Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound like a stupid question, but it's an honest one. The only comfortable, practical road bikes (that I know of) are naked bikes. But what I don't understand is how this has anything to do with comfort. I understand a more upright seating position might negate some of the benefits of a windshield-- but certainly it can't be worse than no windshield at all. Further, how do side fairings have anything to do with rider position?

I'm looking to get a bike like an fz-09 or Street Triple. They're basically perfect for my needs--an increase in top-end while still being practical low end and comfortable to ride. Yet they're just so hideous! I know that sounds shallow, but I could never ride around on Yamaha's new atrocity; and the Stripple--while it has a decent body--has those horrible bug-eyed headlights.

Yeah yeah, I know, some people think these bikes look great. But I'm just not one of them. Is there some alternative bike that combines fairings with similar comfort/practicality? Or is there some fairing body kit for the Stripple that will turn it into a Daytona 675 or something?

Again, I get that this sounds shallow, but... Imagine someone tried to sell you a Nissan Cube. It doesn't matter how cheap, practical, or fuel efficient it is. It's a fucking CUBE; do you really want to drive around in that? No.

Well, naked bikes are my Cube.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Its just one of those things. Why do bacon cheeseburgers and banana splits taste so good and healthy food tastes like shit.:shrug

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I don't think full blown sportbikes are uncomfortable... that's just me though. I'm sure as I continue to age they will become less and less comfortable. However I do think that naked bikes are ugly as sin (hmmm, I should rethink that figure of speech). Singram's analogy is pretty solid... another good one would be the pros and cons of sex without a condom.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
never understood sex with condoms. if she ain't on birth control, then why are you bothering?

Guys always say "well maybe you're not dating her, maybe you just hooked up"
well, if she's randomly out hookin up with dudes, she should DEFINITELY be da pill. If she ain't, she could be cruising for a baby-daddy. . .RUN.
If you are dating her, then the simple discussion should take place. unless there is some medical reason that she cannot take it, which is totally fine. but those cases are few and few between, so I hear.
I haven't yet met the woman who likes condoms either.

RE: original topic:
F4i, VFR. . .basically, any pre-600rr Honda sportbike was pretty damn comfortable.

OP: buy a Daytona, and put street triple rearsets on it, and a set of bar risers.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It really just sounds like you're confused and don't know what you want. Looks are subjective and many people love the look of naked bikes.

You love the look of sportbikes but you don't really want one. Sorry to say but you're not going to find a compromise. Sportbikes look the way they do and have the ergos they have for a reason.

You could always get a sportbike and add riser bars if you need that "racer" look.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
never understood sex with condoms. if she ain't on birth control, then why are you bothering?

Guys always say "well maybe you're not dating her, maybe you just hooked up"
well, if she's randomly out hookin up with dudes, she should DEFINITELY be da pill. If she ain't, she could be cruising for a baby-daddy. . .RUN.
If you are dating her, then the simple discussion should take place. unless there is some medical reason that she cannot take it, which is totally fine. but those cases are few and few between, so I hear.
I haven't yet met the woman who likes condoms either.

RE: original topic:
F4i, VFR. . .basically, any pre-600rr Honda sportbike was pretty damn comfortable.

OP: buy a Daytona, and put street triple rearsets on it, and a set of bar risers.
You're forgetting about that pesky little detail called HPVs. Its all fun and games till your little predator shrivels up and falls off.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
You can put Daytona 675 fairings on a Street Triple. You won't be able to keep the stock handlebars though as they will contact the fairing.

Alternatively, you can get bar risers for a daytona and put street triple rearsets on it to straighten up the riding angle. I believe a 1.25" raise is the maximum you can do without doing anything to the fairing. 1.5" can be had by putting spacers on the upper fairing, and above that you will need to cut some notches in the fairing.

For just a little bit of rise on any sportbike, you can flip the clipons. Basically the left clipon goes on the right fork, and the right clipon goes on the left fork. You flip them upsidown from their normal orientation as well.

Plus, you can get custom seats done. I personally have no problems on a stock (mine is more aggressive than stock, even) setup for 12+ hours at a time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I rode all faired sportbikes before my FZ-09, and while the bike isn't the prettiest to start, it's cheap and effective base makes for a great bike to make your OWN. Try it sometime, you may like having a bike that truly stands out.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
So you want to be seen on a sportibke, but you don't want a sportbike :bangdesk

I daily ride a Versys, which has to be the next ugliest bike after the original Multistrada. Do I care it is ugly? Nope. I don't give a damn, I can't see it when I'm riding it. What I can feel when I'm riding it is good low end torque, comfortable ergos and reasonable wind protection which is also part of what makes it so ugly.

Long days on uncomfortable bikes are miserable, not fun at all. Long days on the Versys are comfortable and tons of fun.

Guess which bike I rather ride?

But well, I did take my CBR for quick runs to the local starbucks. It did look good parked in front.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you want to be seen on a sportibke, but you don't want a sportbike :bangdesk
No; I want to be on a fun bike that is comfortable that isn't ugly. Be honest: Would you buy a sports car if you didn't find it attractive? If you didn't enjoy walking out on a cold night and staring at it? Some people might be like that, but the majority of this forum would be lying if they said they "didn't care" what their bike looks like. Just like how we all care what our yard, car, house, clothing, face, girlfriend, phone, video games, movies, and dog looks like. We enjoy things that are aesthetically appealing--and we're proud of them. And yes, if I'm going to spend upwards of 12 grand on a motorcycle that may or may not kill me, it damn well better look good doing it.

I did some serious research into a couple of the bikes suggested, namely the VFR800 and the Ninja 1000. Both are exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm completely split on the two. The Ninja 1000 is a little bit b***** than I really had in mind, but it's cheaper than the VFR. Then again, the VFR is a V-4... probably more practical. Regardless, all I can do is find a dealership and try them out. I appreciate the feedback, ya'll.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
why are you looking into a brand new VFR?

the new one has the same frame and engine as one from a decade ago.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
why are you looking into a brand new VFR?

the new one has the same frame and engine as one from a decade ago.
From what I've read, it's significantly lighter, more powerful, with a much smoother VTEC. Plus the body is redesigned (not that I'm sure if I like it... still looks like a Duc knockoff to me.) I guess I never said I was set on the new model, though...?

·
Registered
729 Posts
So why aren't you looking at sport touring bikes? More comfortable seat, higher bars, full fairings, and quick besides. Many are beautiful bikes as well. Check out the Triumph Sprint.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
From what I've read, it's significantly lighter, more powerful, with a much smoother VTEC. Plus the body is redesigned (not that I'm sure if I like it... still looks like a Duc knockoff to me.) I guess I never said I was set on the new model, though...?
A comparo between the two

2014 Ninja 1000 vs 2014 VFR800 Deluxe, I'll start

First off, the new one is 20lb lighter than the 6th Gen (02-09) VFR. All VFR 750/800 have been around 95 - 100hp...the '14 is no exception. The smoother V-tech, I doubt, they lowered the threshold in '06 to 'help' but any asshole with a power commander III or V can have a smooth V-tech transition.

I have a Gen 6, I love my Gen 6 to death, but compared to the Ninja 1000 (especially the '14 Ninja 1000) it's a damn hard sell for the Honda. I own the VFR because I'll never have the money for a Ninja 1000. That said, while that forum link is pretty well spot on they have glazed over a few things. Valve checks. 16k? Pfft. No VFR owner has been out of spec at 16k. None that I've seen have been out of spec at 32k and many have gone on to 100,000 miles and never been out of spec. ...but when they are, bend over. $$$

They also don't mention how mind numblingly awesome a V4 with a pipe sounds on it. Of course, that's opinion, and you shouldn't buy a bike just for the exhaust note, but still. It sounds just that good, imo.

These do-it-all sport bikes just don't sell so well these days... People want their nakeds, ADV bikes, cruisers or race reps. :shrug

Of course, neither of these bikes is as light as a 'clothed' Street Triple...

Trade up for an SV1000S.
I thought he wanted an upright bike? The SV1000S is more slanted than the SV650S. If anything he should get a SV1000N, but they only made them for 1 year here. :(

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will the insurance premium for a Ninja 1000 be comparable to that of a supersport (such as a ZX-10R)? Are these 1k standards considered lower risk, or do insurance companies just see "1000cc" and instantly tack on some ridiculous quote? I pay virtually nothing for my sv650s (something like $5 a month), but I'm concerned what a brand new liter bike with full coverage will run me. And would the VFR800 be less, or more?

I've also heard great things about the V4 exhaust note, but I haven't seen many videos that give a good demo of the VFR. And I love I4s, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have a medium or longer inseam, the VFR is crazy cramped thanks in part to its low seat height. If you are average or shorter it may not be a big deal, but the Ninja 1000 is much roomier.

Check out many bikes here:
Motorcycle Ergonomics

And it is probably out of left field here but while the KTM RC8R is not really competitive as superbike, it is a damn good street/track day bike; sexy as hell and very comfortable, with damn near sport touring ergos with clipons in upper position and pegs in lowest. But you have to be a twin lover in order for it to even make sense.

From a practicality sense, the Ninja 1000 is hard to beat for what you want for something off the showroom floor though.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts