Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been having a strange problem lately with my bike. First of all it's a 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6R and has about 5,500 miles on the clock. It's only been down once, at about 5mph(going to get the mail, jackass almost ran me over blowing through a stop sign) and the bike had frame slider's on so it had very little damage. Anyway, the problem is when taking a left hand turn and shifting from first to second under moderate to aggressive throttle(it doesn't seem to do it if I'm putting around), the bike always misses second. Well, it either misses second or goes in for a split second and jumps right back out, causing an obviously embarassing over-rev. This only happens when I'm either leaning left or just after I've taken a left turn(like if I held it in forst through the turn, then after straightening back up I shift into second and it misses or pops out). I'm at a loss to figure out why this is happening, I never miss shifts any other time. I thought maybe I wasn't pushing the lever up hard enough, but I did tests and no matter how hard I push up, it will pop right back out or not go in at all.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I don't think it's related to the fall, as that was over a month ago and this only started happening the last 2 weeks or so. It's getting really annoying, and I want to make sure nothing is wrong with the bike. Other than that the bike runs perfectly flawless, I love this thing to death. But it's a real kill-joy when coming out of a nice tight left-hander and getting on the throttle onhly to hit a missed shift and lose all my steam.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
That is a strange one. Assuming it is related to left turns, I'd check out the clutch cable operation with the wheel turned full left, straight, and full right to see if perhaps something is binding when turned to the left. :confused:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check that tomorrow, but I don't notice any difference in the clutch lever feel at all. Worth checking though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^

Anyone have any idea's?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Assuming the bike fell on its left side, I wonder if the shift shaft got slightly bent? Now for the long shot. Is there perhaps a difference in your foot position while/just after making a left turn? If so, it could be pressure from your foot that's pushing the shifter over a bit and trying to move the shaft in a direction it doesn't want to go. I said it was a long shot, but the possible bent shaft situation may be getting worse over time as all the parts aren't properly aligned. :confused:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll look at the shaft and see if it got bent, it's a possibility. It may be a combination of that and where my foot is positioned in a left turn. I'll check it out and see if I find anything. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts