Sport Bikes banner

161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Banned
2,172 Posts
lndshrk said:
It's funny, because of the people who actually LIVE here in Utah, we all
understand why Larry Miller did what he did.. it was smart for his business.

The rest of you just don't get it.

Now, I'm not LDS.. I'm not sure if Poulsen is or isn't.. but this has NOTHING
to do w/ "religion".. it has everything to do with the fact that for the
majority of people in the Sandy Utah area, the concept of "Gay Cowboys"
is considered anywhere from "ridiculous" to "repulsive" and in no case is it
considered "hey, that's interesting"

It is THOSE people that are the customers of Jordan Landing.

I challenge both you and Fargin Bastige to come out here to Utah and I'll
personally take you down south to meet some REAL ranchers, hands, and
cowboys.. The real ones, not movie ones.. moving herd thru BLM lands and
the like. You can discuss the premise with them.

But enough of that.. the simple fact is that Larry Miller didn't show the movie
because he didn't want to.. and as a business OWNER he can do that.

DEAL WITH IT you WHINEY BASTARDS. :bitchslap
This is another dumb diatribe. You proved he had the percentage wrong, what else?

You say because you live there, you know. Well, he said he went to Sandy also. So, your argument is the same.

Again, you haven't proven a thing. Just typical bullshit. Call me whiney all you want. Fact is, you still haven't said anything other than I know.

Which is not a fact.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
As a non-religous, non-Utah resident, heterosexual male, you couldnt pay me to go see this movie, based on its premise. The last thing I want to see is fudge packing cowboys. Deal with it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:
Again, of that population, statistically, 10% are gay. That's the way it works.

You have Jackie Bisckupski (sp?) and a more vocal gay population.

The times they are a changing, even in Utah.
Fargin, I like you, normally I agree with you, but I think in this, you are fighting a losing battle, your statement that "statistically" 10% of LDS land Sandy are gay, is like saying that (hypothetically) since 50% of the US population is white, that 50% of the population in Harlem is white as well. It is a logical fallacy, and sometimes you have to accept that in certain parts of the country, like minded people congregate.

P.S. I would bet the gay population of say, San Fran is a bit higher than 10%
It is called "average" for a reason.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:
Why, again, does this film condone homosexuality because that's it's subject matter and a movie, whose subject matter is torture, doesn't condone it?
It isn't so much that one "condones" something and another doesn't, I think the point he is trying to make, is one has a premise of homosexuality, and the other is a horror film that involves torture. all the press I have heard about brokeback mountain suggests that it is only popular because of the shock value, as in, that is the point of the film. a GAY cowboy movie. If it were marketed as a western romance, that happens to be two guys, that is one thing, but every bit I have heard sounds the same; "a GAY cowboy movie about two GAY cowboys who learn to deal with being GAY in a time when GAY GAY GAY... etc etc etc" I just want to yell "I get it, they are gay, nobody Fing cares!"

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
sonix said:
It isn't so much that one "condones" something and another doesn't, I think the point he is trying to make, is one has a premise of homosexuality, and the other is a horror film that involves torture. all the press I have heard about brokeback mountain suggests that it is only popular because of the shock value, as in, that is the point of the film. a GAY cowboy movie. If it were marketed as a western romance, that happens to be two guys, that is one thing, but every bit I have heard sounds the same; "a GAY cowboy movie about two GAY cowboys who learn to deal with being GAY in a time when GAY GAY GAY... etc etc etc" I just want to yell "I get it, they are gay, nobody Fing cares!"
Not unlike "The passion of Christ". Where hypocritical violence haters took their 5 year olds to see an extremely violent movie. And made a bizillon dollars on sheer hype and the fact that the more people talked about it, people just HAD to see it, and more so, justified it because it met their AGENDA.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
sonix said:
Fargin, I like you, normally I agree with you, but I think in this, you are fighting a losing battle, your statement that "statistically" 10% of LDS land Sandy are gay, is like saying that (hypothetically) since 50% of the US population is white, that 50% of the population in Harlem is white as well. It is a logical fallacy, and sometimes you have to accept that in certain parts of the country, like minded people congregate.

P.S. I would bet the gay population of say, San Fran is a bit higher than 10%
It is called "average" for a reason.
and I admitted I wasn't correct on the 10% comment, BUT, monkey boy, via here and PMs has latched onto it like a remora.

I still believe that there's no way to definitively say it would have flopped there and that religious intolerance had nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
did you hear about the gay midget? he came out of the cupboard....

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
sonix said:
I don't see it being marketed that way, it's just what the buzz is around it because, for some reason, it's still considered shocking.

Why spend so much time worrying about gays, when it really doesn't affect you at all? (A hypothetical you, not you)

This is what's so dumb. Like I said, I wouldn't see this movie because it doesn't interest me, but I should at least have that choice left up to me.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I am starting to like the politics and religion section. This is better than the smack shack.
:popcorn check. :beer check.
O.K. lets get ready to rumble :bitchslap

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
Wow. According to CNN, Brokeback Mountain received Best Drama and Best Actor awards.

Just you wait until the sequel, Brokeback Stallion, hits the box office with a storyline involving lust between two cowboys and one of the cowboys' jealous steed. The stump-trained steed just can't take being "sloppy seconds" any longer and stomps a mudhole in the other cowboy's bitch-ass. The rest of the film captures the feelings and the internal conflicts between the cowboy and his horse. Talk about a guaranteed Best Drama nominee...

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Drifter said:
Wow. According to CNN, Brokeback Mountain received Best Drama and Best Actor awards.

Just you wait until the sequel, Brokeback Stallion, hits the box office with a storyline involving lust between two cowboys and one of the cowboys' jealous steed. The stump-trained steed just can't take being "sloppy seconds" any longer and stomps a mudhole in the other cowboy's bitch-ass. The rest of the film captures the feelings and the internal conflicts between the cowboy and his horse. Talk about a guaranteed Best Drama nominee...
I'd just like to add that it is an unfortunate name for the movie.

Why not just call it skinned knee mountain or irritated chin mountain?

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Its funny, here where I live all the theaters but two pulled it off the roster. Naturally I was so intrigued by the stigma of the movie I decided to go see it.

Its most definetly a gay cowboy movie and all I can say is that if the production money for Broke Back had been put in HOSTLE.......hostle wouldnt have sucked so bad.

I still dont see how theater owners find it right to impose judgement on it. I was in a crappy theater that charges 3 bucks less than the giant theater and it was packed..........with tree hugging sissies mind you but the girl and I watched it.

BTW..........I wouldnt recommend it to anyone unless you really have questions of your sexual orientation.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:
Let the consumers decide. We're not mentally capable of deciding which movie we'd like?

If this movie were about a hetero couple, it wouldn't have had a problem and probably would have tanked at the box office.

If it were about a hetero couple, I still wouldn't go see it because it doesn't interest me. I just don't want some corporation dictating morality.
The point isnt that the movie was censored. The owner made a decision not to show it. That is more overriding than his "moral" need to show it. His right to choose how his business operates is just that a RIGHT... we dont have the RIGHT to see a certain movie. We have the CHOICE to see it somewhere it is being played.

I dont see an issue with it. Of course, this thread isnt about the theatre owner making a choice within his/her rights, you (all) are making it into censorship, which it is NOT.

161 - 180 of 190 Posts