Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody thanks for taking the time to check out my post, anyways im currently working on my buddy's 1988 katana 600, he is trying to find out what is the widest rear tire that will fit with out haveing to mod anything. the bike calls for 140-80-17 i think. i did the whole measuring the swing arm clearence, width of the tire, and basic math to get some measurements. i think a 150-60-17 or a 150-70-17 will sneak in there with enough clearance on both sides, but i wanted to get some intel from anyone who may have already found the widest tire that would fit? thanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that would be great, but does the newer katanas have the same clearance, i only ask because my buddy's katana is an oldie but i know there the same from 88-96 are main concern is not wasting money on a tire to fat to fit. i will have to drag him down to the local shop and measure the tire and opening in the swing arm just to be safe, thanks alot a 160 would really bring it out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
88 is only a 3 inch rim so you should go no b***** than a 150/70/17. I believe its a straight swap to the 89-97 wheel so it would be 3.5" and allow for a 150/70 or a 160/60 rear tire :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good point, i was thinking about a 150 but i can get a 150-60-17 on there? it would be a inch or so lower and same width. like i said its my buddy's bike im working on and he has seen all those magazines with 300 kits and all these nice bikes that have nice fat rear meat. i told him its not going to happen. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
As far as I know, '97 and older katanas have a 3.5" rear rim, they use the same as the GS500 with the 3 twisted arms design, katanas from '98 have the 4.5" wide rims. The first accepts up to 140/80-17 with no problems, and despite it accepts the 150/70 many GS-riders say the tire got pinched so it makes imposible to reach the tires edge. Anyway, most people have wide chicken strips on their tires, like me. Swaping a newer rim should be as easy as it is for a GS500 to accept newer Katanas rims. Newer rims allow 150/60, 150/70 and 160/60 tires perfectly but with the wider could be some chain or brake control arm clearance issues, no so bad, but may need some work, like bending the control arm or shimming the hub. The wheels swap is fully described in GStwin.com forum. I don't know if very old katanas are the same as 97's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts