Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She currently has an '01 EX250 and we are simply fed up with it. One day it will run fine, the next day it won't. I've been through the carbs myself multiple times. Last summer the bike ran great after being jetted and getting a pipe installed. Now it won't run worth a crap and niether me or the dealer can find anything wrong with it.

She is now interested in getting an EX500 or GS500F. Her problem isn't that she can't handle a b***** bike, as she has ridden my Triumph ('98 Daytona) on occasion, but she doesn't want to purchase a bike for herself that she can't stand flat-footed. She's only 5'2" and on a bike like my Daytona, she is on her tippy-toes and it makes certain manuvers (parking, backing up, etc.) difficult and potentially dangerous.

What are your thoughts on getting an older 600SS (F2, F3, FZR, etc.) and lowering it? I've been told by some people that lowering a bike is fine, others say that it makes them handle very poorly and is dangerous.

BTW, although I like them, she can't stand "standards" or naked sportbikes.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Anytime you adjust the supension of a motorcycle it will affect the handling. I would try by shaving the seat first before lowering it. Thats all you may need to do. I've never lowered a bike but definitly take it to a reputable place to do it.

The older F series bike would be good. But may be better off with the 500

·
Registered
926 Posts
how long as she been totin' that 250? she may be ready for a sv650s (or basic sv, which ever she prefers.) 99-02 are my personal favorite (have ridden both.) my dad and i both had the S model and we never had a problem with anything. they are also very fun bikes :leghump

when it comes to lowering, just get some lowering dog bones for the rear and just drop the tripple down, that doesnt involve messing with suspension, it just literally drops the bike down. when i first bought my gixxer, the guy before me had it lowered that way. it didnt handle much different at all and was very stable. it just pissed me off because i would drag the pegs a lot, but i was also moving pretty well. but im not a fan of lowered bikes.

good luck

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
how about a honda hawk, or an fzr400

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The Suzy SV-650, rather then the SV-650S, seems to be to the liking of many that are a bit short in leg length. Now with its V-twin & lower decent pulling power it often takes the place of the 500cc vertical twins of Kwacker & Suzy.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm a relatively short guy (5'5) and just bought the EX500, no problems flat footing it....I sat on the GS500F as well when I was shopping the market, and found my heels didn't touch the floor exactly, so I'd recommend the EX500....If she was satisfied with the performance of the 250 when it was running well, then she should be just fine with the EX500, it'll save you the cost of lowering a bike.....and won't introduce the suspension issues u mentioned....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, her EX250 is really softly sprung. BTW, she's been riding it since we bought it in '01, so she has some experience on it and on my bike both. Before she started riding, she took the MSF course which is how I started before I bought my Daytona. Only difference is, I can go out any day of the week and my Daytona runs the same way it did the day before and I think thats why we find her 250 so annoying is that you never know day to day whether its going to run correctly or not.

I have tried to push her toward an SV650 before, but she doesn't like the styling. Remember, she is a woman and aesthetics seem to play a b***** role than most of us guys that would just be happy to have our own bike. Is there any lower fairings for the SV650S like they make for the new SV1000S? The SV1000S looks so complete with that lower fairing that they started offering, but I've never seen anything like it for its little brother?

·
Registered
926 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
If she likes the EX250, then I saw try to pick up the ex500. It should be an extremely easy jump for her.

The older CBR600 sit a little high for a 600.

How about a Kawasaki ZX600 D or E or (ZZR) depending on what year you're looking at. They sit really low and look nice. Even if they aren't too agile.

·
Registered
157 Posts
go for the EX500, i'm 5'4" and I can flat foot it nooooo problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was going to suggest a ZZR600 (ZX6E), relatively low seat height and quite user friendly, but someone else already has.

Only drawback in my view is the lack of aftermarket stuff for them, I reckon mine is great, it offers a good mix between sport riding and touring etc. And 100 crank hp is gonna be enough for her for a while.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tiamat said:
a gsx-r400 or fzr400 would be a perfect fit, if you could find one.
I know the FZR was sold here for a while, but what kind of prices are on the grey-market stuff like the little gixxer? And what happens if it breaks? Are replacement parts outrageous?

I forgot about the ZZR600/ZX-6E bikes. I think she might like that idea. What years were they produced? Not really worried about aftermarket parts as long as I can get her a nice pipe and maybe a jet kit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The ZX6E model was produced from 1993 up until 2003 where it was replaced with the ZZR600. Dont let the name change fool you - the only difference is the stickers and colour scheme. However in Aust. they have always been called ZZR600.

You can get systems for them and jet kits, however in relation to trick aftermarket body parts you wont get much.

I am stoked with mine at the moment coz I have just discovered there are 2 factory fitted accessory sockets wired under the seat! :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
dmk said:
how about a monster 620.
don't they have a low seat? I don't know myself, just giving you ideas.

ooooooooo, that's my second choice.... i think the ride height is about 30-31 on that... correct me if i'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts