Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 1992 Kawasaki Ninja 500. There is an aftermarket Denso fan installed on the radiator, it's a 12volt fan. Someone previously connected it with the wrong gauge wire and the wires burned themselves out.

I'm trying to find out what gauge wire should be used to connect a 12volt fan.
We tried a 14 gauge wire and that burned up also.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we rewired it with the 14 gauge wire, it took about 3 seconds to burn out. There are 3 wires that are connected to the toggle switch that operates the fan. The wire that went to the battery & the wire that went to the fan both burned out, the grounding wire was fine.

I'll check to see if the fan was obstructed, I remember her saying something about the fan not coming on when the switch was flipped.

Probably won't get to it until Saturday.

Thanks for the suggestion SqDancerLynn1.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would also get a wire with an inline fuse. the fan is obviously pulling a lot of electricity, I'd probably recheck the fan ratings and look at how many amps it's pulling cause something doesn't seem right. possible bad connection in the switch or not grounded correctly.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
splice an inline fuse into the wire (doesnt matter what gauge wire because the fuse is the key) but start with a 10 amp fuse and see if that holds if not then looks for a bad ground or even a faulty fan replace fuse and try again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts