Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dads got a Ninja 500 right now. He got it because its half the price of the 600's, performance almost as good, and insurance is cheaper than 600-1000cc's.

I want a Yamaha R1. I think it looks sick, is well enginerred (sp), is very quick, and is the most comfortable of the 1000's. But really, looks and comfort steered me towards the R1 instead of a ZX-10R. The riding position on those is brutal.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but the performance (based on HP alone) of a Ninja 500 is less than half of a 600, and even worse when comparing to a liter bike.

Anyhow, got my SV b/c I loved the look, price was right, and it got nothing but the best of reviews from magazines, and owners alike. Also, the dealer gave me exactly what I wanted for my trade in (250 Honda Nightchicken) just so they could sell a SV. Don't think I could have made a better decision for what I was looking for.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I did a lot of research before I bought the F4i. I have ridden "crotch rockets" like 750-4's and Kawi triples and most of the precursers to the modern sportbikes. I sold my HD before I bought this sportbike. I started on the 600 because I would have gotten hurt on a liter bike. I know how I ride the Bee...

·
Registered
886 Posts
A ninja 500 doesn't have "almost" the performance of a 600. A 600 will blow a 500 away - even an old one.

You want an R1? How long have you been riding? If I had to guess I would say you haven't ridden before. Starting on an R1 almost guarantees failure.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but damn.

err... I guess I'm assuming too much. If an R1 is what you want to eventually get then more power to you.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I got mine because I always wanted a 95 YZF 600R I like the style of them and the numbers are pretty good. I looked at alot of them before I found one that was worth getting. I paid a little to much in most peoples eyes. But is the bike I always wanted so I got it. Could not be happyer.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
I bought mine for a number of reasons.
1. Different from the normal
2. Suspension is still one of the best
3. Heavy and stable, no need for a damper.
4. The mods are never ending (ZX9 engine in bay)
5. Everyone and their mother has a the same bike (gixxer, r6, cbr blah blah), and even the same color scheme.
6. Its a Kawasaki

·
Registered
150 Posts
I got my kawsaki 6r because of the engine

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Wanted a bike and a guy at work begged me to buy his. Price started at 3600 but I kept telling him if he still had it at tax time I might get it. The month was July so he had a long wait. He kept dropping the price to no avail. He came down to 2500 with all kinds of extras but still no go. Then he said I could take 10 months to pay him. Thats all I needed and the rest is history.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Unique, Unique, unique, I fell in love with mine when I first saw an Aprilia. Italian Design with rotax engine.... whats better?

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
It was inexpensive - $2000
Low miles - 9k
Relatively good condition - minor cosmetic damage
Low on insurance - $540/yr. full coverage
Color - I dig the Kawa Racing Green

Plus, in this day and age of fuel injection, not too many people are interested in carburated bikes. Which means less chance of pilferage. :beer

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
it's pretty.... :)
Honda's are more a forgiving rider friendly bike (as far as SS bikes go)
Great condition and good price.
Ins is not tooooo bad (600yr, full)
and it came with a Micron Pipe and a Corbin Seat!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Several years ago I have a Ninja 500.

Now I have a 2003 Honda 954RR and love it!

Initially I just wanted the F4 but then saw the 600RR but then the sales rep gave me a great deal on the 954RR - couldn't resist...

I put on her 25,000 miles on a single year and can't wait to put 25k more! Don't ask - I was just working 1 week of the month last year....consulting is a great thing!

:popcorn

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how is the reliability of that Aprillia? I know its Italian, so does it require the same kind of high maintance as the Ducati's?? I like those Aprillia's too.

to the couple people that said the 500 Ninja isnt even close to a 600, have you ever ridden one? Above 8k rpm, its very quick. I've logged 2500 miles on my dads. Waiting to get a bike of my own. Yes i know its half the HP of the 600's, but only down 10 or so ft/lbs of torque. It feels so much stronger than the numbers suggest. Dont always be fooled by the HP rating. 0-60 time is 4.5 compared to low 3's for the 600. As far as the R1 having too much power, it only has as much power as i give it just like any other bike.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yamaha developed this really cool engine manufacturing process called CF [aka. controlled fill ??] anyway, more or less it makes the engine smaller, but stronger at the same time... plus Yamaha styling has always been just a little cleaner than the others..... litre bike because of natural progression from 600's 750's, etc. and I feel like I've somewhat 'out-ridden' previous versions of sportbikes I've owned. I like the power of what I got now....

TRocket said:
Hey, btw - how did it work-out with the hottie from class???

·
Registered
321 Posts
I bought my vf500 because I wanted to start on something smaller than a 600 and I knew honda was a good name.

I am getting an 03 r6 within the next week because I want something b***** than my 500, I love the style, and the performance isn't bad either :)

I have ridden my 500, my buddy's gs500, and another friends ex500 and they are no where even near my uncle's stock 95 cbr 600. And that thing is pretty watered down compared to fuel injected 600's. I don't mean to be rude but what are you smokin? Thinking that a 500 is close to a 600 in performance? The only time its close is 1k-5k rpms.

·
Registered
81 Posts
falco said:
Unique, Unique, unique, I fell in love with mine when I first saw an Aprilia. Italian Design with rotax engine.... whats better?
MY R1 :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor :bitchslap :neener

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I wanted just about any 600 or 750, and toyed with the idea of a liter, but really knew it was too much at that point. The only 750 I would have really considered was a GSX-R, but I think suzuki makes the ugliest sport bikes (kind of like the ugliest girl at the miss america pageant), and there wasn't an abundant amount for sale when I was looking. So basically it came down to what bike I could get the best deal on for the amount of money I had to spend.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got mine because I liked the look and riding position more than the other cruisers I sat on. I didn't get a sportbike as my first bike because I didn't feel like it. Sportbike has always been what I'll get as my second bike. The vn800 has a near-indestructable engine and is a very forgiving cruiser for a beginner plus it has enough torque to put a grin on your face without so much power that it'll get away from you easily.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
The first five bikes were pretty much purchased without any research - I just bumped into them and grabbed on.

I bought my first bike, a Kawasaki KZ550F when I was 18. I mentioned to someone at work that I was thinking about a bike and he said, "Get a Kawasaki. The cops ride them and they are reliable." That weekend I went out to look at bikes, but it was Sunday. The local Suzuki dealer was open and I checked out their bikes. They had a used Kawasaki and I could afford it so I struck the deal. When I came back to pick it up, the sales manager was pissed - turns out I made the deal with the owner and he didn't know what it was really worth. (at least that's what they told me...)

I got my second bike, a Suzuki GS850G, because I had bought a "Classic AMC Javelin to fix up and it turned out to be more of a fixxer-upper than it was worth. A neighbor kid had bought a full dress Suzuki 850G to go riding with his dad, who had a Gold Wing, and then took a spill. Since he was scared of it, and since he needed a car, he took my problem and I took his. I think we both got a good deal - he fixed the car up pretty nice, and I took all the full dress BS off and turned the GS into a classic superbike by slapping on a 4 into 1 and a flat tracker bar.

The next two bikes I bought were both enduros. A KE100 Kawasaki and later a DR125 Yamaha (1969 - that was a cool little bike) People I knew had them and didn't use them so I picked them up used them for a while and then sold them for better than I bought them. It's fun to bomb around on little bikes like that...

My next bike, a CBR250R I found when came to Japan the first time. I checked the local foreigner's classified paper and found this bike for sale in the back. It checked out so I bought it - I wanted wheels in a hurry so I wasn't really very particular but it turned out to be a great deal - man I loved that bike. I still think about buying another just for kicks.

The only bike I really researched and took a long time to buy was my current one. I always wanted a classic GSXR and I thought the 91s were the best looking of the lot. I researched them for a while and found one I wanted. I'm pretty happy with it.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts