Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will an GSXR 1000 engine fit in a 600 frame?

Someone told my friend that a 05 GSXR 1000 engine will “bolt right up” in the 05 GSXR 600 frame. I find this hard to believe. Could someone verify this and if not what would be required for the swap cause he has an opportunity to buy a 1000 05 engine and he thought it would cool to put it in his 05 GSXR 600.

Thx in advanced.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Sorry, I don't know, but a Suzuki shop probably would.

Let me guess. Was it the person with the engine for sale that told him it's a bolt-in? :rolleyes

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
The GSXR600 chassis is tuned for the size, weight, power of the 600cc engine. You put a 1000cc engine in it and you do not get a bike with the handling of a 600 and the power of a 1000. If you could make a better GSXR1000 by doing that, don't you think Suzuki would have already done it?

·
Registered
346 Posts
... especially since the 05 gixxer is already the size of a 600 :)

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Jeckyll said:
... especially since the 05 gixxer is already the size of a 600 :)
The '05 1k is actually a bit shorter than the 600 I believe.

Kind of like dropping a Hemi in an SLK. :)

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Yes you can! I know of someone who has done it. It cost him more than he wanted, but it was finished. I would still say that you should just go with a 1000 from the start.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Jaxx said:
Yes you can! I know of someone who has done it. It cost him more than he wanted, but it was finished. I would still say that you should just go with a 1000 from the start.
Exactly! I doubt there's 5 lbs difference anyway so I don't know why anyone would even want to do something so ridiculous other than just to prove they are stupid.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Bikerdude said:
Exactly! I doubt there's 5 lbs difference anyway so I don't know why anyone would even want to do something so ridiculous other than just to prove they are stupid.
Amen! Frankenbikes are a bad idea...always. If they could be built better, the manufacturer would have thought of it. That's why the big four spend billions on R&D.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
MaxDriver said:
Forget sleeper, insurance of 600 with power of 1000.

Bingo

freeky929 said:
Amen! Frankenbikes are a bad idea...always
My frankenbike could beat your purdy bike in a staring contest. Yours would kick its stand up and fall on its side into submission from the look of my beast. You do not want to unleash the fury.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Old GSXRs could have a katana 1100 motor bolted in, but thats the extent to my zuk motor swapping knowlege.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
freeky929 said:
Amen! Frankenbikes are a bad idea...always. If they could be built better, the manufacturer would have thought of it. That's why the big four spend billions on R&D.
http://www.google.com/search?q=frankenviffer

The Frankenviffer has become fairly fameous, featured in at least one magazine. VERY cool bike. Definitely not a bad idea.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Yeah, the old 7/11. I had a friend who did that...then a car wrecked the bike like a week later. That was a pretty bike. And he barely made it out himself.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
im sure the insurance company would still get you kind of like in a car you have to tell them about things that have been modified to be covered

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why not just buy a Gixxer 1000 and put 600 stickers on it? They all look the same anyway so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference :lao

I have a Frankenbike. A '00 ZX-7R with ZX-9 motor. It's great! And I only pay insurance on the 750 because they only ask for the VIN. Not that this saves me much $ and was not the reason I did it. It was a fun project to work on and the bike is definately better after doing it. A streetable ZX-7R with 132rwhp = :headbang

·
Registered
1 Posts
my boy richie at r&r put the 1000 motor w/ ported heads and cams in a 600 frame just to ride around and fuck with people but he also runs his own bike shop.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Most swaps will most likely not give you what you want. You'll over power the chassis,brakes etc. But if you know what your doing and can work out the problems some swaps will work quite well.

Some of the most popular were the FZR 600 engine into a FZR 400 chassis. Thoses worked very well for road racers.

Also If done right I've seen pics of Suzukis RGV500 Gamma engines put into more modern RGV? 250 road racing chassis. These actually make them handle BETTER than the stock chassis,that's why it's such a good swap for them.

Also Aprilia RS125/250 chassis with a RZ/Banshee engines has been done as well. The big advantage of this swap is the big-bore kits available for the RZ/Banshee engines makes it possible to obtain RELIABLE horsepower levels that the stock RS engine can't match. Plus the Yamaha parts maybe less expensive and easier to get.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts