow what a beautiful bike !!! Yes you are right ! I got to make sure that I can get both feet on the ground thanks again!!! One question >_< what's the sit height of your motorcycle ?
Thank-you very much. The seat height for my 2006 Honda Rebel is 26.6 inches. I have a 32 inch inseam, so that makes getting both feet on the ground extremely easy.
This is a pretty neat website that will let you compare seat heights of many different brands/types of motorcycles: Motorcycle Ergonomics

·
Registered
272 Posts
What did you mean when you said you couldnt go more than 20 ft. with the 750. Do you mean you couldnt push it or you couldnt ride it?

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
My first motorcycle (and current motorcycle) is a 2006 Honda Rebel 250. It has been an extremely good learner bike and I still enjoy every minute that I spend on it. I am 5' 10'' and weigh just over 150 lbs. and the Honda Rebel is extremely easy for me to maneuver. I would say that seat height is more important to consider than weight. If you can't get both feet on the ground, then it doesn't matter how light or heavy the bike is, you won't be able to control it at a stop.
Getting both feet on the ground is highly, highly overrated by new riders. After six months you won't even think twice about using one foot or the other to support the bike. When I put both feet down now it feels very weird, because it's something I almost never do.

If the bike permits it, that's great; but you're really excluding a lot of very nice motorcycles by making that a prerequisite.

KeS

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What did you mean when you said you couldnt go more than 20 ft. with the 750. Do you mean you couldnt push it or you couldnt ride it?
I was able to release the clutch and ride it straight but I wasn't able to steer it at low speeds. I can pick up the bike, also balance it with my legs and touch the ground flat , but is just that at that time I had trouble moving it . that's why I was wondering if I would have the same problem with a ninja or any other bike ?

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I was able to release the clutch and ride it straight but I wasn't able to steer it at low speeds. I can pick up the bike, also balance it with my legs and touch the ground flat , but is just that at that time I had trouble moving it . that's why I was wondering if I would have the same problem with a ninja or any other bike ?
Probably. I wouldn't worry about it before taking MSF.

KeS

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Grab up a pre-2007 Ninja 250. Small, light, cheap, and fun. Ride it for a year and sell it for the same money, then buy the bike of your dreams.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts