Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Professional Loser
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand why everyone likes to ride in the summer. I always ride with my leather jacket, gloves, jeans, and helmet and it is hot as hell. Everday it is sunny, in the 90s and 100% humidity here. Anywhere I go people say to me, "Must be nice to on that bike on a day like this," as I'm sweating profusely. All the while I'm thinking maybe if I was wearing a T-shirt and sunglasses like everyone else I see riding around it would feel good. I miss winter. Late fall and early spring were great too. But the thing is, I hear riders that wear gear everywhere who like to ride in the summer better too. Excluding places where it snows or has bad weather why do people like to ride in the summer? Am I missing something. I like to ride my bike year round but the comfortability drops a lot in the summer for me.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Warmer road temps + warm tires = good traction

that's why tracks normally shut down around late Oct, early Nov.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah, everybody talks about throwing in the towel for the Winter... I'm the opposite, I can't handle these heat indexes of 110-115 degrees. Not only is it uncomfortable, but it's dangerous.

Fortunately this approach works for me since our winter in Alabama is mild at best.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Well, let me put what I said the other way....

Colder Temps + Colder Roads = Less Traction = Less Fun

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
i will ride any time as long as there is no snow or ice

·
Professional Loser
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to the mountains all winter and I never had bad traction. I could ride the curves just as hard as in the summer.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Its hard to get grip in 2 ft of snow. And when the roads are plowed you got rock salt to worry about oh yeah not to mention the -10 degree weather.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hated riding in the summer....but then I took out the liner in the jacket. Riding is better now :moon

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Gasm said:
I don't understand why everyone likes to ride in the summer..
This is quite an odd question...I like to ride no matter what time of year it is...I like to ride, simple as that...

I'm not in this sport for seasonal fun, I ride almost every day all year...And I do it because it's something I truly love doing...It's like a secret that no one else knows...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Here in Dallas it's the same thing. Way too hot to ride during the day (90+ degrees outside from 9am til about 11pm). I'll actually wait until 9:30 or 10pm to go out and ride, and it's still uncomfortably hot in a leather jacket/helmet/gloves/boots. I miss spring/fall/winter now, too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Because for me, in the Fall/Winter/Earlyspring we have 5ft of snow on the roads. Only time we can ride is during the summer when it's in the 80's.

Wes

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
ummmmm...........
summer= warm
winter = cold................... either way, I ride. But I prefer warm to cold, as I assume most ppl do.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think a more appopriate question would be "Why do people like to ride in extreme weather?"

I consider the weather we're dealing with in Alabama right now to be on the extreme end of the scale just as I would consider snowstorms, ice, freezing weather, etc. to be extreme weather. Both situations can be overcome safely with a little adaptation on the rider's part.

Such as, despite the super hot weather I'll still go out and ride, but you won't see me riding to work or just around town... only out in the country where I can keep the speeds up so I don't cook. But when the temperature goes down you'll see me on the bike more often... if it's above freezing and below 80 degrees I'll be on the bike more often than in the car.

·
Banned
245 Posts
because its warm enough for the poseurs to ride without any gear.

im out riding till its 30* out. I'll go colder if im not lazy enough to order some winter gear.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Gasm said:
I was going to the mountains all winter and I never had bad traction. I could ride the curves just as hard as in the summer.
Then you have obviously never explored the TRUE limits of traction :headbang Road temp effects traction, not as much as tire temp, but a warm tire will stick to a warm surface better than a cold surface, simple logic.

·
Registered
569 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Then you have obviously never explored the TRUE limits of traction :headbang Road temp effects traction, not as much as tire temp, but a warm tire will stick to a warm surface better than a cold surface, simple logic.
If you're exploring the *true* limits of traction on public roads you're asking to get hurt.

Your logic is fine, but most of us don't race around on the street like we would at the track. So heat in the tires and pavement surface isn't such a huge deal so long as it isn't ice that you're dealing with.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Mykl said:
If you're exploring the *true* limits of traction on public roads you're asking to get hurt.

Your logic is fine, but most of us don't race around on the street like we would at the track. So heat in the tires and pavement surface isn't such a huge deal so long as it isn't ice that you're dealing with.
True, sometimes I forget that people ride on the street too, lol.

·
Registered
569 Posts
firefighter81 said:
True, sometimes I forget that people ride on the street too, lol.
doh, yeah... you only ride at the track? I wish I were so lucky. :( But then again, I'm really getting bitten by this touring thing... it's a lot of fun in and of itself. :)

Some day I'll have a pure track bike, but I have a ways to go. I always have had a street bike, and I'm going to keep it that way. When I want to challenge the limits of traction on my bike I go for a ride in the rain. It is fun to feel the bike squirming and sliding around beneath you, but at the same time I'd rather not do it at the speeds required to do it in dry weather.

·
Registered
234 Posts
not sure about anyone else but in florida it is not pleasant to ride in the summer, although sometimes ya just have to suck it up and sweat, no riding to work though because by the time i get there i am dehydrated and i imagine i smell worse that i would if i were to go a week without a shower, florida sux

1 - 20 of 46 Posts