Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wide right turns

I have a problem making sharp right turns. Hopefully this will be corrected with time/practice, but when I make a right turn, especially from a stop, I turn wide, going to the left side of the left lane, almost into oncoming traffic. I don't fixate on the left lane, I look at where I want to go, but I still end up going wide. Does anybody else have, or have had this problem. And does anyone have any tips to help combat this.

Thanks in advance guys for any input.

· WTF guy
876 Posts
Practice practice practice. I had trouble with wide left turns, I truly believe it has something to do with your dominate eye* as well as your dominate hand. I am right eye dominate as well as right handed, so I think thats why I take it way easer on left turns than right turns.

*to see which eye is dominate for you the easy test is to look at something far away extend your arm out in front of your face an point right at it, then close one eye and then the other to see which eye still has your finger right in the center.

· Registered
318 Posts
I noticed myself making inconsistant turns as well at first. You just have to get comfortable leaning the bike both ways and making sure your body position is consistant in both directions. Pay attention to where you body is on the bike and I bet you'll notice a difference from left to right... and PRACTICE! :D

· Registered
11,351 Posts
This might sound rediculous to you, as you might be already looking far through the turn. But look farther through the turn. damnit!:lol

If you find yourself going into oncoming traffic you are going faster than you can equally lean it. Look farther through the turn then try going in faster after making it a habit.

· Ooh lawd!
8,466 Posts
peldor said:
*to see which eye is dominate for you the easy test is to look at something far away extend your arm out in front of your face an point right at it, then close one eye and then the other to see which eye still has your finger right in the center.
What if both are equadistant from the center? But my right eye is worse (prescription wise) than my left... but I'm right handed.

I'm a genetic freak, I know.

· Fear-Less, Live More
1,033 Posts
I had the same problem. I have improved a great deal with parking lot practice, a lot of practice.

I believe the issue with right turns is throttle control. Due to the position of the handles on most sports bikes your right wrist ends up in an uncomfortable/awkward position in tight right turns. This makes it more difficult to control the throttle than in a left turn. Pay attention when your practice in a parking lot and you may notice it that you unintentionally go wide in right turns because you’re not confident with the position of your wrist in right turns.

· at the track
3,110 Posts
Also for us living in North America, we do not get as much practice at right handers as people living with a left-handed traffic pattern such as in Britain or Japan.

Most right hand turns for us tend to be sharper as we drive on that side of the road, so most of the time when you turn that way, the curb is on that side.

Make sure you learn how to countersteer, it really helps. Plus try feathering the clutch and give yourself a little gas to establish some momentum.

· WTF guy
876 Posts
bzbatl said:
What if both are equadistant from the center? But my right eye is worse (prescription wise) than my left... but I'm right handed.

I'm a genetic freak, I know.
Just try pointing at something about 100 yards away... most people are shocked when they find this out. I found out from target shooting, when my averages started to go down they started asking me all kinds of questions, this was one of them.
btw my averages went back up when I got contacts :bitchslap

· Lost in the pickle matrix
1,540 Posts
Had the same problem and with me it was definately throttle control. I had a hard time staying on and leaning over enough to make the turn. My first right hander I ended up in a neighbors lawn.

· Registered
707 Posts
ithicaplasma said:
I had the same problem. I have improved a great deal with parking lot practice, a lot of practice.

I believe the issue with right turns is throttle control. Due to the position of the handles on most sports bikes your right wrist ends up in an uncomfortable/awkward position in tight right turns. This makes it more difficult to control the throttle than in a left turn. Pay attention when your practice in a parking lot and you may notice it that you unintentionally go wide in right turns because you’re not confident with the position of your wrist in right turns.
+1

Definitely, Practice figure eights till you can go from stop to stop on your handle bars. It'll be akward at first but before you know it you'll be able to start from a full turn and go tight right from the start.

BTW It'll definitely help you at the local hooters so you can do a u-turn without dropping the bike/putting your foot down. That should impress all the eye-candy floating around.....j/k

· Kick-Ass Dude
102 Posts
peldor said:
awesome. mind blowing. Hats off, Sir.

· Kick-Ass Dude
102 Posts
5niner0 said:
Also for us living in North America, we do not get as much practice at right handers as people living with a left-handed traffic pattern such as in Britain or Japan.

Most right hand turns for us tend to be sharper as we drive on that side of the road, so most of the time when you turn that way, the curb is on that side.
I like to disagree with you on this. I come from a country that has left sided traffic pattern but i used to still have problem on right handers and was extremely comfortable with left handers. Why? because i feel i got a lot of wide right turn practice in my country that eventually screwed up my tighter right turns in US.

· Registered
910 Posts
a better way to determine dominate eye...

make a triangle between your thumbs and forefinger with both hands extended at arms length. Focus on something within the triangle, and move your hands toward your face, keeping that object in focus. your hands will naturally move to your dominant eye.

· Registered
1,444 Posts
Your dominate eye has NOTHING to do with takeing bends. I am loose my left eye, like it is basically a blur so my depth of preception is pretty well shot compared to 10 or 50 yrs ago ago.

While my speed in the twisties is not as good as in the past it is still probably faster then many others BECAUSE I am practicing all the time. So that is the answer & yes looking head is the other answer.

· Registered
138 Posts
Actually, all your turns are wide, you just notice it on the rights, I bet. Especially from a stop, a left turn has miles of room.

Get a book called "Total Control". Read it.

· Registered
843 Posts
I had this problem with turns from a stop on my first bike, i haven't really noticed it on my ninja. I attributed the problem on my first bike that I couldn't flat foot it, and using my left foot down at the stop (right covering the rear brake), the bike was always slightly leaned to the left, so it was hard to make the transition for the right turn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.