Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm looking for any help that I can do myself before I take it to a mechanic. I have a 2000 zx9 and it won't start?When I hit the starter button nothing happens just dead. My turn signals work, and I tried jumping or bump starting and nothing worked so I don't think it's the battery. My speedo lights up but doesn't reset itself when I turn the key,the trip or clock screen stays blank, and the neutral light doesn't show up. I don't know if it's the starter or ignition switch or something else. My manual says to start with the starter.... Any help ... thanks....

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well, I just went out to my 2001 9R (same electrical system as your 2000) and pulled 4 different fuses hoping to replicate your problem but was unable to do so. The IG, ACC, 30amp main, and the 20 amp fuses when each pulled seperately will not give the same results. I don't have a schematic handy but my first guess would be the ignition switch.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Really doubt it's the starter. The "other" problems point to the ignition switch or a junction box with a bad relay, assuming there is a junction box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check any leads off of the negative terminal from the battery. I had intermittent electrical probs with my '98 and it was a ground wire that would disconnect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To me it sounds like the neutral safety switch is causing your no-start problem. If it does not "see" neutral(for your safety), it will not start. It has a bypass if you pull in your clutch lever..... There is also a safety for the side-stand.

Sunshine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, About your 2000 zx-9r not starting. The odometer lights up the blinkers work and the od gauges didn't reset. I hate to tell you your problom is a fuse and the fuse is under your seat it's a 10 amp inside of the black box. you have to take cover off and then you can see the fuses. on the back side of the fuse box it will show you what each ones controls. It's the third one on the far right facing forward on your bike. I hope you didn't go take it to a mech. sorry i didn't see your posting sooner!!!! The fuse might have been old and just blown but keep a couple with you just in case it happens again. My email is [email protected] if you need anymore help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In a case like this, you would first want to check all of your fuses, connections and wires. the obvious is usually the answer. If you check this and it doesnt work, it is most likely a relay. I have come across this problems a hundred times at our shop. every bike has a relay which handles inputs from different sensors on your bike like the neutral switch, sidestand switch, etc, and if any of them are going off, signal the bike not to run. chances are you had a power surge that blew a diode in your relay. you will need to replace the relay unless you're able to replace just the diode. you might want to figure out why the surge happened, and make sure if it was something you unhooked, hooked up, disconnected, added on, etc, that you dont do it again. and make sure the battery is the last thing you hook up once your done, to avoid surges.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts