Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I know its kinda weird asking about winter gear in the middle of the summer but I want to start getting ready, so does anyone have anything they recomend, I plan on riding my bike as much as I can during the fall winter months this year, if its only to work and back (about 30mile round trip), btw Im in kentucky and I'll be riding into work around 5:30am so its going to be really cold. Think I'll be able to find gear that will keep me warm enough or should I just store it for the winter. Thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I rode most of the winter last year - January was the only month I didn't get out on the bike.

Here's my winter gear; it served me well in temps down to the 30's (and this was on a naked cruiser - my ZZR is much warmer):

Tourmaster Cortech Magnum leather jacket
EMS thermal shirt
EMS microfleece inner jacket
First Gear ST leather overpants, over jeans
First Gear Dakota gloves
balaclava; full-face helmet
Heavy leather boots with thermal socks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use longjohns under my leathers, a belaclava for keeping my head/neck warm, and Icon Patrol gloves (removeable fleece liner). Keeps me toasty in temps just below freezing, with windchills about -10 (celsius, not ferenheit).

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I just wear leather jacket with liner and leather pants with my ski gear over the top (bib and armored shell). I rode from houston to dallas and back in 30 degree weather with sleet and made it out comfortably, I really like the ski bib to ride in. Also had glove liners with icon barrier gloves and waterproof kayak socks with alpinestars gps-3 boots. Use a neck gaiter (from skiing) and a skullcap. The icon mainframe helmet is also much warmer than the arai rx7 I wear in summer.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
First Gear Kilimanjaro
First Gear HT overpants

Keeps me dry and warm down to 15* above 0.they have plenty of padding and removeable liners if the day get's warm.They will run you between $650 and $700 for the pair but are well worth it.I've ridden as much as 300 miles in the rain through the mountians in late September up here in Alaska and never once was I cold or wet.

In early spring and late winter,as long as the roads are not frozen,I'll leave my house for my comute to work and many times the temps will be in the teens.I don't get cold.

The jackett also has a buttload of pocketts.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
The firstgear pants pictured above are the shit...No wind or cold felt when I used them all winter....I wore a leather jacket with liner, longjohns and boots with some Firstgear winter gloves

·
Registered
457 Posts
I usually wear a long-sleeve workout shirt as a base layer. Those thick Starter running shirts that are designed to wick away sweat work great for me. I usually wear one or two of these and a sweatshirrt, then put my FG Speed jaclet on top. Good down to ~50. Below that I'm not sure I'd ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts