Sport Bikes banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2003 gsx600f katana and at first I thought it was gonna be an easy fix, it would crank but no fire. I put new plugs changed the engine oil air filter and also rebuilt the carbs and new petcock. Everything needed a little tlc. After all new gaskets o rings seats needles ect… it’s pretty much all been touched and cleaned and I set everything back to factory. (Floats and mixture screws) floats at 13mm and mixture 3 turns out. All jets are stock because i wanted to start fresh with a base line just to get it running.
After reassembling with fresh fluids and fuel it fires with choke and runs but dies immediately once choke is disengaged.
I’ve pulled and set floats rich and lean and extremely rich and extremely lean as well as adjusting mixture screw, and though I’ve had the carbs off and played with them maybe fifteen times now and recleaned and tried new adjustments I’ve never had any different results. Always runs but only with choke on, once choke is disengaged it dies immediately.
I’ve also checked to make sure all cylinders are firing and there’s no issue there.
I’m stumped! If anyone has any ideas… I’d appreciate anyones outside view or maybe it’s something stupid I’ve just overlooked someone could point out to me.
thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I bought a 2003 gsx600f katana and at first I thought it was gonna be an easy fix, it would crank but no fire. I put new plugs changed the engine oil air filter and also rebuilt the carbs and new petcock. Everything needed a little tlc. After all new gaskets o rings seats needles ect… it’s pretty much all been touched and cleaned and I set everything back to factory. (Floats and mixture screws) floats at 13mm and mixture 3 turns out. All jets are stock because i wanted to start fresh with a base line just to get it running.
After reassembling with fresh fluids and fuel it fires with choke and runs but dies immediately once choke is disengaged.
I’ve pulled and set floats rich and lean and extremely rich and extremely lean as well as adjusting mixture screw, and though I’ve had the carbs off and played with them maybe fifteen times now and recleaned and tried new adjustments I’ve never had any different results. Always runs but only with choke on, once choke is disengaged it dies immediately.
I’ve also checked to make sure all cylinders are firing and there’s no issue there.
I’m stumped! If anyone has any ideas… I’d appreciate anyones outside view or maybe it’s something stupid I’ve just overlooked someone could point out to me.
thanks
Make sure the main AND the small idle jet are prefectly clean, Remove them, must be able to hold up to sun or a light and see clear through them, Small round circle of light coming through. Small idle jet is very small hole.
Also, if looks like a Fine jagged going through middle, It NOT. Optical-Contusion..
cheers
Southwind

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but yes, the jets had been replaced. I rebuilt the entire carburetor set completely new and ended up playing with the float height and mixture screw so much I had a headache. It never changed anything when I fired the bike up. Lean, rich, factory set… I was upset to say the least. I couldn’t shut off the choke.
I’ve set everything back to factory settings and the issue was my intake manifold boot. It’s a vacuum system, so over time all the gaskets corrode or flatten and need to be replaced. New petcock helps, old one was shot, new guts -cleaned and polished carbs, and replaced intake boot gaskets and now no air leak, which made the factory setting to lean and the choke was compensating for it, bike runs great now.
It’s a pain but just getting everything apart once this issue starts and replacing all the gaskets everywhere is best. I tried to find something on this but never did, these bikes have vacuum issues!! I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, but yes, the jets had been replaced. I rebuilt the entire carburetor set completely new and ended up playing with the float height and mixture screw so much I had a headache. It never changed anything when I fired the bike up. Lean, rich, factory set… I was upset to say the least. I couldn’t shut off the choke.
I’ve set everything back to factory settings and the issue was my intake manifold boot. It’s a vacuum system, so over time all the gaskets corrode or flatten and need to be replaced. New petcock helps, old one was shot, new guts -cleaned and polished carbs, and replaced intake boot gaskets and now no air leak, which made the factory setting to lean and the choke was compensating for it, bike runs great now.
It’s a pain but just getting everything apart once this issue starts and replacing all the gaskets everywhere is best. I tried to find something on this but never did, these bikes have vacuum issues!! I hope this helps someone.
outstanding!
good work. appreciated the feed back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts