Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of threads here where people say something like, "I've never ridden before, and want a CBR600. What color should I get", or something like that, and then there are about 50 replies of people telling the poor guy that he's going to die a horrible death and he should get a 500 or a 250. Really, what does it matter? Why not just recomend drawing a fake red-line at about 8 grand for the first 6 months? Or even just telling the guy to take it easy at first? Sure, you can make 105 horsepower, and you can do 160 mph, but you don't have to.

I would tell the guy to buy an old anything, because it's going to get dropped in the driveway or at a light, but I wouldn't recomend based on power.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'd have to agree with you, I just got a 600 after selling my 500, and I realize now I could have started with this, it has a lot more power, but that only depends on how hard you twist the throttle! Only thing a 500 would be better at is if they're trying to do something stupid, then those are a little more forgiving. And unless you're a female I think it's stupid to get a 250, unless you "never" have to drive on the highway.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Social engineering! Sounds like the anti-drug message.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Because it's very easy to lay down a sportbike, and if you notice, it's almost impossible to find a used 500 that hasn't been downed. Sure, maybe that difference between 130 for a 500 or 160 for a 600 could save your life if you're going top speed and crash, don't really think so though.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
so is it a good idea to find your dream bike knowing your gonna drop it? or find a learner bike and get your drops out of the way?

actually it's very easy to lay a bike down, cuz you don't know what your doing......if you do know, the chances go down......

·
Registered
954 Posts
If you're arguement is, you'll feel better about dropping a $3000 than a $6000 bike, that's the only thing I could agree with you on. But with the whole thing "you'll kill yourself with a 600 but be fine with a 500" I'd have to disagree with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
torok said:
I've seen a lot of threads here where people say something like, "I've never ridden before, and want a CBR600. What color should I get", or something like that, and then there are about 50 replies of people telling the poor guy that he's going to die a horrible death and he should get a 500 or a 250. .
Maybe because the 50 people who reply that way are sick to their stomachs of scraping their friends off the road!?
If I went to a MC site, asked for advice and got overwhelming replies saying the same thing... I'd probably do 2+2=4.

This is not an opinion - it's an empirical truism.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
disagree all you want........odds are odds. and odd of getting hurt on a 600 are much higher then a 500

and chances are better you'll do better on a 500, not necesarrily "you'll be fine"

·
Registered
954 Posts
Did you make up these odds or just from what you think you might have seen or found these on a website or?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
it;s all made up man, we want everybody to start on 500's so they won't be as cool as us, cuz we have b***** bikes......

hang out here long enough or actually get a few years riding under your belt....and see if your mind doesn't change.

i've seen a poll done.....a while bike........but there is no actual data, to that effect, as nobody does the study. but ask your insurance agent. he has data........hence why 500 have reasonable ins. and 600SS don't.....

·
Registered
954 Posts
As with any larger bike the insurance company gets more expensive, mine went from 250 for a year to 303, not that big of a difference.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
almost a 20% increase with less then 100cc inc. ........not alot........please....

and what about full coverage?

why should it go up for b***** bikes, if not for crashing.......HD ins is cheap as hell and they are all almost over 1liter.......?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I see it all the time. Guys wanting 600's for their first bikes. Then ending up in a ICU or a morgue because they HAD to have the latest and greatest. Maybe we harp because WE as a motorcycle/sportbike community actually CARE about our community and want to see new riders stay alive and continue to be riders.

You are all aware that even early 90's 600ss push 90-100HP correct? An ex-500 is half that and is much more forgiving. If I had a dime for every story I heard about some new rider who grabbed a handfull of throttle, or the bike got away from them, or something was stuck in the throttle I could probably retire.

You need to hone your riding skills, your street survival skills, and your riding maturity first. The last thing you need is to also worry about a bike that can go from street to track competition in 30 minutes of prep. Bikes aren't going anywhere. 50K and 2-3 years from now the 600ss bikes will still be badass. Patience and maturity will keep you alive. Image and impatience may kill you.

Just my .02

·
Registered
954 Posts
Don't know, it was out of my price range for either one.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
well, ask and you might be suprised........and why do you think it's so high?

i pay less then you for lia. on my 800cc bike, why?

let me tell ya........odds are people in my age group crash less then people in your age group.

same thing w/ 500cc bikes vs 600SS bikes.....

and then we can get into why 600SS bikes are less newb freindly.......steering geometry, power delivery, very powerful brakes........you don't think the 500 was a good step but you really don't know alot......

i have a class this weekend, of all new noobs, and i'll do my damdest to get the 600 is OK out of there heads.......

night night.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
SMFCPACFP said:
I certainly would not get on anyone who wanted a 600 bike. I think they are great in terms of weight and power. :cheers

Of course when people ask for advice on an internet forum, they should expect all kinds of advice.
you also plan your crashes........... :lol , so you'll know when to wear gear....... :alky

1 - 20 of 188 Posts