Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most people probably don't know who Phil Hendrie is, so let me explain. He is a radio political commentator who became a radio comedian about 15 years ago. Anyway, he was commenting on why people hate motorcycles.

I don't agree with him on the helmet law thing, but I thought this was a very interesting commentary.

http://vettefinders.com/rhys/delete/cycle.mp3 348k mp3

Right click/save as

Please comment

·
Registered
569 Posts
That guy is wierd.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think he's probably right to a point. Lane splitting really pisses people off and I could see that contributing to the passage of law. It's not allowed here in MN, but we also don't require helmets.

Almost everyone, however, has seatbelt laws now, and that's very similar legislation. It has more to do with the government trying to be big brother and protect us from ourselves.

How we ride our bikes in traffic has much more to do with whether or not people hate us. You have to show respect to get respect.

...just my $.02

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gpTT said:
Sounds like a Pro-Motorcycle undercurrent to me. Satire is a wonderful thing.....
You are right on that. That is Hendrie's show/game. His show is based on it, but I do think that he is describing what people do think (not him though).

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Definitely an interesting approach to the relationship between outsiders (cycles) and insiders (cagers). Is it safe to say that because Florida has no helmet law that the drivers in FL like motorcycles? I thought the guy was gonna lead into "We hate motorcycles so we make them wear helmets so when we hit them we don't get nailed for murder" but he made it out to be a little spite behind the helmet law.

·
Swollen Member
745 Posts
One better...

Consider the hatred for smokers. Private property liberties are being shredded (particularly in California) because of relatively few rabid anti-smoking zealots.

And if you spend ANY time listening to Phil, you can bet he could give a RIP about whether motorcylists wear helmets. He's a good guy.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Unbridled Rage said:
One better...

Consider the hatred for smokers. Private property liberties are being shredded (particularly in California) because of relatively few rabid anti-smoking zealots.

And if you spend ANY time listening to Phil, you can bet he could give a RIP about whether motorcylists wear helmets. He's a good guy.
"The government" legislates things like seatbelts, helmets, and smoking because the public usually won't recognize what's in their best interests. The bottom line is that preventable injuries and illness costs the government (and therefore all of us) money in the form of medical, medicaid, medicare, or whatever government-sponsored health insurance program your state has.

Plus, some adults are irresponsible as far as their own kids are concerned. Will a 6 year old make a decision on his/her own to wear a seatbelt or avoid a smoke-filled room with the TV on?

Where/how are private property liberties being shredded? Last I saw (even in CA) smoking was only banned in public places. The public has a right to a smoke-free environment. This is actually one (not the only) reason why I quit 9 years ago. Even then it was getting to be a real pain to find a place to smoke away from home where you weren't treated like a felon.

·
Politically incorrect
508 Posts
I agree that most people probably hate motorcyclists on the road because of the freedom it personifies as we buzz around them, and in between them as they sit in line, but I don't think that is the reason for the helmet law. Also remember he is a comedian, but not a very funny one apparently.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SMFCPACFP said:
Also remember he isn't a commedian, but not a very funny one apparently.
Oh my God, you haven't heard him much then. Jesus, I'll have to post the one about parachuting cats. Yes, cats

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
We had a Motorcycle show on base @ Seabee Days... (i'm not gonna explain what that is)

SO at this show they were giving away BALL's T-Shirts.... can anyone guess what BALL's stands for..

Bikers
Against
Lid
Laws

I about died laughing when I heard that...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Could it be that, while the pickup truck owner next to me at the fuel pump is about to spend 45 bucks or more on his weekly gas bill; I on the otherhand am about spend 7 bucks......Ha Ha !!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts