Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to bring the FZ6 back to life and the last thing I need to do is get a new front and rear rim since the ones that one on there are bent. I cant seem to find any used ones but Im seeing plenty of R6 used wheels. Will I be able to use the rims from an R6 on the FZ6 or do I just have to bite the bullet and pay the money for OEM wheels?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
691 Posts
R6 wheels are exactly the same, just make sure it's the five spoke ones not the earlier three spoke (duh, obviously) the brake discs won't fit so you'll need to transfer your old ones over, if you're doing it yourself you need to make sure you undo the bolts in 1/4 turn stages in a criss cross pattern until they're all loose (this stops the disc warping and stops you stripping any bolts heads/threads) The sprocket carrier and cush drive rubbers will fit straight in.

·
R6S Crash Cushion
1,392 Posts
middleurb said:
Trying to bring the FZ6 back to life and the last thing I need to do is get a new front and rear rim since the ones that one on there are bent. I cant seem to find any used ones but Im seeing plenty of R6 used wheels. Will I be able to use the rims from an R6 on the FZ6 or do I just have to bite the bullet and pay the money for OEM wheels?

Thanks in advance.

My understanding is that we use identical rims and rotors up front (applies to 04-06 FZ6 and 03-04 R6 and 06-07 R6S). However, we have different part numbers (maybe for color?). Other parts that connect to the rim (wheel spacers, axles, etc.) may be very different. I know from doing the FZ6 to R6 Fork Swap Mod that the 05 FZ6 axle has a ~14mm hex allen end while the 03 R6 axle has a ~14mm hex allen with a 22mm (I think it was 22mm) tigthening hex bolt. In this way, the R6 axle will only work with the R6 Forks.

Ron Ayers is your friend is this case

04 FZ6
5SL-25168-00-35
Description CAST WHEEL, FRONT

04 R6
5SL-25168-00-98
Description CAST WHEEL, FRONT

04 FZ6
5SL-25338-00-35
Description CAST WHEEL, REAR

04 R6
5SL-25338-00-98
Description CAST WHEEL, REAR

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
Ok, so a little more detail requested on this one just to make sure I'm on the same page as you guys.

1. The front R6 wheel from a 2003 or 2004 (what about 2005?) bike will fit our 2004 or 2005 FZ6 wheel with no changes, same rotors and everything? What's this about the axle?

2. What about the rear wheel?

Thanks everyone.

:cheers

·
R6S Crash Cushion
1,392 Posts
biker6 said:
Ok, so a little more detail requested on this one just to make sure I'm on the same page as you guys.

1. The front R6 wheel from a 2003 or 2004 (what about 2005?) bike will fit our 2004 or 2005 FZ6 wheel with no changes, same rotors and everything? What's this about the axle?

2. What about the rear wheel?

Thanks everyone.

:cheers
According to the Yamaha-Motor.com Parts Catalog, the 04-06 uses the same wheels (except for the last segment of the part number, assuming color code), front and back, as the 03-05 R6/06-07 R6S (08 unlisted yet).

However, check out what happens with the front rotors (DISC BRAKE ASSY).

03-04 R6/06-07 R6S front rotor
5SL-2581T-00-00

05 R6 front rotor
5SL-2581T-10-00

04-06 FZ6 front rotor
5VX-2581T-00-00

07 FZ6 front rotor
5VX-2581T-01-00

-------------------------

And then look at what happens with the rear rotors.

03-05 R6/06-07 R6S rear rotor (DISC, REAR BRAKE 2)
5SL-2582W-00-00

04-06 FZ6 rear rotor
5VX-2582W-00-00

07 FZ6 rear rotor
2D1-2582W-00-00

------------

So kind of predictibly and trying to figure out what the Part Number segmentation means, I'm getting this: "Sub Assembly"-"Part Number"-"Revision"-"Color Code". So based on that and what we do know about the year to year changes, the 05 R6 front rotor may be incompatible, mostly because of the change in the braking system required by going to inverted forks. The 07 FZ6 front rotor is probably incompatible and it probably due to the new four-piston monoblock calipers up front. The 07 FZ6 rear rotor maybe incompatible and that's probably because they went to a new swingarm in 07.

Rotor compatibility matrix (don't call a lawyer on me if I got it wrong; use at you're own risk as I'm just taking a slightly informed guess here).

HTML:
Front/Rear in Yes/No Compatible

Yr/Mdl
      03R6,04R6,05R6,06R6S,07R6S,04FZ6,05FZ6,06FZ6,07FZ6
03R6   Y/Y, Y/Y, N/Y, Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , N/N 
04R6   Y/Y, Y/Y, N/Y, Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , N/N
05R6   N/Y, N/Y, Y/Y, N/Y , N/Y , N/Y , N/Y , N/Y , N/N
06R6S  Y/Y, Y/Y, N/Y, Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , N/N
07R6S  Y/Y, Y/Y, N/Y, Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , N/N
04FZ6  Y/Y, Y/Y, N/Y, Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , N/N
05FZ6  Y/Y, Y/Y, N/Y, Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , N/N
06FZ6  Y/Y, Y/Y, N/Y, Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , Y/Y , N/N
07FZ6  N/N, N/N, N/N, N/N , N/N , Y/N , N/N , N/N , Y/Y

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
Holy crap. You're the man! :bowdown So you're mainly focusing on just the raw part number and revision code but not the sub assembly or color codes? Or does the sub assembly code come into play as well? I don't know what the sub assembly number is representing, the other three seem fairly self explanatory.

So... think the sprocket from the 04 R6 will interchange with the 05 FZ6's?

:D

Thanks for proving very helpful info!

·
R6S Crash Cushion
1,392 Posts
biker6 said:
Holy crap. You're the man! :bowdown So you're mainly focusing on just the raw part number and revision code but not the sub assembly or color codes? *SNIP*

So... think the sprocket from the 04 R6 will interchange with the 05 FZ6's?
If the sub-assembly code is vastly different from the others (as in the the case of the 07 FZ6 front rotor), I'd say that the part is pretty different. With known color code differences, you can assume the part will function the same. But with revision code differences, there's probably a slight functional and/or spacing/sizing difference and there are probably incompatibilities there. The front rotors on the 05 R6 are designed to be braked by "hub-mounted" brakes on an inverted forks while all the other rotors are braked by brakes mounted to traditional telescopic forks and their hubs. So while rotors seem to be the same as the other R6/R6S's, their spacing is probably slightly different.

lol...look up the part numbers if you're gonna start asking about sprockets. ;) But I'd say no. Different part numbers.

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
oso2k said:
lol...look up the part numbers if you're gonna start asking about sprockets. ;) But I'd say no. Different part numbers.
:eek:nfloor

Yeah, that's fair. :eatpop

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'd add some points to your rep but I don't see the little picture to do that for you in the thread. :confused:

·
Bennedetto!
508 Posts
I've got:

2004 FZ6:
5VX-25446-00-00

2004 R6:
5SL-25448-20-00

I think you're right... that looks like a big no.

·
R6S Crash Cushion
1,392 Posts
biker6 said:
:eek:nfloor

Yeah, that's fair. :eatpop

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'd add some points to your rep but I don't see the little picture to do that for you in the thread. :confused:
lol...I didn't help you out for points. ;) If anything, you helped me because I probably would have asked a similar question sooner or later with my project FZ6 bike. :D

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm currently running a set of R6 rims as my track set. As pointed out above, the rims are the same for the 03-04 R6, and maybe for other years.

The brake rotors changed when the R6 went to the upside-down forks and radial calipers. I believe they got slightly thinner. It's really easy to tell which discs you are bidding on, since the carrier visibly changed. The FZ6/R6 rotor has 7 "nodes" on the carrier, and the newer R6 rotor has 10 "nodes".

And I believe that you need an FZ6 specific rear brake rotor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys, i have a question about the FZ6R also,.. can anyone tell me if the R6 axle bolt will fit in the FZ6R, my 2017 fz6r uses a 22mm, i really want the one with the hole in the middle, let me know if anyone knows, thanks guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts