Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So everyone says to get a 500cc bike, i was offered an 05 CBR 600 F4i for 4,000 exelent condition, and that price range is just what i am looking for.

What im wondering, is do you REALLY have to get a 500cc to get used to a bike. If you ride a 600 a while before going ape shit on the throttle, that still wouldnt do? I just want to know what the difference is and if there is anything besides the throttle that you will be limited to?

Also, What is the difference between the 600RR and the 600F4i?

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Eagle25fw said:
So everyone says to get a 500cc bike, i was offered an 05 CBR 600 F4i for 4,000 exelent condition, and that price range is just what i am looking for.

What im wondering, is do you REALLY have to get a 500cc to get used to a bike. If you ride a 600 a while before going ape shit on the throttle, that still wouldnt do? I just want to know what the difference is and if there is anything besides the throttle that you will be limited to?

The difference in CCs is alot at 100, and if im not mistaken, the 600cc sport bikes like cbrs,gsxrs,blah blah have inline 4 engines, which is some of the newest race technology. Ill put it like this i have an 800 cc bike, its fast but it is a little ways away from a 600 cc inline 4. Mine is a V-twin and it is alot more forgiving.

·
Registered
321 Posts
omg, we need a n00b n00b sticky for people that can't read..... WITH PICTURES!!!!!!!

f4i and rr difference is mostly cosmetic from what you will be able to tell. RR has undertail exhaust, harder seat, and a few more things from what i can tell.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Oh right and that bike you're being offered? I smell scam, unless you know the buyer, and if it's a 2005, I doubt it's in excellent condition for that price. Is it somewhere in europe by chance?

·
Registered
809 Posts
XxIcEmAnxX said:
The difference in CCs is alot at 100, and if im not mistaken, the 600cc sport bikes like cbrs,gsxrs,blah blah have inline 4 engines, which is some of the newest race technology. Ill put it like this i have an 800 cc bike, its fast but it is a little ways away from a 600 cc inline 4. Mine is a V-twin and it is alot more forgiving.

Honda interceptors are v-4's...

the v-4 interceptor engine is more forgiving than the engine in a new CBR, it's more due to the tuning, and not the cylinder configuration.

and v-twins are NOT forgiving. tons of torque at low revs... stronger engine braking. NOT FORGIVING.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I work the guy that's selling it to me. He is really nice. He has had a few bikes in the past, hes looking to buy a b***** (engine) bike. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I used to own an ex500 and one day rode my friend's cbr600f2

There was a tremendous difference in power! It scared me

The 500 was perfect for me to learn on...very forgiving with enough power for a new rider.

·
Registered
288 Posts
nig said:
$4k for an '05? Is it stolen?

Yah +1 to that, either its stolen or wrecked, I just bought one at double the price you just mentioned. And I just moved up from a 500.....tremendous difference, on the order of 45 hp difference. Get the 500 for now

·
Registered
820 Posts
nig said:
$4k for an '05? Is it stolen?

As soon as I read his post, I forgot all about the starting on a 600 question and 2 questions of my own popped into my head.

Whats wrong with it? If nothing, where was it stolen from?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Eagle25fw said:
I work the guy that's selling it to me. He is really nice. He has had a few bikes in the past, hes looking to buy a b***** (engine) bike.
Did he explain why he's giving it away? $4k for an '05? Makes no sense unless there's something wrong with it, it's stolen, he's rolling in money and doesn't care, or he really, really likes you for some reason.

That said, stay away from 600s for your first bike. The 500s are plenty fast, plenty fun, and you won't mind so much when you drop it, vs. dropping a nice new F4i.

·
Registered
163 Posts
As far as power, that 500 will have what 50ish hp while that little 100cc jump includes tons of technological improvements and bumps you to the 100ish range. So while it seems like they would be similar the 600 has about twice as much power as the 500. When you are in the powerband that is a huge difference.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It all depends how you can control the throttle. If you are calm headed and no the dangers of it, it can be done. I started with a Honda 600 F2. However, If you don't know that you can control your self even in bad situations...then I would go for the 500. The first thing people tend to do when they suddenly get startled is twist their wrist and its all over from there. If you do decide to get a 600 for your first bike stay away from the race versions of all the bikes. They can get you into trouble much faster then their street counter parts.

I would be leary to spend 4K on a starter bike though. I spent 2K for my 93 CBR. Figured if I drop it I am not out much. I turned around and sold it and got all my money back out of it and put that towards my new bike.

As others have said check out the beginner forrums. This topic is discussed a lot and a lot of detail is put into it in this section. Also expect to get flamed for a little while if you decide to go the 600 route. I also recomend the MSF class to every one starting out.

Be safe and Happy riding.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts