Sport Bikes banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
However it does stand to reason that they [Politics and Religion posts] can be in other sections.
If you were entirely disengaged and never visited the forum you run... then sure you might not know where people are posting.

So, what do you all recommend to help bring back bike content? we can run ride of the month contests, invite new sponsors, we can get our editorial team to add some new news about the latest models coming out. If you guys want to see it we can add it because we want the site to thrive, both on a personal and professional level. A live site is more useful than a dead one so what do you suggest to revive this one?

Kyle
If you want the cite to thrive (i assume you do, because it pays you), Then it is time you did some work to earn the money from the forum.

If you want the forum to thrive, you need to figure out what variables drive engagement in a forum.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
To be fair, we've done a good job of chasing off new members by calling people squids and being gear nazis and generally unwelcoming at times. I'm a gear nazi myself, but there are more cordial ways to go about it other than saying, "hey moron, get a full leather race suit to ride across town or you'll be a stain!"

We've been such dicks at times that it's no wonder people don't want to come here and stick around.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,588 Posts
Trying to revive this place is a good thing but did I read correctly some time back that the admin running this place don't ride motorcycles? Not a big deal but I am curious.
I remember a time this forum was owned by a guy and we all knew him by his name (Fred). not "admin".

he of course sold it to VS a long time ago like every other forum. can't blame him it's a lot of money for something you didn't really do any work to make. however, about this time on all the forums VS was buying up people started to realized what was going on and a huge wave of members just stopped posting. the once top visited site on the net, r6messagenet is now full of posts on the first page going back 4 years or more. people didn't like that the original owner of the forum gave another member the reigns of it and he turned around and sold it for thousands to vertical scope. everyone felt betrayed and quit posting. that has to of been a big loss for VS. (hopefully)

·
the joke is in your hand
8,588 Posts
:bouncies:bouncies:

Where oh where could those Politics & Religion posts be?

Maybe they are in the Pacific regional forum. Go check.

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Like i said, the admins aren't engaged and are content to just sit by and collect advertisment money .

Forums die, It happens. It takes someone putting energy, effort, and work into the forum to keep them going.
the members are the only thing that makes a forum. we all collectively make it what it is. we post stories, we post how to's, we post advise and try our best to help someone with technical problems. or that's what used to happen. I've got in many arguments with other members on other forums about this same thing. they all do what you guys seem to do is run off new/old members especially ones that ask questions that has been asked a hundred times or the ones who don't buddy up with them in the water cooler etc. you know the ones who would call each other bro. I've even been banned from the R6-forum because they're all "bro's" and don't like when I fuck with one of their own because they're a bunch of douche bags. you think ped is bad? well there are literally about 10 members on the R6-forum 20 times worse than ped and they all get in the same thread to try and belittle someone they don't like.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I miss Jim Schmidtt

·
Administrator
446 Posts
I think for VScope, more sponsors is always the way to go. More revenue is always a win win. But the downside is the countless banners the average user has to filter through. Those members might reason that if they want to see lots of ads, they'll just stay on FB. Forums should be different. They should be a place to get away from corporate America and be able to talk about things they're interested in. Not be innundated with so many ads that your head spins.

Other than that, I'm at a loss. People want to talk about what they're passionate about. P&R is a given in that aspect. But Sportbikes just don't have the same draw anymore. Hell, we barely get a page or 3 when we talk about the most incredible bikes on the planet with MotoGP threads. That says a lot.

All I can do is keep riding and typing and hope for the best.
That is the double edge sword yes. What about news content etc? We have people that can start adding content to tr***** discussion, would that be something worth while?

Kyle

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
^ It certainly would be worth trying if nothing else.

Everyone who is a true enthusiast would probably like to know what is new with bikes, gear, laws, tires, etc....

Sure there are tons of sources for everything- but you need to do something-as do the members. Then perhaps more members will join/come back and perhaps then it will get more about bikes and less about politics and religion...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
When I first joined this site I used to ask bike tech questions but I stopped and went to local forums. Everytime I'd ask something it would either get no reply or incredibly smart-assed replies. Sometimes youre just asking advice from people who may have more experience with a problem and not looking to get talked to like you're an idiot. So now I just come here for the P&R because it's entertaining

·
Short Yellow bus rider
223 Posts
When I first joined this site I used to ask bike tech questions but I stopped and went to local forums. Everytime I'd ask something it would either get no reply or incredibly smart-assed replies. Sometimes youre just asking advice from people who may have more experience with a problem and not looking to get talked to like you're an idiot. So now I just come here for the P&R because it's entertaining
Pretty much this ^^^

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Get rid of the trolls like ped. A politics section could be a good thing but this one is nothing but a name calling orgy and nothing is ever done about it. It's not a discussion most of the time and every time I visit one of the forums I feel like I need to take a shower thanks to the way admin allows these neanderthals to behave.
Have you considered immigration? America is noted for A55holes with opinions. What makes America great is those A55holes being allowed to share their opinions. I found your desire for censorship the worst post I have read here.:surprise:

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Have you considered immigration? America is noted for A55holes with opinions. What makes America great is those A55holes being allowed to share their opinions. I found your desire for censorship the worst post I have read here.:surprise:
Go be a dick in the politics dungeon where you belong.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,890 Posts
We are not going to pull the plug and we are open to suggestions on improving the forum. I can't promise anything but I can most definitely try.
So back on topic, the political threads clogging up the new posts page. Which forum section are they usually posted in? I can try blocking that section's new posts from appearing in the new posts page.

~Kay
Oh, come on, this place is dead and Vertical Scope couldn't care less about it. As of now I only visit once a day, if I get lucky I get 2 pages of new posts after clicking on "new posts"...

Let's see what I got today, 41 results, of which I can't tell, too late to check what 26 to 41 are as the search expired, but out of the first 25:

- 9 are from Motowheels.
- 3 are from Rider's Discount

Those are the only new treads, so rounding off the numbers, 50% of the results will be new threads by vendors. The rest are old threads that got new posts.

If I go to the activity, 44 members are online... Out of 120K members...

And that is the problem. Vertical scope only cares about the number of posts and registered users, that's how they go and sell the advertisement, "look we have a forum with 120K members and 4.8 million posts!" Then they go and sell advertisements to all these sites that cater to more or less the same people, for example, I'm a member on 8 different VS forums... Do you tihnk VS tells that to their advertisers? There is a reason why they won't let us delete posts or delete user accounts, they need those.

What would happen if they were to consolidate all these websites into one that only shared the open forums? We would have a website that could have as much traffic as the old SBN, but VS would no longer have that many members on different websites and they wouldn't be able to charge the advertisers as much as they did, so it will remain the same until they kill these forums and buy more forums.

SBN could become the Open and "non model specific" section of all VS sportbike forums; all of the model specific forums have such sections, SBN could become that part of them. Keep signing on with a single user account and wader off to the model specific websites when you need model specific info.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Which forum section are they usually posted in? I can try blocking that section's new posts from appearing in the new posts page.

~Kay
I for one am finding that REALLY annoying (the fact that they DON'T show up now). If anything, that should be a per-user preference.

·
Administrator
446 Posts
I for one am finding that REALLY annoying (the fact that they DON'T show up now). If anything, that should be a per-user preference.
Currently there are no supported plugins that make it user based, it's a global filter, when one that works comes up I'll gladly implement it.

Also again, I just wanted that question answered so I know what kind of new content to get on here, model specific or bikes in general, we have people for this.

Kyle

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Well the answer to that question is under open forums / politics and religion.

My post was because it seems someone has gone and made the change mentioned, recently. P&R used to show up under "new posts" and no longer do. I'd like to see them return.

The problem is there were (for example) 10 topics under "new posts", and 8 of which were P&R....the people who wanted bike posts are unhappy that there's only 2 bike posts. Now I log in and see the same 2 "new posts" (which may not be bike related either)...and have to go drilling through (or create a new bookmark of my own) to see the P&R section.

I'm all for more bike chatter....but we do discuss other things here too and hiding the new posts is frustrating.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
New posts by section? I confess to being lazy. I get a responce e-mail and then look at that thread. I seldom go to the main menu. Unless I'm looking for technical help.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I have never started a thread. I don't know how. I will try to figure it out so I can start a non-P&R thread. I just picked up new boots. I'll try to figure out how to start a thread on them. If the posters whining about P&R getting the bulk of the hits would start threads elsewhere, that might change. Maybe that is to simple?
It might take a while. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts