Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2 As 1
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed in a couple of threads (especially the ones regarding the Power Commander) People commenting on how lean the bike is, or how after fitting the Power Commander the bike runs much nicer, and cooler, because it's running a little richer.

Couldn't those of us without the Power Commander have the dealer just adjust this for us?

One other thing... How many people had their throttle bodies sync'd up at the 600mile mark. I ask because I know my dealer didn't do it for me. Just the standard 105.00 oil change/chain adjustment :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Enygma said:

Couldn't those of us without the Power Commander have the dealer just adjust this for us?
I asked the dealer to that for me, however, they said there are no adjustments available to the FI system on th USA spec bikes.

Just to be sure, I went in to the diagnostics program that can be accessed via the speedo, and sure enough, unlike to the Euro models, there are no modes of adjustment, just diagnostics.

By the way, this is not something I would reccomend anyone else doing unless you have experience with digital diagnostic programs, and the full workshop manual.

Skippy

·
Registered
291 Posts
To answer one Q: my throttle bodies were synch'd at 600.

As for the other:
Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of adding a set amount of fuel for all RPM ranges and conditions. The PC adds a percentage to the EFI's output. Looking at the base map, you can see there's actually some points where it subtracts fuel. The EFI's value changes depending on rpm, altitude, temperature, etc to achieve a certain A/F ratio. The cheap thing almost all auto/cycle makers do is use a narrow band oxygen sensor, which limits how accurately they can tune to the optimal A/F ratio.

Obviously there's a lot to this and the PC offers the benefit of tuneability without extensive rework.

·
Registered
30 Posts
cornman53 said:
Mine were sync'd at the 600 mile service and it made noticable difference in starting and smoothed out the idle.
What the heck is all this syncing all about? Can't see anything about this in the manual. Had this service today, and I really don't know.
Could anybody please explain this to me ? What is it, what is it good for?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
My dealer said a 600 mile service was not needed, just be sure to change the oil at 600 miles. I am now at 4000 miles and the bike runs smooth and no vibrations.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Cyph3r said:
What the heck is all this syncing all about? Can't see anything about this in the manual. Had this service today, and I really don't know.
Could anybody please explain this to me ? What is it, what is it good for?
It's in there somewhere, though easy to overlook.

"Electronic Fuel Injection: Check and adjust engine idle speed and synchronization."

Basically, you're making sure each of the 4 throttle bodies has the same amount of air flowing through it. Once you get the equipment, it is a really easy adjustment to make. If the throttle bodies get out of sync (and they do), you can get rough running, poor fuel economy, reduced power, etc.

Anthony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts