Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just came off a ride, which had me travel over a segment of road that was wetted for only 100 meters. With so little water, the rear tire kicks up the spray and dumps it on top of the rear hugger, chain guard, swing arm, etc. As I am an all-weather rider, I would like to create some better rain protection for the rear end. Interestingly, the front tire creates very little water spray.

Here is a picture of what all our bikes look like after just a bit of spray.

Following is a concept for extending the rear hugger to the tail fender. This is a cheap mod that I would like to do.

Design:
- Use 3 mm sheet rubber, roughly 8" wide by 12" long.
- Fasten to top side, along rear edge of lower hugger.
- Fasten to inside face, at mid point of rear fender.
- Rubber sheet will be curved transversely over the hugger, to fit.
- Fasten with metal machine screws.
- Allign slope of rubber flap to be angled equal with muffler (cosmetic)

Caution:
- Ensure adequate slack in rubber sheet to allow elongation as suspension travels.
- Ensure adequate fastening, lest the sheet gets sucked under the hugger.
- Aerodynamics at full speed (beats me, but this might be a serious problem)!

Question:
- Can you guys think why this won't work, or shouldn't be done?
(Please disregard asthetics .. I know it's not sporty.)
- Why don't I see closer fitting fenders on touring bikes (cruisers have it)?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
You might want to use pop rivets from the under side instead of screws. They're more permanent and you don't have to worry about them falling out or driving themselves through your tire.

You might be able to use heavier rubber and add a stiffener along the center so that it doesn't fall onto the tire, and you wouldn't have to attach it to the fender (it would float with the swingarm).

Or you could talk to the guys at OCC or WCC and have them make you a wrap around fender.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It might work but not really sure. The main thing I would worry about is the slack between the fender & hugger and the rear is moving up/down while riding.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Segue00,

I have wondered about those on the BMW enderos.

Is it to scrape mud off the wheel, or somehow capture the water spray?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
greatzippy said:
It might work but not really sure. The main thing I would worry about is the slack between the fender & hugger and the rear is moving up/down while riding.
I did a quick mockup. It doesn't look too bad.

However, in place the hazard becomes quite obvious. The underside will feel some suction from the wheel spin. The topside will feel alot of pressure from the through-wind hitting off the back face of the fender tail.

There is about 30 lbs of force on this flap at highway speeds. This is going to really strain the holes thru rubber where the screws are affixed. If the flap breaks free, there is a small risk the rubber will get sucked into the wheel well, and lock-up the tire. As a remedy, the rubber sheet will need a metal rim at both ends - more cost.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
And, it's a "flapper". I know you said you didn't care much for aesthetics, but that would annoy me even if I don't see it.

[edit] Looking at the picture again, I think that at suspension's full compression, the tire might rub and eat away the mod. Might be an issue, not sure.

How about a more rigid metal or plastic piece just extending the hugger following the contour/diameter of the wheel?

·
Registered
111 Posts
skeleton said:
- Why don't I see closer fitting fenders on touring bikes (cruisers have it)?
If you go to Yamaha-motor, this bike is listed as super sport. Granted the setting position is more of a sport tour and not aggressive, but a bike with a R6 engine, IMO I would not classify as a touring bike. If anything, I think it could do without the hugger and give it more of a sport naked look esp. combined with a FE kit.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today was raining, so it was a suitable time to test out my mockup. The mockup is virtually the same as the photo markup above. It had mixed results.

GOOD:
- Catched all the water flying off from rear tire.
- Underside of upper fender (wheel well) was totally dry.
- Wind force was minor, with little stress on fasteners.

POOR:
- Rotation of swing arm necessitated substantial sloop in flap sheet.
- Spray water still collected on underside of hugger, which then spilled onto chain fender, swing arm, etc. Well, that is totally what I am trying to avoid.
- Spray water from front tire still soaked lower side of engine, etc.

RESULT:
- The hugger extension mod worked within its capacity. It's limited result was keeping the wheel well dry and clean.
- Water sources elsewhere overshadowed the intention of this mod. That is, either way, the rear section of the bike still gets substantially wet from other spray sources.

CONCLUSION:
- The mod is not worth it. Oh well?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts