Sport Bikes banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw this mod a few months ago when i got my bike but put it off till yesterday- wow! it took me about an hour to cut it down and sand down to 600 grit but it was totally worth the time. i didn't realize how much of a blast to the head i was getting. it's like riding a different, better bike.

lostinaustin

·
I got your Back Marker!
244 Posts
Let's make this thread twice as worthless

I trimmed my screen down yesterday--and I didn't take pics either :neener
It took about 15 minutes, but I already had it off the bike.

I am about 6'5" and with the stock screen the wind stream hit me right under the chin. After reading about this mod last month I decided to try it, I made the mistake of a taking a ride after removing the screen and absolutly loved it. Much quieter and no buffeting at all. I rode that way for the last month. It looked funny but I sure did enjoy it.
I finally got tired of explaining why I was missing the screen and decided to put it back on. I used a jig saw and cut it down in seconds and then spent about 10 minutes smoothing and re installing it.

I like it better than stock, but no where near as much as no screen at all. Now the wind hits me about 6 inches below the bottom of my helmet. That cuts down on the buffeting, but does not eleminate it. Wind noise is loud again too. That sucks.

Does this mean I have to go naked to be happy?

·
Wait! What just happened?
345 Posts
Well I hear naked is good. But maybe try a "hood-scoop" for the screen to catch the wind and direct it under the screen.

·
I got your Back Marker!
244 Posts
What do you mean by hood scoop? Got a pic for an example? I am willing to try.

Here is a couple of pics, no befores, go look at your own.

lostin, sorry if I stole your thread :cheers

·
I got your Back Marker!
244 Posts
Yep Steve, this is all your fault :boink

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I posted the original mod and here is how it is done.

2006 windscreen mod - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

I hope this works for you guys.

I took my Puig double bubble off and did this mod and then took it 3500km to test it. It is great and simple to do. The Db is still on the bench at home.

Glad you like it LostinAustin.

Steve
thanks, steve. i think it was your thread that inspired me to cut mine down. good job!!

lostinaustin

·
Wait! What just happened?
345 Posts
Basically I was thinking if you could find a way to scoop the turbulant air that is closest to the windscreen and re-direct it.

Kind of like this wind scoop only lower to catch the unwanted "dirty" air before it leaves the top of the windscreen and smacks you in the head.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Its an idea but you have to think of how you fasten the screen to the bike.

I have done about 5000km with the cut down screen now and the difference is really noticeable.

You have heard the expression "If its not bust, don`t fix it" Well thats how I feel about this screen. I was fortunate but I cant see how the screen can be improved upon.

Next year I will look at the mirrors but they have an unusual mount on the 2006 FZ6 so i will have to find something that fits but also that I like.

Steve

·
I got your Back Marker!
244 Posts
Steve have you ridden in cold weather yet? Did you wish you had the Puig then?

The cutdown is better than stock, but not as good as no shield at all.
I think it looks better and performs better since the windstream does not hit me in the chin anymore.

·
I got your Back Marker!
244 Posts
PUIG > stock > cutdown > naked.

In terms of rider comfort.
I think it would be naked>cutdown>puig>stock
But I have not tried a puig yet. So far the no screen was by far the best IMO.

No blast or buffeting at all. It was actually quieter inside my helmet, noticibly quieter.
I do only ride back roads and around town, no interstates at all.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
I think it would be naked>cutdown>puig>stock
But I have not tried a puig yet. So far the no screen was by far the best IMO.

No blast or buffeting at all. It was actually quieter inside my helmet, noticibly quieter.
I do only ride back roads and around town, no interstates at all.
Well, I should have put a disclaimer on my last post. This is ALL going to be different from rider to rider. Our bodies are all different, and while the stock screen might be nice for some, it was horrible for me.

The PUIG screen is, for me (5'10" + longish arms) the most comfortable option. No buffeting, no nasty wind noise, no wind pushing my helmet to and fro...its absolutely perfect.

In terms of rider comfort in general, you want to get as much wind off of your head and torso as possible....and for most riders a b***** windscreen is going to do that the best.

Oh, and if you don't ride at 70mph+ on the highway, it really doesn't matter. This is really only an issue for highway riding...that is to say that you may find your setup is great around town and absolutely terrible at 70mph or so. Highway speeds are the true test of a good windscreen setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts