Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone, my names Paul and I'm pretty new to riding. I recently purchased a 2005 cbr600f4i and I have a whole 500 miles under my belt so far:banana. Definitely getting hooked none the less. One of my biggest struggles right now is when I'm riding 60mph+ the wind resistance makes me feel like I'm going to lose control. It moves me back and forth and it feels like I could easily lose control of steering. Is it possible to get speed wobble 60mph? Can anyone relate to this or give me some good advice on what to do? Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
300 Posts
Countersteering. Your bike should have more control in severe weather than a car. Unless the tires are unbalanced, which could amplify bad conditions.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Put more miles under your belt. Eventually you won't even notice it. My first few times on the highway felt like the wind was going to blow me off my bike.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Comes with experience man. Kinda like going over a grated bridge. First time will prob freak you out a bit.

Try riding a sm down the interstate. That's no Bueno.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You have too much weight on your hands and you're holding on too tight. The wind is moving your upper body around. That movement is being translated to your handlebars, making the bike move around in your lane. Which scares you and makes you hold on tighter, which makes the bike move around more, etc.

First, squeeze the tank with your knees, hard. Don't hunch over. Bend at the waist, arch your back a little bit, and hold your upper body up wiht the muscles in your lower back. That will keep the weight off your hands. Now, relax your upper body and loosen up the grip on the bars. You should literally be able to ride using just your fingertips to steer the bike.

If you do all that the wind won't bother you. The bike may move around a little bit in your lane, but it won't be a big deal.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
^^ what jim said. You are just holding on too tight man. Loosen up and you'll find when your body gets blown around your bike doesn't necessarily follow.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
What Jim said above. But be aware that significant wind gusts (50 MPH and the like) will require input to stay in your lane.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Excellent advice Jim, I appreciate it. I'm definitely holding on tight when the wind starts tossing me around. Ill try doing exactly what you said and see if it helps. I've seen videos of my bike doing 140+ with no problems(not trying to go that fast) but it shows that its me and not the bike. Also, like blu and max said, Im sure it will come naturally to me with more miles. Thanks again guys :cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts