Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been dreaming of getting a bike for some time now. I have finally decided that I’ll work and save up this summer and go for it once school starts back up in the fall.

One problem though… my parents are 100% against bikes and would probably cut me off financially or make me sell it if they are to keep paying my tuition.

I’m 19, so everything can be done in my name. I will probably change the address on my license to my current apartment instead of my parents house in case anything comes in the mail (will anything? Insurance flyers? Speeding tickets class ads?).

Physically hiding it from them shouldn’t be a problem since I live 200 miles away.

Okay, so my concern is that I am overlooking something and my parents will eventually find out. Anything I can do to safeguard myself against this?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Can you become a ninja before you buy the bike..... those skills would definitely help.

:bitchslap

No, seriously, I knew a number of guys that did it when they were away for "school"... all you need to do is:

a) never crash it
b) never get a ticket on it [if your parents pay your insurance.. they'll find out]
c) store it away from them [never bring it home]
d) NEVER get your picture taken on it [finds it's way to them buy mistake]
e) all your friends / gf keep their mouth shut when they are around your 'rents
f) don't get in $$ trouble b/c of it and have to ask for more from m & d

Be smart and you can do it... I commandeered a bike from a buddy of mine that had to go back to Wash D.C. b/c he didn't want his parents finding out about it.... THAT was a great summer!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
i was in the same boat for the longest time...I just saved my money. I was gonna keep it at school and even store it at my friends. My parents don't like bikes either. I bought one when i turned 21 (was finishing my junior yr) and just let my parents know. Actually they found out when i left early in the morning and returned in the afternoon with the bike in the back of the truck. Yea i got the silent treatment from my mom, but its not that they don't trust you it's everyone else on the road. They learned to except it.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do , but just stay safe

·
Registered
418 Posts
WORST thing you could do is get it, crash it AND get hurt on it, ALL in the first year you have it.... that would basically PROVE their case why they don't want you to have one.

My dad said the same thing to me... [although I had been riding for a number of years] and my response to him was: "I thought I was going to crash at a significantly higher speed than I did.... I thought I would have slid farther at 75mph".... his jaw DROPPED.

·
Registered
182 Posts
They will likely find out and when they do they will definitely feel as if you've violated their trust. The repurcussions of that are way worse than being up-front and reasoning with them. Besides when they do find out you're likely guaranteed to be out the financial support.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my question is why would u do it man...

i mean you're parents dish out thousands of dollars to raise you, they spends tens of thousands on your tuition, and thats only the money side of things.

so why go against their word if they are that against it? you at least owe it to them to agree with them cuz bikes are dangerous you can't deny it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Your 19 they should let you do what you want to do with your own money.

I would try just talking it into them. Since I was 17 I wanted one to, and I needed my parents credit to buy the ninja 250 and later zx6r I'm getting soon. It took a year or so to change their minds about it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
SO that's how you repay your parents for sacrificing, raising and providing for you and for your future? You go behind their backs and dishonor and disrespect them?? What the hell went wrong.....

·
Banned
46 Posts
uhm... ask them 4 50 buck every other day for .. gas .. and if they give you a gas car... fill up other folks .. cars... when they ask why .. tell them tha you have been puttin more miles on your car...

then go buy a cheap... moped with pedals to the ones you see drunk people ride to bars you can get a new one for about 500 bucks.... buy alot of gear crazy gear ..which you will use on your ...real bike ... in the next paragraph

have them come visit and meet them @ the store with like 20 bags of cornchips strapped to the bike.....then ... when they see you ... give them back the gas card and tell them it gets 100 miles to the gallon... .have then follow you back to the campus ..with blue smoke coming out the 2 stroke @ 22.8 miles per hour... .. then slowly take off the 10 sets of gear you have on... if iam right they should LOL @ you .. and tell you can be carefull.....

was that an approval to ride... now.. park that darn go-ped .. and get what you want ...

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
If you're going to be a man, then talk to them straight - like a man would. There's nothing wrong with getting a bike, but there is something wrong with hiding it from your folks.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I say just keep bringing up the idea to them, talk about the MPG bikes get over cars/trucks, and bring up the MSF, they'll start getting used to it, but I agree dont hide it from them, but also you are 19, I think its about time your parents started respecting you as an adult and if you want to put in the extra time at work to buy something you want they shouldn't stand in your way, as long as you stay respectable to them and dont hide stuff like this from them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The thought of asking them before I buy never even crossed my mind. I guess the reason for this was that all my life I have heard motorcycles are death traps from my parents.

But you have to know my parents. They are the extremely, unrealistically paranoid type. Example would be the recent shark attack in the news; my mom turns to me and starts a dead serious conversation on why I should only go ankle deep into the water when I go to the beach (you have a much higher chance of dieing in a car on the way to the beach than by a shark).

But you are all right. If I think that I’m responsible enough to ride a bike, I should take the responsibility of discussing it with my parents first. So that’s what I have decided to do.

I will take the MSF first so that they know I’m serious about it. But to tell you the truth, if I do this there is little chance of me ever getting a bike with my parent’s approval.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Why not do research and present your argument to them like a class project. Show them the MSF courses, the PPE (gear), the economics of owning a motor, and show them which bike you want to start on, and how much it will cost. Your parents weren't born 40 years old. If you show them you have put a great deal of thought and effort into this project, and it is not some passing whim, they might surprise you...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lightrum151 said:
then go buy a cheap... moped with pedals to the ones you see drunk people ride to bars you can get a new one for about 500 bucks.... buy alot of gear crazy gear ..which you will use on your ...real bike ... in the next paragraph
heh, arnt those called Faggio's in grand theft auto :lol ?

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Dude, I did exactly what you are talking about. Bought my bike, kept it in the neighbors barn until I worked up the courage a week later to go home and face the music.

There's an old saying, "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission." and my parents were cool, but they were cool because I went to them like an adult and said this was what I wanted. That's why I'm saying just suck it up and talk to them about it - be respectful and don't whine when they lay out their argument. Then start negotiating. You might not get the bike this way, but you will get their respect and that will help you later on.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
bumblebee said:
Why not do research and present your argument to them like a class project. Show them the MSF courses, the PPE (gear), the economics of owning a motor, and show them which bike you want to start on, and how much it will cost. Your parents weren't born 40 years old. If you show them you have put a great deal of thought and effort into this project, and it is not some passing whim, they might surprise you...
It worked for me! It's a process, but it should work...

Remind them that you have your safety in mind, constantly.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
rush989 said:
Okay, so my concern is that I am overlooking something and my parents will eventually find out. Anything I can do to safeguard myself against this?
What you're overlooking is the fact that as an adult you need to learn to behave as such and deal with your family correctly.
Do you have a huge lack of respect for them, or are you just anable to manage your own life?

If you where to get hurt in a wreck, would you expect them to hide thier caring and concern for you?

Just my 2 cents, but it sounds like a bad decision - do it correctly or not at all.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Dude, just talk to your parents. Don't talk to them like you're asking for their permission, talk as if the decision has already been made and you're just letting them know, and trying to ease their minds. Explain to them that while you are their child, you are a young adult capable of making reasonable, responsible decisions FOR THE RIGHT REASONS.

In my opinion, any parent who would 'cut off' their child's college tuition over something as trivial as the mode of transportation they choose isn't a very good parent at all. If it were me, I'd talk to them, try to make them feel better about it, and then do whatever the hell I want. If they couldn't deal with it then I'd work my ass off to put myself through college just to prove them wrong...

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Yep, talk to them. It may take a while, but it's the right thing to do. Start with MSF in any case.

It always amazes me how "kids" think they can keep something like that a secret for longer than about a week. :lol They'll slip up, their friends will slip up, they'll be seen, etc. Some never grow beyond believing that they're essentially invisible. I find this quite amusing.

·
Registered
501 Posts
if my child did something like that to me, I'd seriously beat that deceitful SOB. I don't have children, but being lied to by your own blood would hurt. I couldn't do something like to my parents. I love them. they'd give me everything they had if they knew it would make me happy. I respect them. as long as they are footing the bill for your life, you shouldn't disrespect them. your parents should know who you are, you shoudn't have to go around hiding who you are and what you do from them. that is disrespectful, dishonest, shows lack of character. Be upfront with them and if you present a good case then they might see it your way. I waited till I was done with college to get a bike. while in college you are so busy and so broke that a bike is just another distraction. Bikes are luxuries. work on getting a liscense first. take the MSF. Don't lie to your parents, I'm sure they don't lie to you.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts