Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a simple little mod you can do to make your brakelights wig wag like I did. Or just about any lights. As long as you have dual bulbs for brake lights you can do it. Just buy a NAPA flasher unit #537 $4 here. Then connect the brake light lead to the X terminal. Then each light to the other two terminals.
This won't work if you have LED's, they don't draw enough power and it won't flash.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
And the only wig wag when you hit the brakes right? Might be kind of kewl to have these....might get someone's attention driving behind you and be a little safer for the rider. And it's a helluvalot cheaper than buying a tail light intergrater.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep they only wig wag when you hit the brakes. If that is what you wired it to. That is what I did and it works pretty slick.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
segue00 said:
:needpics

[edit] or at least a link! thanks :)

:lol knew that was coming :lol

I will try and pick up a flasher tomorrow if I get it right I will take some pics, Gixx if you don't have a camera I will post mine for you. I am installing a carbon Yosh system on my Kat tomorrow so I will add the flasher while I am at it and take some pics.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's kind of hard to catch the flashing lights with pics, but if you insist I can try. Basically each of the individual brake light bulbs flash in an alternating sequence about once a second or maybe half a second. Just like your blinkers.
I bought my flasher at the local Napa Auto Parts. I couldn't find the part on the webpage but I will post the link anyway. It has a store locator and stuff, and you could probably email them to order a #537 Flasher.

http://napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/homepage.d2w/report

The flasher is an electronic 3 prong. also available elsewhere for $20-$30. It is black plastic 1" square and 1 1/2" tall with 3 male blade wire terminals coming out. You just find your 2 Positive wires that go to each brake light, cut them. On my GSXR it is a white wire with a black tracer. Put a standard insulated female wire terminal on each bulb wire end and connect to the two terminals labeled L on the flasher. Then put a wire terminal on one of the other signal leads you cut coming from the bike to the light. Put that on the X terminal on the flasher. Wrap the 4th wire end in electrical tape and put a small wire tie on it to prevent shorts. Also wrap some electrical tape around the terminals on the flasher so it can't short out either unless you used the insulated wire terminals. Then you should be okay. I also wire tied the whole flasher to the brake light wiring so that it can't bounce around. That's it, took me like 5 min.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts