Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cheers :cheers On Monday i had to go to court. ( Got a driving to endanger, here is the story http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=282899) It was a big misunderstanding when i got pulled over. The cop didn't give me an envelope or anything to send the ticket in and he said he will send me paperwork and set up a court date for the end of the summer so i didnt send anything in. He told me as long as i am good from now untill then he will drop down the carges. I didnt send my ticket in and received an arignment in the mail! Seemed i screwed myself over and lost the chance for a hearing because i didnt send the ticket in. It's not like i get pulled over all the time, i wasnt sure what to do and the way the cop made it sound was not to do anything and i will get all the paper work in the mail. He didnt once mention anything about sending the ticket in or where to send it.

Anyway, on Monday i show up. I've been to hearings with the magistrate. Those aren't bad at all, just you with the magistrate and a cop....thats it. This sucked, there was a fucking audience behind me and 4 guys on the side cuffed together all watching as we are called up one by one pleading our case. Some people had lawers, but i figured i would represent myself (With some advice from f2benny, thanks for that :cheers) They asked if i wanted to get it resolved today i said yes. I got there at 8:30. Got called first at 10:30. During break the DA came over and said they are going to dismiss my case for $500! Better then a criminal record and my insuracne going up. I sign the paper but still have to wait until the judge calls me up. Sometime around 3 i get called (Some guy starting shaking at 1 and they had to clear the court room and took an hour break, didnt start up again untill around 3). I don't have a record or even a speeding ticket which helped. The judge aknowledged that and said $500 is a hefty fine. He told me he would cut it down to $250 as long as i could pay by the end of this week. That wasn't a problem. So I thanked him and walked out.

Funny thing was listening to the DA read off what i did to the judge. The story got so blown out of porpotion it wasnt even funny. Something along the lines of "The officer witnessed the front tire come off the ground and was up in the air for an extending period of time while speeding passed other cars and weaving in and out of lanes". Bunch of BS....all i did was accelerate a wee bit to hard and my front tire came up, which i immediatley put back down. I was on a busy main road. Im smart enough not to fuck around on a road like this. I had a bad day at work, got on it a bit to hard and that was that. Next thing you know im flying through traffic on one wheel facing a criminal charge...because im such a criminal for that :rolleyes

Anyway, in the end it all worked out. The judge said he had a bike, and made a comment about being to old to wheelie which got some laughs :D He basically told me to pay the fine and take it easy. I gladly paid it. Once again, it was alot better then to have a criminal record for driving to endanger and having my insurance find out. Things ended up working out pretty good and i definatley calmed it down. It's not like i ride like a nut anyway, but after an experience like this i noticed i have been twice as careful about the way I ride.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Good for you

And being twice as carefull won't last to much longer.You'll see,things will be back to normal with you doing wheelies in rush hour traffic for miles on end........incert big grin here.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Congrats man. Sounds like everything worked out perfectly. That sucks that it had the potential to turn into so much more, but gladly it didn't. Be safe.

·
Registered
133 Posts
thats not dismissed my friend. i had my second court hearing on august 1st of this year for a speeding ticket (60 in a 30) which i got last year. the state trooper didnt show up so THAT was dismissed my friend. no fine no nothing... remember, yoiu can appeal that shit twice... at the first hearing they ALWAYS find you responsible but allow you to pay a lesser fine. thats just to lure you in so you dont appeal it again

·
Registered
801 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out for you. Congrats.

·
Registered
297 Posts
yeah i am curious also, If it was dismissed it costs u nothing.
the judge must have reduced it or something to a lessor charge.
anyway u should have what it was in writing.
hopefully to something non traffic.
later
Michael

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Basically what it sounds like is he made you pay court costs for it being brought to the court's attention and maybe $50 went to the ticket to cover the paper processing. The judge can dismiss a ticket upon payment of costs which I am willing ti bet he did. If you are in doubt, give 60-90 days and pull your own driving record and you will know that way. Congrats that it all worked out bro.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Off topic, but how do you pull your own driving record?

Steve

·
Registered
471 Posts
Truck said:

Steve
in florida you just go to your local clerk of the court and pay around $10 and they give you a printout

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Truck said:

Steve

Most DMVs will pull it for you for a fee. If you know a police officer they can pull it for you as long as their dept. doesn't require a case number to accompany it.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All i know is the DA came over and used the word Dismissed. I signed a piece of paper that said Dimissed right on it with the amount of $500. He told me the case is dismissed and all you have to do is pay court fees. When the judge called me up he knocked it down to $250. I specifically asked the DA if it will give me a record or bump my insrance up and he said as long as i pay the court fees i get no record, and my insurance won't go up.

Call it what you want, as long as my record isn't effected and my insurance doesn't go up im happy :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
If it is dismissed you walk out. Period no fine no nothing. Sounds to me like it wasn't dismissed.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I don’t think the case was dismissed. In NYS when I went in for unsafe starting the judge dismissed it and I walked home with a piece of paper that had my case # and violation on it – Dismissed. In this case, the DA probably allowed you to drop the charges and it was just a fine and not a moving violation, therefore, you are in the clear and nothing should be on your record.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts