Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont think i've ever gotten an explanation. i started riding cuz i always wanted to. yet i have no explanation for it. it's just a feeling.

often on the road when you are riding some people will look at you.

is it cuz bikes are fast? on two wheels? thrilling? helmet? leather?

·
Making Horizons Vertical
1,871 Posts
If you have to ask....

·
It wasn't me
3,508 Posts
Because you're different, and riding has an element of danger to it. Some people even think it's on the verge of suicidal because of a lack of information and the media.

And the others either think the bike looks/sounds sweet, or wish they were doing the same thing.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think it's somewhere along the lines of having an "outsider" appearance. In the big scheme of things not that many people ride motorcycles, so it's kind of considered a rare breed. The whole idea of putting yourself out there, being able to control something with so much power (at least with sportbikes), and having a sort of mysterious image makes it sexy.

Not to mention, it makes your dick b*****. (Statistically speaking of course)

:boink

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
It's as close to flying without jumping from an airplane as you can get.

That and the phallic resemblance...

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts

:eek:nfloor:eek:nfloor:lao:lao

My friend who first suggested i get my own since I love them so much told me the same mentality that allows me to love caribbean carnival where i am in an elaborate costume and celebrating freedom from normal cares of life...is the same mentality that translates into my love of getting inside the helmet and getting away from it all...

I didn't realize it but he had a point...

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
It seems to be the one place I can't hear my cellphone.

There are other reasons of course :)

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I believe it started for me around when I first got my drivers license and was learning about fast cars and what their capabilities were. (When I was 15 I saw an ad for a Ford Probe in a TIME magazine and thought it was a cool sports car). Little did I know. A few Road & Track magazines later and I would daydream all day long about the '94 Chevrolet Camaro. Again, little did I know.

Back then the supercars were the Ferrari Testarossa, Acura NSX and Dodge Viper.

I came across my first issue of Sport Rider where they pitted a '93 CBR900RR against an Acura NSX on Willow Springs and Streets of Willow - still have the issue.

When I learned that an $8-10K sportbike would best any $250K supercar I was addicted.

The natural transition came from a love of being on bicycles and rollerblades - sports where balance and lean would give an exhilerating feeling of 'flying' through the curves rather than being bolted onto rails.

A hard slam to the sports car community was when they pitted the Kawasaki ZX9 against a dozen supercars in their periodical 0-100-0mph test. Have that issue on hand as well.

It is only when we see such roadgoing vehicles as the Enzo and Bugatti that consumer dollars can put a faster street legal machine on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Makes me feel like I can fly.

I don't care about why other people do second takes when they see me, I just love riding.

·
Your mom goes to college
1,001 Posts
as far as other people admiring or girls getting moist panties i think its because of the skill/danger element. for me its because its probably the most high performance machine i'll ever own/when i'm riding i'm in my own personal space, no phone calls from the girlfriend or my dad, its just me, the bike, and the twisties.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
often on the road when you are riding some people will look at you.
Because they are wondering if that leather suit is hot, since its 94 degrees outside, sunny, and 89% humidity, not to mention you have a 4" diameter piston almost directly under your crotch.

Because they have never seen a real life power ranger before.

And thirdly, because they "just can't see how you ride one of them crotch rocket bikes that you have to lay down on"

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think it's somewhere along the lines of having an "outsider" appearance. In the big scheme of things not that many people ride motorcycles, so it's kind of considered a rare breed. The whole idea of putting yourself out there, being able to control something with so much power (at least with sportbikes), and having a sort of mysterious image makes it sexy.

Damn. I knew I should have started with a sportbike.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
They were slightly less cool for you having made this thread

but then I saw your wolf avatar and they were really cool again. I had those wolf shirts in elementary school. They were awesome!

·
Registered
844 Posts
...Because they are...Duh...

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
For me its the motion. Having these huge forces around you, or a part of you. Just moving and not thinking. Its the same feeling I get snowboarding, except much faster!

Nice that people admire it or think I'm brave or crazy but that isn't it at all.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts