Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking after all the talk over women now being allowed into combat roles in the military, what about sports? Why shouldn't women be allowed to play baseball, basketball, soccer, football etc... with men? It seems silly to me to say women can fight, kill, and die alongside men in combat, but they are not equal enough to be able to play a ballgame with us.

Again same standards would apply, if the woman is just as capable as the men in the sport, why not? I played high school baseball and we had a female on our team, and she could hit and throw just as well as anyone else, (Granted our team sucked balls...) and she'd been playing with us since our Little League days. We had a girl's softball team but she wanted no part in it, she was a baseball player, and she did well, and embarrassed a few pitchers throughout the years.

So what do you folks think, should women continue to be relegated to secondary leagues nobody cares about, or should they be allowed onto the big stage?

Also what about Olympic sports, Winter games are coming up next year, who thinks Lindsey Vonn couldn't keep up with the men?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: R1100S-Rider

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
This thread should turn into "hot women in sports" along with pics.
This

Women playing on the same field as men is stupid and the combat one is worse. However since it now part of the grand social experiment lets have them all register for selective service as well, just like all the guys.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I see nothing wrong with it, if they can merit it based on their ability then why not.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
This

Women playing on the same field as men is stupid...... .
I would really like to know why other than your general distaste for sharing space with women and potentially getting upstaged.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Sure they should be allowed to compete with men, but only if they're as physically capable. 95% of the time they aren't; that isn't me slagging on women, it's just the truth. Men are, as a general rule, b***** and stronger. For sports where physical conditioning and brute strength are not as relevant there should be no issues IMO. For other sports such as hockey or football (both require strength and size) or basketball (freakish height)... I just don't see it being realistic in almost every single situation.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Didn't a girl try to play with the boys in a Golf Tourny? I believe she didn't do well, but looked good at it.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I believe women are allowed in pretty much every sport played by men. I think men are barred from participating in sports that are deemed for women only.

A lot of women race motorcycles. Many of them do quite well (Elana Myers and Shayna Texter to name a couple that you might know).

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Trust me, if a baseball scout found a woman that could throw consistent 100 mph fastballs she would be signed in a heartbeat.

The reason why we have segregation in sport is FOR equality, not inequality. If we one sport league for every sport, women would not be high profile athletes.

Is what it is.

With that said, If a woman is fast enough/strong enough/etc I have ZERO problem with them in any endeavor. Hell, Danica Patrick is better than 99.9 % of all men that drive cars and look where she is.
Shes good enough to be where she is based on her own merits, and the ownership and public recognize that fact.

If a broad can tackle or stop a 280 lb linebacker better than a man, you will see women in the NFL as well.

RC

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
You don't need to be able to stop a 300 lb linebacker- but there are a hell of a lot of great kickers out there- it's not always about matching brute force.

Reactions: No Coast Rider

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
You don't need to be able to stop a 300 lb linebacker- but there are a hell of a lot of great kickers out there- it's not always about matching brute force.
Sorry, but stopping a LB by kicking him in the shins don't count.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good point Jo, an experienced female soccer player could probably kick the shit out of a football, or even be a coach. Hell I have a sister who would be a great lineman...

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Good point Jo, an experienced female soccer player could probably kick the shit out of a football, or even be a coach. Hell I have a sister who would be a great lineman...

Check the interwebz----we had a female soccer player try out for a place kicker.

she was friggin awesome, but got hammered bad and couldn't kick afterwards.

We also had a female try out professionally for a goal tender position in hockey--turns out men fire pucks harder and faster than women do, and she was cut.

BUT, at least the teams tried.

And iJo, in pro football, brute force decides games. If a bunch of fairies from tutu land could toss a football and kick it thru the uprights while not getting squashed, we'd have two teams named Dallas.

RC
RC

Reactions: knonfs

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'll see your Danica Patrick and raise you one Shirley Muldowney. Muldowney, along with Janet Guthrie and Lynn St. James had to deal with some serious bull shit so that women like Danica Patrick could have a place to race. Those ladies kicked ass and took names.

But since we keep going back to football, here's an interesting side note: Anyone wanna take a guess which member of the 1974 in Upper Dublin, PA football team had a career in the NFL?

The answer is sideline reporter Suzy Kolber. Unfortunately, the boys' parents threatened to pull their sons out of the league because they didn't want their sons to play football with her, so she gave up trying to play. I bet you she was the only member of that team who met Joe Namath. Or at least the only one he tried to kiss. :D Poor Suzy.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
But how many women can kick that ball and not get hurt when that 300lb linebacker comes at her at 20mph?

This very topic happened at my high school in 1987. The 3 women that tried out, 2 dropped out in 4 hours, and the other the next day.

Just to appease Tony. We'll also explore baseball, and basketball.

Can women hit a 477ft homerun? Or will Lisa Leslie be able to dunk on Lebron James?

Could Rhonda Rousey fight Anderson Silva in MMA?

By no means am I saying they shouldn't, I am just posing questions.

·
Registered
228 Posts
okay, coming from left field with this: I don't mind women playing contact sports alongside men. The only concern I would have is the physiological nature of women vs. men. It would seem to me (and this is just pure speculation) that over a course of time, constant hard or violent impacts like full shots from linebackers, etc. could do some damage to women's body if they thought about having kids in the future. Then that's another question...say women are playing in the NFL. How will that affect their decisions on having a family? And say if a woman gets drafted in college and plays until she's like 35, then try to have kids after her career but have complications or even miscarriages... will that open up liability issues against the NFL? But overall if a female can take shots as well as dish it then more power to her. Even kickers have to take a shot here & there even though it's considered roughing the kicker. Still, it's gonna happen IMO.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I don't think there are any rules saying they can't play; but the reason is they aren't as good as the men.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts