Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2005/05/23/ajwheeli.htm

Fatal motorcycle crash at airport wheelie class

Montgomery - Leslie R. Duco died from injuries sustained from a motorcycle crash at the Orange County Airport Sunday, Town of Montgomery Police said.
Duco, 46, was participating in a wheelie stunt class operated by On One Wheel Wheelie School, a Los Angeles-based company that teaches motorcycle drivers how to perform wheelies using a closed course and bikes with anti-flip devices.
In this case, the closed course was a stretch of tarmac at the Orange County Airport, 40 Hangar Road, Montgomery. Police said On One Wheel had the appropriate county permits to conduct the class at the airport.
At approximately 1:09 p.m. Sunday, Duco lost control of a Triumph motorcycle and was thrown from the bike, said Sgt. Dennis Barnett. She was treated on-site by Montgomery County Regional EMS, already on standby at the airport, and transported by Mobile Life Support Services to Horton Memorial Hospital in Middletown, where she later died.
Police said cause of death had not yet been released. "The pavement was wet, [but] right now it does not appear that the weather had anything to do with it," said Barnett. "It's not prudent to do those kinds of maneuvers in inclement weather."
A reconstruction and investigation by the Montgomery police and the Orange County Sheriff's Department is continuing.
Alexa James

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Quote from above... "It's not prudent to do those kinds of maneuvers in inclement weather."

Come on...it's not prudent to do those kind of maneuvers period. The bike is make for two wheels. I wonder how they can legally teach wheelie school. I mean come on, it's illegal to wheelie in the street, why are they teaching it. It's not like it's a sport or will ever come close to being a sport.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it all has to do with making money

·
Female Butt Lover!!
3,640 Posts
Money does talk! Just listen to Chiny! :D

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
RIP to her. Something must have really gone wrong...or maybe she wasn't wearing a helmet.

·
Ducatista
1,812 Posts
you can hold a class on anything you want in this country, we are a free nation but we are also a nation of laws. I'm sure she had a lid because that would have been a gross case for negligence if some one were to get hurt. Chances are she fell off and broke her neck, freak accident.

BTW the Keith Code school now also has a wheelie class. So it's a cash cow.

Many folks say that riding on the track is more dangerous then stunting, once again I say NO WAY! I know of many folks that have crashed at high rates of speed on the track and just walk away, of course there is always the chance that your that 1% but the odds are still in your favor. OK I'm getting down from my soap box. Carry On!

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
lets not start this argument guys. As a stunter of 4 years i have never sustained any serious injury resulting in a trip to the hospital. I have a few friends who ride on 2 wheels who have died and been seriously injured while simply riding. And as i have pointed out before cars were originally manufactured for driving to and from, not racing....how many of you have cars they know the E/T by heart? Exactly. not everything is black and white guys :) RIP to the woman who died. Do a search and get me some real statistics as to stunters who died in relation to people who died riding on 2 wheels. You will be surprised at what you find. Most REAL stunters who do it for show purposes are GOOD at it and dont attempt that stuff on highways and streets unless they are closed for a sanctioned event. Trust me guys all stunters arent worthless rebels, take time and know people before casting judgement....isnt that preudice? hmmm

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reckless01 said:
Do a search and get me some real statistics as to stunters who died in relation to people who died riding on 2 wheels. You will be surprised at what you find.
That is all about statistics. There are WAY more people riding a motorcycle vs people who stunt on a motorcycle. Just like there are WAY more people that die in car accidents vs bike accidents. Why? Because a shit load more people drive vs ride. That's all apples and oranges. You just can't compare the two.

I am not going to get involved in this discussion because I don't have enough knowledge on the track and stunting to put in my $0.02 but I did want to clarify that part I quoted you on.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
my thing is that there are more people riding the bikes "the way they are supposed to be ridden" than are stunting and i dont see a lot of stunters dying. Can you hear me now :) ....Gooooooooood :lao.....all im saying is that REAL stunt riders who are professional dont get killed because they practice day and night to get good. As i also stated i know and have ridden with about all of the stunters you can find on a video or web page and none have died. The only one i can think of is Karl From MI Xtremes and this was YEARS ago at area 51. You see doing a wheelie or endo alone is a calculated risk. it involves no one else, chances are if you are riding on the street you will be up against a car or truck. My point is that just because the bike "is meant to be ridden on 2 wheels" dont make it dangerous to ride it on one. the danger comes in to play when people lose respect for the machine or get careless and get themselves killed. That or when a motorist wipes them out. But hey like i said i am just standing up for the facts, those are simply that more people die each year riding a bike on 2 wheels than they do on one....prove me wrong? (im not being a dick here I just know im right therefore i will argue my point)

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, someone help me out here, I am either missing what Reckless is trying to say or I'm just not explaining myself properly. I am not trying to be a dick either I'm just trying to see both sides here. For the record reckless, I do agree with people needed to respect their machines.

·
Registered
924 Posts

·
Ducatista
1,812 Posts
Mark Twain said it best:

"there are three types of lies:
Lies,
Damnable Lies,
and Statistics."

With that said:

1- there are more None stunters then stunters riding on the street.
2- More cruisers are involved in fatal accidents then sport bikes

So when you say that stunters are killed or injured less then regular riders it's all relative to the numbers. If 2% of the riding public are stunters then the probability that none stunters are involved in less accidents is true, just by the numbers involved. You see statistics at work! Now a more valid formulation would be out of that 2% of stunters what is the rate of injury or death? see, this is what Chiney is getting at. I can take any statistic and make it work for me it all depend what the "X" and "Y" variables are.

I don't care if the stunters much like the street racer make themselves a greasy spot on the road I don't care, it not my life. I will say this much you are wrong about stunters and the pros not doing wheelies and stunts on the road ways. I have had the pleasure of riding with some local stunt groups (theses guys are professionals) and they wheelied all the way from the Fudds to the Spot where they practiced. I also have a bunch of stunting DVD's and in all of these guys are doing stunts on the expressway and in local hoods, so sorry your argument does not hold water. Once again to each their own and I'm not judging but it all relative.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Chinygyal said:
That's not helping :bitchslap
Its 1:30 thought i would help you to a snack ;)

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
Snowman said:
I will say this much you are wrong about stunters and the pros not doing wheelies and stunts on the road ways. I have had the pleasure of riding with some local stunt groups (theses guys are professionals) and they wheelied all the way from the Fudds to the Spot where they practiced. I also have a bunch of stunting DVD's and in all of these guys are doing stunts on the expressway and in local hoods, so sorry your argument does not hold water. Once again to each their own and I'm not judging but it all relative.
There in itself is the truth, there is the difference between pros and people who call themselves pro.

My original comments were because people allways say "bikes werent meant....) well a mans ass wasnt meant to have anything shoved in it but gays seem to enjoy it right? and as i have said 3 or 4 times before Cars werent built to race but its a multi billion dollar industry. To be frank motorcycles (like someone said before) are meant to carve corners at HIGH rates of speed etc....but THAT is illegal too so why sell bikes?? we can play ping pong on the issue but its all reletive. Wheelies are as illegal as doing 100mph around a corner. You rarely read a story on the news about a kid doing a wheelie losing control and killing people when he hits their car, (i have seen it which is why i said RARELY) but you hear about people all the time crashing into a car killing themselves and passengers in the vehicle at triple digit speeds.....lets for the sake of argument say it is JUST as wrong to do what the bike was MEANT to do on public roads as it is to do what its "not meant to do" :beer

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
All I can say is when did stunting (motorcycles) as we know it become a profession? I know there are stuntmen that do this for movies etc... but I think you are trying to say that people like (wtf) are those groups of stunters... Starboyz and the rest... can't think of their names are professionals? I don't think so. Not only do they ride and stunt at events, they ALSO ride and stunt on the streets... it is well known that they do that too...

·
Ducatista
1,812 Posts
Either way once again do what you enjoy! no matter what it is.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts