Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well sort of. I try to ride on a couple of local trails around the area a few days a week to keep my skills sharp. This morning I was riding a trail that's basically just a two-mile climb, then turn around and descend. I was coming downhill and nearly crash into this guy that totally would not move out of the way. I think that most people know that whoever is descending has the right-of-way. I wiped out to avoid the head-on collision, and the guy tells ME that I need to watch where I am going! I said as politely as the adrenaline would allow that he was the one in error, and that I had the right-of way. To which he responded "Maybe you shouldn't be up here if you don't know how to ride."

WTF?!! Granted I should have let it go as I am certain the guy could have pummeled me into the earth, but I was a tad bit irate at this point and said something to the effect of, "I'll hand you your ass any day."

He said something like, "whatever dude, whenever you want to race just let me know."

So I said, "what about right now?" I think things were calming down a bit at this point, as the guy was starting to be a bit more civil. So we agreed to go to the bottom and race the trail for $100.00. I repeatedly asked the guy if he was sure, and if he indeed had the cash to cover the bet. He assured me that he did, so off we went. It was pretty close for about...oh thirty seconds or so...after which I spanked him :urowned

I turned around once reaching the top and went by him(he was still climbing) at around the 3/4 mark. I KNOW that he turned around as soon as I was out of sight and didn't even complete the climb. Once he got to the bottom I was waiting expectantly, and he pulls up next to where I am parked and says, "dude I only have like 30 bucks on me."

Oh well. I told him not to worry about it, and loaded my bike and drove home. It would have been nice to get the cash, but it was still fun to beat him!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Yea, it sucks when people can't back up their shit talk. Glad you could.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
funny thing.... isnt the person doing the "hitting" at fault? Thats how it uasually goes... fact that you went down says you wernt in control of your desent...

Ive done alot of mountainbiking and seen too much crap happen on a public trail that normally would have the same basic rules like a bike path or road would have.

If it's a closed course thats different, the idiot should have gotten out of the way....

We had nearly all the good trails here closed permantly to MTB's because of the ones that just gotta race wildly down multi user trails scaring hikers and injuring themselves and others by losing control and sailing off a cliff or into the trees. <-- Round Top Manoa Cliffs Trail was one of the coolest trails to ride here, went through miles of bamboo single track downhill with serious drop offs all over the thing. 1000 foot plunges into the valley below.... didnt take too many guys needing rescued by the fire rescue of scraped up off the mountain side before the best trails are now closed to all MTB's. just something to consider when you are out in the wilds, we all gotta respect the other users or lose it...

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
You should of kicked him in the nuts when he didn't pay.

·
Registered
308 Posts
some people just got attitude problems on the trails. I usually hit up a local park near my house that I know very well. Anyways I am busting my ass climbing this steep hill about a 1/4 mile long which is near the end of the 4 mile long run I am doing. The trail is very narrow, mainly due to erosion, but open on the sides but impossible to get the bike onto the sides. So I see some runner coming down the hill, not even going fast, guy still stays on the trail doesn't have any intention of moving, so I keep going straight, gotta maintain my momentum. Asshole keeps running right at me, I have to stop my bike, and pull it over to the side cause he was about to run into me. Guy of course stares me down. I tell him to watch were he is going, guy then snoots and says runners have the right-of-way. I say when I run I don't go out of my way to be a stuck up dickhead and have no problem jumping off to the side to let bikers pass when they're busting there ass up a hill, but keep running you need it! Huffs and goes on his merry way jogging down the hill.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
pillaka said:
some people just got attitude problems on the trails. I usually hit up a local park near my house that I know very well. Anyways I am busting my ass climbing this steep hill about a 1/4 mile long which is near the end of the 4 mile long run I am doing. The trail is very narrow, mainly due to erosion, but open on the sides but impossible to get the bike onto the sides. So I see some runner coming down the hill, not even going fast, guy still stays on the trail doesn't have any intention of moving, so I keep going straight, gotta maintain my momentum. Asshole keeps running right at me, I have to stop my bike, and pull it over to the side cause he was about to run into me. Guy of course stares me down. I tell him to watch were he is going, guy then snoots and says runners have the right-of-way. I say when I run I don't go out of my way to be a stuck up dickhead and have no problem jumping off to the side to let bikers pass when they're busting there ass up a hill, but keep running you need it! Huffs and goes on his merry way jogging down the hill.

Not to sound like an ass, but (I dont know where your from since you dont have it in your profile....) but nearly EVERY COUNTRY in the world a Pediatrian (read as hiker, walker, runner ect) ALWAYS has RIGHT OF WAY over any vehicle unless on a "no pedistrian traffic" aera.... Think about it. Check attitude at door plz. Thanks.

The above is a simple curtesy applied to any place where vehicles and peds mix. This IS NOT Grand Theft Auto but real world principale. :)

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Well yea KH, they have the right of way, but it is just courteous to step to the side while (still running) when you see a bike truckin' up a narrow ass passage.

But yea, people on foot, have the right of way.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
now youngin thanks for seein the truth but also remember these same people that have the right of way have also been accosted by lots of said trukin foo's and after a few of em doantcha think they might get a bit miffed.... sorta like we get pissed when a cage cuts us off? Always put the shoe on the other foot so to speak... then realize why these things come about. :)

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
yep i would have taken the 30 then followed him to an atm for the rest....

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
badgixxer said:
yep i would have taken the 30 then followed him to an atm for the rest....

I considerd it, but he probably would have just made another excuse not to pay. At least maybe next time he'll think before he mouths off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts