Sport Bikes banner

Woman rider as a role model

1K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  acalliste 
#1 ·
I was leaving Fed Ex a little girl was smiling at me as I walked to my bike. She was about 3 and sitting in her car seat. The mom told me that she loved motorcycles and when I said hi she grinned from ear to ear. I asked her if she wanted to see me ride and she shook her head really hard. So I put my helmet and gloves on telling her "I have to wear special clothes so I don't get a booboo". Her eyes didn't leave me for one second and as I took off She waved and was chattering non stop at her mom. One more reason to wear gear at all times. This little girl loves motorcycles and the mom told me that I was the very first women she had ever seen on a bike. Someday if she ever decides to ride, she will see herself as she has seen other women and remember all the women she had ever seen ride. If they wore gear, smiled freely and felt wonderful about their femininity maybe she will too. So while I won't wear pink, I will find gear that shows my curves as well as protecting my arse... just so those little girls can pick me out and know bikes aren't just for boys.

#3 ·
How cool is that!! I've had my fair share of little girls look and point and yell out to their parents that "It's a girl Mommy, it's a girl"!! And every time, I just smile and think to myself how I was the exact same way when I was their age.

Good job on reinforcing the gear. Little ones are so impressionable.

#4 ·
Thats cool I just went to the AMA races at Road America and there was a girl racer so I got an autograph for my niece so she knows girls can do what ever they want

#5 ·
^ Yeah I got Jessica's autograph for Sierra too!!! It's great to see her out there!!

#10 ·
I work at a day care and the other day I rode my bike to work. I was taking all my gear and storing it the "teacher's closet" of my classroom when one of the boys asked me "aren't motorcycles for boys" and I replied, "no girls are better at it" and he looked at me weird. So I explained that it takes balance to ride a motorcycle and girls are better at it (thats why more girls are balerinas and ice skaters) and also girls are smarter and there are less of us riding without gear on to protect ourselves. Okay so I was taking out of my ass but I had to laugh when he walked up to his Harley riding Marine dad a couple hours later and said "girls are better at riding motorcycles than you dad, miss alison said so."

#11 ·
shortyali0369 said:
I work at a day care and the other day I rode my bike to work. I was taking all my gear and storing it the "teacher's closet" of my classroom when one of the boys asked me "aren't motorcycles for boys" and I replied, "no girls are better at it" and he looked at me weird. So I explained that it takes balance to ride a motorcycle and girls are better at it (thats why more girls are balerinas and ice skaters) and also girls are smarter and there are less of us riding without gear on to protect ourselves. Okay so I was taking out of my ass but I had to laugh when he walked up to his Harley riding Marine dad a couple hours later and said "girls are better at riding motorcycles than you dad, miss alison said so."
OMG hahahaha! fiizzyWaits for the law suit claiming sexism and indoctrination :lao

#12 ·
I like the way you think. I tried the same logic on some guys about fighter jet pilots- you can add better tolerance for g-forces. I got that one from an airforce doctor. I just wish I had a little more tolerance for pain. I think I could learn faster if I could face the possibility of low-siding in a turn.

I love the guys out there who don't gawk at women, but give'm a thumbs up instead. And even more the ones who encourage the women in their lives to do whatever sport floats their boat, and have confidence in their abilty to handle it. (Okay, okay, a little gawking is fun)

#13 ·
karst said:
I love the guys out there who don't gawk at women, but give'm a thumbs up instead. And even more the ones who encourage the women in their lives to do whatever sport floats their boat, and have confidence in their abilty to handle it. (Okay, okay, a little gawking is fun)
Agreed!! :dblthumb A little respect and encouragement goes a long way.

#14 ·
shortyali0369 said:
if some teacher told my son girls are better at something than him, i'd be PISSED. Better to just say girls are just as good at it as boys...giving a kid a superiority or inferiority complex is never good, cause they might just take you seriously...

#15 ·
Brownilus said:
if some teacher told my son girls are better at something than him, i'd be PISSED. Better to just say girls are just as good at it as boys...giving a kid a superiority or inferiority complex is never good, cause they might just take you seriously...
I agree totally. There should be an emphasis on equality rather then superiority. By no means do I think we should tell them girls are better, on the flip side we shouldn't be telling them that boys are better either. I think we need to "tone" down the image of women as portrayed by media to both boys and girls. Teach girls that they can do anything they set their minds too, teach boys that we aren't just objects.

#16 ·
Nonetheless, I have heard before that riding motorcyles is easier for women due to a lower center of gravity. If there's a benefit to having a big butt, I'd like to be able to brag about it! I've carted it around for all these years, it's time for a payback.
:moon

#18 ·
Best of all we can teach them that when they see an exception to a stereotype they've been taught (about men, women, or otherwise), they should reexamine their assumptions and give credit where it's due.

Okay, so that's my idealism sticking out. Pardon me a moment while I get that adjusted... Okay, back where it belongs, just under the surface.

#19 · (Edited)
Hey gals, I had a fun outting today-

Two little girls, maybe 4 and 6, were gawking and grinning at me for ten minutes in rush hour traffic from inside their Mom's Farmer's Insurance company car. Then I got a salesman to do a double take when I asked about Yamaha's MT-01, and if they were ever going to bring it to the states. :lol

Best of all, as I was leaving the lot, all the men standing around stared at me like I was some kind of performing monkey. I pullout out perfectly smoothly, then wound it up on the street with one of my most graceful (and loud) exits ever. They are so envious. :neener

#20 ·
jim schmidt said:
So people with huge butts are better riders? Who knew? Anybody tell the factory racing teams?

(Sorry. Couldn't pass it up. Women and men are much more same than different, and the same in their potential to ride bikes.)
Well, I didn't say they were better riders, only that it's easier (and I can only speak for myself). But this is what I've heard. Come on man, it would be nice to think that one's big butt would be an asset for a change :D

#21 ·
:bitchslap
I had a good one the other day when I got home from running around. This young kid riding his bicycle was trying to beat me down the street. I played with him for the whole block, on and off the throttle. He had a big old grin when pulled up next to me in the driveway. Then took off my helmet, "YOU"RE A GIRL!" he yelled at me. I smiled and said , "Yes, girls like to have fun too." He smiled and asked if I would do a wheelie. Had to say sorry to him. he waves at me every day now.
:banana

#22 ·
un1261 said:
I had a good one the other day when I got home from running around. This young kid riding his bicycle was trying to beat me down the street. I played with him for the whole block, on and off the throttle. He had a big old grin when pulled up next to me in the driveway. Then took off my helmet, "YOU"RE A GIRL!" he yelled at me. I smiled and said , "Yes, girls like to have fun too." He smiled and asked if I would do a wheelie. Had to say sorry to him. he waves at me every day now.
That is really cute. I love those reactions from kids; they are just so honest and expressive.

#23 ·
acalliste said:
Well, I didn't say they were better riders, only that it's easier (and I can only speak for myself). But this is what I've heard. Come on man, it would be nice to think that one's big butt would be an asset for a change :D
an asset for a CHANGE? When is a big bottom ever NOT an asset? Every girl i know is either happy she has one or wants one. Except when i was on internship, this one white girl kept moaning about her ass getting b*****, i said are you CRAZY, that's what it is SUPPOSED to do, why would you want a flat backside? ...she says yeah, big is good for black girls, cause black men like big butts, white men DON'T.

Is that really what it is? I find that hard to believe...if a guy is hitting it from the back why would he rather feel bone than something round and soft? :locked

#24 ·
Brownilus said:
an asset for a CHANGE? When is a big bottom ever NOT an asset? Every girl i know is either happy she has one or wants one. Except when i was on internship, this one white girl kept moaning about her ass getting b*****, i said are you CRAZY, that's what it is SUPPOSED to do, why would you want a flat backside? ...she says yeah, big is good for black girls, cause black men like big butts, white men DON'T.

Is that really what it is? I find that hard to believe...if a guy is hitting it from the back why would he rather feel bone than something round and soft? :locked
Not true, what they like is a women not too embarassed to get nakid in the light. Every white man I have ever dated loved my butt.

#25 ·
Brownilus said:
Easy for you to say, Brownilus, you are younger than I am. When you get to my age you may not feel the same way. I definitely don't want my rear end getting any b*****, it's gotten too big the last couple of years! I have a closet full of hot clothes I'll never fit into again. :lol Although I do agree with you to some extent - sufficient padding makes things more enjoyable. My man obviously likes it. And don't take my whining too seriously here... I love my body - I am all woman and it shows.

#26 ·
un1261 said:
I have gotten some funny reactions from the kids in my neighbor too. They are used to seeing me now, but at first they were so astounded! Esp a little boy a few doors down. He was very shy at first and would just peek around the corner at me, but now he makes a point to ride his little electric four-wheeler past me at every opportunity. You can read it on his face: "Look at me! I ride too!" :smilierr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.