Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently run 120 70 17 and 160 60 17.

If I change to 120 60 17 and 150 60 17 will it change to a lower center of gravity feel? My bike is top heavy in feel. Or is the change in height just slim to notice.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Going to a narrower rear tire will likely make the bike feel like it turns in even quicker than it does now. My bike came with the factory with a 190 rear, and some people use a 180 to make it feel a little more agile.

I'd be willing to bet that the change you mentioned would actually do the opposite of what you want. The 60 vs 70 in front might help you a little, but not much.

·
Are we not men?
9,010 Posts
The narrower section width on the rear (with the same rim width) will flatten the profile (slightly), also reducing rear ride height (again, slightly).

Is your suspension set for your weight? Improper sag will greatly affect handling, especially if one end is worse than the other. Low in the front (or high in the rear) will tend to make steering react more quickly, whereas high in the front (or low in the rear) will tend to slow steering.

Back to the tires: are we talking stock tires or have they been replaced? If replaced, were they replaced with OEM? Different tires can have greatly different profiles, which will also affect steering feel. Some bike manufacturers specify special spec tires that differ somewhat from the regular version, different rubber compound and different profile are two of the things that may change from the regular version. I don't know if this is the case with your bike specifically and am too lazy to look it up right now, sorry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts