Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newsflash: If it bothers you so much, don't see it. I have no plans to see it, because I have no interest in it.

What I DO have a problem with is the movie theatre deciding not to let me choose to see it.

Have we all gone insane with this gay thing?

Utah megaplex balks at 'Brokeback'

Sunday, January 8, 2006; Posted: 2:16 p.m. EST (19:16 GMT)

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- A movie theater owned by Utah Jazz owner Larry Miller abruptly changed its screening plans and decided not to show the film "Brokeback Mountain."

The film, an R-rated Western gay romance story, was supposed to open Friday at the Megaplex at Jordan Commons in Sandy, a suburb of Salt Lake City. Instead it was pulled from the schedule.

A message posted at the ticket window read: "There has been a change in booking and we will not be showing 'Brokeback Mountain.' We apologize for any inconvenience."

Cal Gunderson, manager of the Jordan Commons Megaplex, declined to comment.

The film, starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, is about two cowboys who discover feelings for one another. The two eventually marry women but rekindle their relationship over the years.

The movie's distributor, Focus Features, said that hours before opening, the theater management "reneged on their licensing agreement," and refused to open the film.

Gayle Ruzicka, president of the conservative Utah Eagle Forum, said not showing the film set an example for the people of Utah.

"I just think (pulling the show) tells the young people especially that maybe there is something wrong with this show," she said.

Mike Thompson, executive director of the gay rights advocacy group Equality Utah, called it disappointing.

"It's just a shame that such a beautiful and award-winning film with so much buzz about it is not being made available to a broad Utah audience because of personal bias," he said.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
I think demographics had a large part to do with what happened; not that justifies managements decision to pull the film from the schedule. Homosexuality is still taboo in a lot of places in the United States.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mikem317 said:
I think demographics had a large part to do with what happened; not that justifies managements decision to pull the film from the schedule. Homosexuality is still taboo in a lot of places in the United States.
Was the homosexual recruitment bus hanging outside the malls handing out free tickets to the young 'uns?

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Tough one! Does owning a theatre complex come with an associated obligation to show films? What of the freedom of the theatre owner? Personally I feel that a business serving the public should operate with a larger sense of obligation to the public above personal preferences. That said, I don't see how anyone benefits by "forcing" business owners to carry certain products, films, etc. that they find objectionable or risks there business income. That risk should be a decision of the business owner. They are ultimately who pays the price in loss of business or poorly attended movies.

Personally, I have no interest in seeing this film and even less in boycotting a theatre that serves the notion of customer choice. If I don't have any interest, I either see another film or stay home.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm not all that surprised, nor do I care. We have three mega-multiplex type movie theaters (ok, like 15 screens each) within a 45 minute drive and often times we don't get certain movie at any of them.

The owner of the theater may just not think it would be profitable, so he decided not to show it. I don't think it's a big deal. I'm used to movie theater's not getting every movie out at the time, so it's no big deal.

Even if it's an anti-gay thing, who cares? It's still a big problem in this coutry, and probably always will be.

·
Registered
173 Posts
BusaDave said:
Tough one! Does owning a theatre complex come with an associated obligation to show films? What of the freedom of the theatre owner? Personally I feel that a business serving the public should operate with a larger sense of obligation to the public above personal preferences. That said, I don't see how anyone benefits by "forcing" business owners to carry certain products, films, etc. that they find objectionable or risks there business income. That risk should be a decision of the business owner. They are ultimately who pays the price in loss of business or poorly attended movies.
^^^
exactly

Since when was it a constitutional right for you to get to see "Brokeback mountain"?

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Geowitz said:
^^^
exactly

Since when was it a constitutional right for you to get to see "Brokeback mountain"?
Besides, if this guy doesn't decide to show, I'm sure theater down the street or across town will show it. If people want to see it bad enough they'll just go there.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since when is it ok to censor a movie for content and let other bad shit slide by? Which one has a more adverse effect on the viewer?

So your moral message is that a movie containing horrific violence is ok because it doesn't contain gayness?

F'ed up morality.

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
Gay cowboys taboo in Utah?

Somebody remind these people that they're the poster state for polygamy. Idiots.

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:
Since when is it ok to censor a movie for content and let other bad shit slide by? Which one has a more adverse effect on the viewer?

So your moral message is that a movie containing horrific violence is ok because it doesn't contain gayness?

F'ed up morality.
I think it's because every radical religious freak has a deep-rooted fear that a movie about gay cowboys will turn our nation's youth into an ARMY OF GAY ZOMBIES.

I actually want to see it, I'm curious about how they go about portraying homosexality in such an anticipated film. It won't make me queer, right? :popcorn

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Geowitz said:
Don't fall all over yourself in agreeing with me! I believe it actually IS your Constitutional right to see or not see this or any other movie, including Michael Moore, whom people were falling all over themselves to ban.

I see no obligation for any theatre to show any movie, but would hope that they feel some obligation to serve the public at large. Even more, I hope that the public at large would support the right of choice as opposed to suppression.

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
BusaDave said:
Even more, I hope that the public at large would support the right of choice as opposed to suppression.
Likewise. Too many people think they know what's right for the people. Let us decide whether or not to see the movie.

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
2,238 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:
My problem with it is that a theater like this will show Hostile, a film that has a ton of violence, but Brokeback is objectionable material? Kinda f'ed up priorities, if you ask me.

Let the consumer decide.
Most of the consumers here in Utah would decide not to see it anyway. Yeah it was taken out of the line up because of gay cowboys and what not but this decision will most likely also end up benefitting the theater monetarily. They will probably make more money showing a different film rather than keeping Brokeback Mountain in the line up because I seriously think the local homosexual population would be some of the only ones interested in seeing the movie.

edit: And from what I've seen so far, no one here is complaining. I only know about this from CNN but the local news stations and newspapers aren't reporting on it because people here just don't care. It's kind of weird how the national media is making a big deal about it but without them all of us in Salt Lake City wouldn't even know about it.

·
Nurse Nymphette
7,289 Posts
Unfortunately censure is a catch-22 situation. Once we start censoring one thing, we will start censoring all things. Then the next thing you know we have a scene right out Fahrenheit 451.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You gotta remeber, if you own a business you can refuse any customer for any reason. So what if the movie theater didn't want to show it. It was their choice. My movie theater where i grew up didn't show "Friday" or any of those black movies. I would have to go 50 mins away if I wanted to see them. Oh well its their right not to show it.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Fargin_Bastige said:

F'ed up morality.

If you'd really like to know it's called private property open to the public. AKA not government owned, aka not your's in any legal sense. By your mentality I should be able to go anywhere and do anything I want to, my right to do so even if it's say..in your home? Something tells me if a dude at your pad tried to rodeo fuck you, you'd tell'em to get the hell out. But what right to do so have you got? Oh right your house. Which as I used above is "private property."

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ASCI_Blue said:
If you'd really like to know it's called private property open to the public. AKA not government owned, aka not your's in any legal sense. By your mentality I should be able to go anywhere and do anything I want to, my right to do so even if it's say..in your home? Something tells me if a dude at your pad tried to rodeo fuck you, you'd tell'em to get the hell out. But what right to do so have you got? Oh right your house. Which as I used above is "private property."
First off, how do you know my mentality?

Secondly, where did I say you should be able to go anywhere and do anything?

Thirdly, I'm talking about selective morality.

Fourthly, what does someone trying to rape me have anything to do with a movie theater showing one topic that may be objectionable, but not showing another one due to bullshit morality?

By this decision, it's cool to show someone torturing another person to death, but a relationship between 2 consenting adults is verbotten.

It's the hypocrisy of it that bugs me.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts