Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Please ignor that article. Like all things MCN it's a load of shit.

It's a Photoshop, look at the following...

ABS VFR side fairings
CBR1100XX front fender, forks, and wheel
GSX-R 600/750 headlight
1000RR scoops on the front fairing

...and what looks like a pair of CBR600 side mirrors.

If you read the article it will say that it is indeed a CGI representation of what they think the bike will be, but I'm calling bullshit. If it happens I'll buy it, but I doubt it'll happen.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Bigt79 said:
Oh yeah, I forgot about hte new BMW, this should get interesting :)
The new BMW is a reality, this Honda is just a rumor.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mykl said:

It's a Photoshop, look at the following...

ABS VFR side fairings
CBR1100XX front fender, forks, and wheel
GSX-R 600/750 headlight
1000RR scoops on the front fairing

...and what looks like a pair of CBR600 side mirrors.

If you read the article it will say that it is indeed a CGI representation of what they think the bike will be, but I'm calling bullshit. If it happens I'll buy it, but I doubt it'll happen.
I don't know about the credibility of the site, but it says in there that it won't be onsale till 2006, and that that is just a CGI of what it might look like. Nowhere did I say that it was what it was going to look like. As the subject says, could it be the new king, not it is. Reread my post :twofinger

·
Registered
522 Posts
Would be cool, but it's just that, a rumor. That bike looks like a combination of everything Honda makes...

·
Registered
558 Posts
well they need to come out with something to replace the blackbird, maybe it'll just be a showroom queen like the Rune.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Honda has the ST1300. I haven't heard a peep about that bike, but I thought it was to replace the Blackbird. Honda could just tweak the ST to make it more XX-like.
I'm surprised. The open bike market has been leaning more towards touring and getting away from the top speed races now that literbikes are approaching ludicrous speeds. Both Kawi and Honda have gone for more plush open classers while Suzuki seems to be still enamored with being the fastest/sportiest.

·
Registered
498 Posts
190hp? I'm not impressed. If they are trying to bring a V5 GP derivative engine to market, it must be known that the 2004 GP engines are rumored to lay down over 200hp at the rear wheel. I've heard numbers between 195-203hp for the 2004 spec RCV. Yamaha M1 performance from their inline four is similar.

The problem here is aerodynamics, not power. It would take something like 240hp to push a bike shaped like the Interceptor to 200mph and I don't know if it could stay together in the process. Whatever you may think of the Busa, ZX-12R and Blackbird, study the machines. Shaping and engineering play a big part in giving them their speed. The Blackbird was designed to be slippery. So was the ZX-12R, albeit in a different way. The 'Busa achieves its speed dominantly through its mixture of power and aerodynamics.

GP bikes achieve their speed through brute force and aerodynamics. It may not be obvious but there is a certain amount of fairing shaping going on in GP but since road-handling manners aren't a priority, power can be thrown at the problem. The 'Busa did not have that luxury if it was to be accepted (along with its competitors).

Stock 1000s routinely crack 180mph. This is not far off the performance curve of top-flight MotoGP bikes. 500cc GP two-strokes topped at 185-190mph and the 2002 and 2003 spec GP bikes were in the high-190s and tickling 200mph. 2004 machines break 200mph on the right circuits.

They can go all-out if they want. The reason the speed wars have died off is there is no purpose to them in North America except prestige. I wouldn't buy such a machine just as I won't buy a Hayabusa. I have no need for that type of power.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Mykl said:
I agree...I don't even pay MCN attention anymore...I've seen too many articles by them where they photoshop a pic and claim it to be real...I'll wait for an official announcement by Honda...

·
Registered
576 Posts
linuxbikr said:
190hp? I'm not impressed. If they are trying to bring a V5 GP derivative engine to market, it must be known that the 2004 GP engines are rumored to lay down over 200hp at the rear wheel. I've heard numbers between 195-203hp for the 2004 spec RCV. Yamaha M1 performance from their inline four is similar.

The problem here is aerodynamics, not power. It would take something like 240hp to push a bike shaped like the Interceptor to 200mph and I don't know if it could stay together in the process. Whatever you may think of the Busa, ZX-12R and Blackbird, study the machines. Shaping and engineering play a big part in giving them their speed. The Blackbird was designed to be slippery. So was the ZX-12R, albeit in a different way. The 'Busa achieves its speed dominantly through its mixture of power and aerodynamics.

GP bikes achieve their speed through brute force and aerodynamics. It may not be obvious but there is a certain amount of fairing shaping going on in GP but since road-handling manners aren't a priority, power can be thrown at the problem. The 'Busa did not have that luxury if it was to be accepted (along with its competitors).

Stock 1000s routinely crack 180mph. This is not far off the performance curve of top-flight MotoGP bikes. 500cc GP two-strokes topped at 185-190mph and the 2002 and 2003 spec GP bikes were in the high-190s and tickling 200mph. 2004 machines break 200mph on the right circuits.

They can go all-out if they want. The reason the speed wars have died off is there is no purpose to them in North America except prestige. I wouldn't buy such a machine just as I won't buy a Hayabusa. I have no need for that type of power.
When there is posing power, and bragging rights at stake, there will always be a demand, especially in North America. Besides how easy would it be to add spinners to that single sided swingarm shown in the pictures above.

·
Registered
569 Posts
linuxbikr said:

I think we all understand that most of what we're discussing here is pure bullshit.

But I don't understand what isn't to be impressed about with 190 hp. We're talking about an engine to be used on the street, for many thousands of miles. Of course it's going to make less power, most of us can't afford to rebuild our engines after a few laps of track riding.

You're dead on with the bit about aerodynamics though. It's the reason why my XX can go as fast as the new liter class bikes, despite being down about 15-20 hp when compared to any one of them.

IMO, 190 hp is pretty damn impressive for a street sport bike. Also, what you said about the Hayabusa... you may not need that kind of power, but also consider that even with that power it's even more user friendly than any of the new generation 600 supersport machines. I know my XX certainly is a lot more gentle than any race replica I've ever been on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wasn't it MCN that had the article a couple of years ago stating that the Norton Nemisis would be the bike to take the Busa's spot....What happened to that. I waited and waited but never saw Norton produce anything even close to the Nemisis picture in the article.

·
Registered
569 Posts
thefuzz said:
Wasn't it MCN that had the article a couple of years ago stating that the Norton Nemisis would be the bike to take the Busa's spot....What happened to that. I waited and waited but never saw Norton produce anything even close to the Nemisis picture in the article.
Supposedly there was also a Triumph somewhere in there that was going to dethrone the 'Busa. I think that project got canned though.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Didn't the Japanese manufacturers make a deal that they wouldn't compete for top speed honors? European legislators were threatening to pass laws limiting top speed.

·
Registered
569 Posts
mercutio80 said:
Didn't the Japanese manufacturers make a deal that they wouldn't compete for top speed honors? European legislators were threatening to pass laws limiting top speed.
Yeah, but Triumph, BMW, and Norton aren't Japanese manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yeah, but Triumph, BMW, and Norton aren't Japanese manufacturers.
But the topic of this thread is Honda's supposed superbike.

Most reviews have already said the Beemer won't break any records, and Triumph has scrapped their attempt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts