Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be in the process of getting boots, gauntlet gloves, and a one/two piece riding suit. For someone that's just getting into track what would you recommend. I know each person has their own likes and dislikes please share.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
a two pc is a good way to go for the street. when it's hot you don't want to be walking around with it on and holding it up with it 1/2 way off is a pain in the ass.

I'm only telling you this because I wasted so much time switching to perforated boots I wish I did it so much sooner than I did. go perforated on the boots. it's been the best decision i've made in gear since I bought my shoei helmet.
I have sidi st air's and oh my god it's so much more comfortable riding now. I highly recommend perforated boots. they're typically more expensive but it's worth it.

I haven't been gear shopping for about a year. but the teknic Xcelerator gloves were offering some of the best features for the cost over any glove on the market in my opinion. kangaroo palms, (much better than cow leather in feel and abrasion resistance) knox palm sliders,etc etc. very loaded glove for the price. TEKNIC Xcelerator Gloves White from SportbikeTrackGear.com

·
Registered
592 Posts
Will be in the process of getting boots, gauntlet gloves, and a one/two piece riding suit. For someone that's just getting into track what would you recommend. I know each person has their own likes and dislikes please share.
Your budget will dictate what you will be getting, in addition you will need a good back protector. Go with 2pc if you have odd proportions so you can size your jacket and pants differently.

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Good to hear got a buddy whose going to sell me his old one fits good.
If you have a quality, used suit available to buy, buy used. You'll save a ton of money and you can sell it when you either move on from the track or from the used suit. It's an expensive sport, find smart places to save money. I think Kobe and AGVSport both offer nice value in leathers if you're buying new. I also prefer one-piece suits. I rather wear a textile jacket on the street and shorts and a T-shirt over my underarmor in the pits. If my leathers are on, it's almost riding time.

As far as gloves go, I like Held gloves. Deals are rarely found on Helds, but occasionally STG will have a special on an older model. This is not a place to try to save money. I had a pair of Helds that lasted through at least five on-track crashes and gave them to a friend who crashed in them one more time without issue.

Boots are another place that you can save money and buy used. I agree that buying boots with LOTS of venting is well worth the price. I have Sidi Vortice Air's. The air flow is amazing.

Back protector is one of those places that you wanna buy new. The foam in your leathers, is not a back protector. It's a super important safety item. Get a good one.

Helmets should be a commonsense item, but make sure you're AT LEAST compliant with the rules of the organization.

Beyond that, have fun!!!

Based on your location, I wouldn't suggest going to Summit Main, especially with a GS500, for your first track day. There's two other circuits at Summit Point; Jefferson (JC) and Shenandoah. Both are much slower (though scarier to look at). Don't try to get an HRC deal on your first couple of laps. All of the Summit tracks seem to take a bit of time to get heat into them. If you take your time, you'll progress much faster. You learn more when your head is clear and not in survival mode.

You're also lucky in that there are several quality track day providers that do dates at Summit Point; Team Promotion, Roger Lyle's MotorcycleXcitement, NESBA and maybe Absolute.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
If you have a quality, used suit available to buy, buy used. You'll save a ton of money and you can sell it when you either move on from the track or from the used suit. It's an expensive sport, find smart places to save money. I think Kobe and AGVSport both offer nice value in leathers if you're buying new. I also prefer one-piece suits. I rather wear a textile jacket on the street and shorts and a T-shirt over my underarmor in the pits. If my leathers are on, it's almost riding time.
+1 to the AGVSport suit. I have a 2 piece that has been through 4 crashes ranging from 45mph to 120mph. Worst injury is a fractured pinky (so obviously not the suits fault). I'll be selling it to a friend this summer when I pick up my custom 1 piece :D :D :D

As far as gloves go, Held makes a good product, but a new company (new, but definitely a fantastic product), Hazardous Racing, just put out a great new glove! It is definitely pricey ($250 right now for special new product pricing) but will compete with any high end glove out there. It all depends on your budget.

If you are tall, I'd recommend a 2 piece unless you can afford a custom 1 piece suit. But if your buddy has one he is selling you, I assume you are of a more standard size than I am.

Get boots with good ankle protection, I've been lucky with mine, but seriously need some better ones. Same with gloves and wrist and finger protection. Helmet is obviously a must, buy what fits you best (or use your current one if it meets the standards).

There's a lot of track experience here, check out the Track Days forum for any specific questions. All of us track day regulars seem to be there (and a few racers who put this slow guy to shame)!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I like AlpineStars SP2 gloves. Not terribly expensive, good quality, and hold up well in a crash.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Take a look at Scorpion SG3 gloves. Lot's of bang for the buck. Look at the review on YouTube from revzilla. I have them and they are super comfortable and light. All kevlar stitching and palm made from kangaroo. I have a two piece suit. AGV Laguna jacket I got for only $209 and AGV Willow leather pants. I have SIDI ST boots which are awesome and very comfortable.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your budget will dictate what you will be getting, in addition you will need a good back protector. Go with 2pc if you have odd proportions so you can size your jacket and pants differently.

Have fun.
Not to worried about the price I pay for the gear. I planned on making a down payment for another bike, but decided to hold off for a while. I'm using that to get started

1 - 10 of 10 Posts