Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep having a problem with my wireless router losing connection. I keep getting a "your IP address has expired" I try and repair it but it can not renew it. So I end up have to disconnect the router from the cpu and plugging the cable line directly into the cpu. I'm only able to get about 2wks worth of time on the wireless before this happens. I had a neighbor come over and re-set my settings right around two weeks ago. Thought everything was good but can see now it's not.

No idea to what the cause is. I just unplug the modem for 30 second's, get it running and reboot the computer then I'm good to go.

The router I'm using is a Linksys WRT54G v2.2
The cpu i have is a basic 2.7 intel 512mb compaq.

When I initially got it I followed the instructions to a tee. The ONLY thing I can think why it's not work is when it asked for what type of secure network I wanted I didn't pick one because it warned of incompatiability. That's probably the reason there.

I figured there were enough computer geeks on here that could help me out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Make sure you download the latest flash update for the router from linksys.

Try one of two things. Go through the setup again and turn on WEP. You will pick a password for the router and use this in your wireless connection client.

Other option, turn off DHCP in the menu and manually assign an IP address to your PC's MAC address. This, combined with WEP, should make for a much more secure wireless network as well.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
youarealldoomed1977 said:
Make sure you download the latest flash update for the router from linksys.

Try one of two things. Go through the setup again and turn on WEP. You will pick a password for the router and use this in your wireless connection client.

Other option, turn off DHCP in the menu and manually assign an IP address to your PC's MAC address. This, combined with WEP, should make for a much more secure wireless network as well.
+1.

Grab each MAC address from opening up a command menu by going to Start -> Run -> (type in here) cmd. Then IPCONFIG /ALL. You might have two, one for the wired NIC and another obviously for the wireless NIC.

I'd also turn on the MAC Address Filtering (or something close to that) whereas you can only have the machines that you are using connect to your network. Even more secure than turning off DHCP and with WEP. Go the extra mile in the name of security!

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My neighbor mentioned that I was listed as a static IP and I should be on Dynamic. He switched me over but it still only last two weeks. When I unplug everything and reconnect it works just fine.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Maybe the router lost it's IP address. That happens to be quite frequently, not sure why either. Prob. bad modem. I'm still obviously connected to my network so I can print and share files, but no Internet connection, no IP.

Unplug modem and router for one minute, and then power up. Reconnect clients and volia!

Rascus, if you're still connected the network, not necessessarly the internet, you might want to open up a browser and type in the default gateway IP address which should be something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, etc. (check manual). And then check if the Router has a valid IP address on the WAN port or WAN IP. That's going to look totaly different, e.g. 24.129.4.56 or something like that. If it's 0.0.0.0, there's a problem.

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My neighbor did the IP of the 192. I'm not sure if he figured out the IP for the router.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
The one that the router basically receives should be the one that's automatically sent from your ISP. Could be always the same IP, but realistically it's liable to change from time to time. Not sure of a quick fix for that, maybe time to phone the ISP.

·
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to mess with it when I get home.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My router did the same thing... I messed with it for a week and tried EVERYTHING in the router and modem config.

But FINALLY one thing worked, try downloading this program called WinSock Fix and install it and do it on ALL of your computers. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
ok....

You are loosing your lease on the IP address from the ISP. Thus when you plug it back in to the cpu and not the router, you are getting the new IP.

Downloading the latsest firmware version is going to be helpful. It might resolve the DHCP issues that you are having with the ISP. (It's best to only do the firmware upgrade when on some form of battery backup/UPS system connected to both the router and CPU that the firmware is comming from, to prevent ruining the hardware all together.)

Another solution could be when you loose your connection, (every two weeks) unplug both the router, and the cable modem, and plug the cable modem in, wait for it to get link lights (all but ethernet, it is connected to a powered off device) and once it has established it's connection to the ISP, then plug in your router. At which point, it will request a new IP from the ISP and your problem should be resolved with this fix for another two weeks.

What is happening, is that when your router is requesting an ip from the ISP, it is getting it from a pool of IP's that they have available for your network segment. The IP comes with a lease. This one appears to be 2 weeks. The router also gets the IP address of the DHCP server (the server that has that pool of IP's) and once it has accepted the IP, it will store that information locally.) Halfway though the lease, the client (router in this situation) will request an updated lease from the DHCP server. In this situation that would be one week in to the lease. If the client can not contact the DHCP server, it will try again in 1/2 time till the lease expires, or 3.5 days) and then again in 1.75 days, and then again .875 days, and you get the point until it looses it's lease and the IP finally expires.

A good way to determine the cause of this problem is to try and ping the IP address of the DHCP server during the lease time renewal intervals. If the server is available (replys to pings) then it is likly the client not sending the request for the lease renewal. At which point it would be time to upgrade the firmware on the router.

Good luck!

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
We're all having wireless problems around here. Damn wireless :mad:

I have no advice, i just feel the pain and aggrivation of dealing with friggin wireless. Good luck. :D

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Inky24 said:
We're all having wireless problems around here. Damn wireless :mad:

I have no advice, i just feel the pain and aggrivation of dealing with friggin wireless. Good luck. :D
Speak for yourself champ. My shit works!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was having a similar problem, but it was with my work vpn. i downloaded the latest firmware from linksys and all is good now. try that first since it's very easy to do, and if it dosn't fix it, well atleast you have the latest firmware

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
Inky24 said:
:twofinger Im workin on mine right now....just give me a few hours :D

If you know your stuff go check my other thread out, maybe you have some advice for me?

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=285024
i'm sure that with 20 min and access to your computer I could resolve the problem. I have seen that before and it's pretty easy to fix IIRC, but I can't remember how to do it of the top of my head. one of those, have to play with situtations. Good luck tho.... :flipa
But here's my suggestion.... :comp
Get a new computer.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
oober said:
i'm sure that with 20 min and access to your computer I could resolve the problem. I have seen that before and it's pretty easy to fix IIRC, but I can't remember how to do it of the top of my head. one of those, have to play with situtations. Good luck tho.... :flipa
But here's my suggestion.... :comp
Get a new computer.
I hear ya, im one of those gotta be there to remeber types to. I figured it out though. It was so friggin simple, im just always looking for the hard way out. Device manager, ?other devices. Right click> properties and install driver. Go to network connections and access the wireless network. I'm up and running! :cheers

:comp This smiley rules. You can see the BSOD pop up then he just tosses it. I've been there before :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts