Sport Bikes banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
hanglowejohnson said:
The point isnt that the movie was censored. The owner made a decision not to show it. That is more overriding than his "moral" need to show it. His right to choose how his business operates is just that a RIGHT... we dont have the RIGHT to see a certain movie. We have the CHOICE to see it somewhere it is being played.

I dont see an issue with it. Of course, this thread isnt about the theatre owner making a choice within his/her rights, you (all) are making it into censorship, which it is NOT.
How could you say it's not about censorship? Did he pull the movie a few hours before opening?

Did he pull it because of subject matter?

Do ALL economic signs point to it being a profitable movie, even in conservative areas?

All answers are yes.

And yet, a movie about torture is ok?

Messed up priorities.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:
How could you say it's not about censorship? Did he pull the movie a few hours before opening?

Did he pull it because of subject matter?

Do ALL economic signs point to it being a profitable movie, even in conservative areas?

All answers are yes.

And yet, a movie about torture is ok?

Messed up priorities.
I think on all counts you are correct... EXCEPT that it is censorship... You cannot censor without authority. When you can walk down the street and watch the same movie, it isnt censorship, its choice.

My actual views on the movie mean nothing. The movie theatre owner's RIGHT to choose mean everything.

How about this... if this... if we were talking about Hostel would you still have started this thread? If a theatre (and I guarantee there is one in the country) didnt want to show this movie... how would you approach it? Would you have still started a thread questioning the decision?

Let's take it a step further, what reason would you attach to? The violence aspect, the sexual aspect, maybe the theatre just doesnt like Quentin? The reality is, as in this situation, we dont even really know the reason he wouldnt show it. You (we) just assume and decide to attach the reason as being the gay aspect.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
hanglowejohnson said:
I think on all counts you are correct... EXCEPT that it is censorship... You cannot censor without authority. When you can walk down the street and watch the same movie, it isnt censorship, its choice.

My actual views on the movie mean nothing. The movie theatre owner's RIGHT to choose mean everything.

How about this... if this... if we were talking about Hostel would you still have started this thread? If a theatre (and I guarantee there is one in the country) didnt want to show this movie... how would you approach it? Would you have still started a thread questioning the decision?

Let's take it a step further, what reason would you attach to? The violence aspect, the sexual aspect, maybe the theatre just doesnt like Quentin? The reality is, as in this situation, we dont even really know the reason he wouldnt show it. You (we) just assume and decide to attach the reason as being the gay aspect.
So, the fact that it was pulled after the content of the movie was revealed to Larry Miller has nothing to do with it?

If they pulled Hostel then I would have started the same thing, yes.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
I know how to kill this thread

Attachments

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
I have no clue, but to prove my straightness, I googled animated gifs; its at the top of the 2nd page and made me think of this thread.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
but UT Jazz owner Larry Miller built one of the best road courses to date - www.millermotorsportspark.com and if he would have played it Im sure the church would have gotten in an uproar and protested any theatre who did, and when (IMO) 60% belongs to the church here that is a big cut in business.

and John Wayne would roll over in his grave.

181 - 190 of 190 Posts