Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not really familiar with race compound tires but this guy will give me a front and rear for $30 and $40 and they have barely been used, I have Dunlop 208's on her now 120 on the front and 180 on the rear, my tires I have on now are SPENT. This guy says they are 207 race compounds will they fit on my bike?

·
Registered
765 Posts
We cant offer advice until you complete the information. :lol What sizes are they? btw - if you are going to ride on the street, DO NOT BUY RACE TIRES, especially considering we are in rainy season at the moment. Trying to ride race slicks on the street...you will end up on your butt so fast it is not funny. Keep the street comp tires on it and use 'stickies' for the track (if you attend track days).

Are you having problems with traction, or do you just see this as an opportunity to purchase a set of tires cheap? If it is the latter - there is a reason they are cheap...the tires are pointed (inverted V) and are only good for using at the drag strip.

RIDE SAFE! Remember, you have to be well for our meet & greet at Biketoberfest! :)

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm just looking for a set of cheap tires at the moment, I won't be doing much riding anymore since I won't be riding to school almost everyday, and I need to get my carbs sunk on my bike b/c its running like poo and thats a b***** priority than new tires... Anyone had their carbs sunk on their bike and about how much did it cost??

·
Registered
765 Posts
SicFLgirlR6 said:
Yeah I'm just looking for a set of cheap tires at the moment, I won't be doing much riding anymore since I won't be riding to school almost everyday, and I need to get my carbs sunk on my bike b/c its running like poo and thats a b***** priority than new tires... Anyone had their carbs sunk on their bike and about how much did it cost??
:lol :lol She said "sunk".

Its 'sync'ed' Corky! :D According to past posts, shops charge a couple hundred. If ya wanna come put out my fire I have the tools/equipment to take care of it for ya! Yeah, we can adjust the carbs too! :D :)

The tires look alright in the pics, but make sure they are not 'blued'. That is a sign the tires have exceeded their heat cycles. Yeah, the tires are 'race compound', but if you get them...please be careful.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok yeah I'm a retard :D and I want a fuel injected bike :cry!!! My bikes running like poo and needs its carbs "synced", of course it has over 25k miles on it, 18k of them were put on it in the past year by me... How often do caborated(sp?) bikes need to be tinkered with?

·
Registered
765 Posts
SicFLgirlR6 said:
Ok yeah I'm a retard :D and I want a fuel injected bike :cry!!! My bikes running like poo and needs its carbs "synced", of course it has over 25k miles on it, 18k of them were put on it in the past year by me... How often do caborated(sp?) bikes need to be tinkered with?
Dont forget - FI bikes get throttle body syncs. :lol You are at a loss either way I am afraid. ;) The TB sync is a bit more spaced than your carb sync. Check your Yamy maint. schedule on the carb sync...I forget. I have almost 25k on mine and it is getting about time for the FIRST TB sync. My fuel line quick-disconnects just arrived last week, so I can now perform the task with the tank off the bike and have lots of room for adjusting.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well hopefully getting them "synced" won't be too much of a hassell to my schedule, you know approx. how long it takes someone to sync them? Also I'm just guessing that they need to be synced my rpms flutter really low and sometimes they get so low the bike just shuts off...

·
Registered
54 Posts
That tread patter doesnt look right. I could be wrong but Im pretty sure those arent 207's. :dunno

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Don't buy race tires for the street, they will never get up to temperature and will grip less than street tires. "Sync'ed" is short for synchronized, if that helps your confusion any.

·
Registered
765 Posts
SicFLgirlR6 said:
Well hopefully getting them "synced" won't be too much of a hassell to my schedule, you know approx. how long it takes someone to sync them? Also I'm just guessing that they need to be synced my rpms flutter really low and sometimes they get so low the bike just shuts off...
If they have never been synced, then yes...they need to be. Also, check your plugs, if you have not already. It is not going to be too much longer before your valves need to be checked also (fyi). Psst...you should change your fuel filter soon as well. *lol* Its just that time when the bike needs to be gone through (call it quarterly maint. - 25k). You can check the fuel flow rate if you want to try and skimp on the fuel filter, but I would go ahead and change it.

The shops generally want you to drop the bike off in the morning and pick it up that afternoon (for a sync). Actual time will depend on the knowledge of the mechanic and their familiarity with the procedure. Avg time - 2 hours from start to finish.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That rear tire is the OLD Pilot Race and teh front looks like an OEM Bridgestone. They are definitely NOT Dunlops.

EDIT: The rear is the OLD Pilot Race tire, the front is the OEM BT011 that came on the GSXR1000's.

I'd be very hesitant to buy those from somebody who thinks they are D207 race tires. :confused:

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks you guys:)!!! Like I said I'm not familiar w/ race compound tires... I noticed the treads didn't match up between the front and the rear. If you would like to send him a nice little email his email addy is: [email protected] :D, thanks again you guys for the heads up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
SicFLgirlR6 said:
Thanks you guys:)!!! Like I said I'm not familiar w/ race compound tires... I noticed the treads didn't match up between the front and the rear. If you would like to send him a nice little email his email addy is: [email protected] :D, thanks again you guys for the heads up.
That front BT011 is a very good street tire and seems to be almost brand new.

The rear looks good for another trackday, maybe 2, but I prefer not to run race tires on the street. I use my old race tires on the street but I am very cautious doing so. They SUCK in the wintertime too. :mad:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts