Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Situation:
I found out the other day that my right clip-on is broken - I can pull the bar end right off. Doing so brings about half to three-fourths of an inch of clip on with it. This was broken before I bought the bike ('02 F4i purchased this March) and I didn't notice until now because the piece stays inside the grip quite well.

My Question:
Should I buy a replacement STOCK clip-on or go with an aftermarket set (perhaps Vortex)?
What benefit would aftermarket clip-ons provide for me? I don't race though I do enjoy a twisty canyon or mountain pass. I am conerned with having enough weight on the bar ends to dampen vibration (I don't like numb hands).

Insert your advice/opinion here...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've never looked into aftermarket clip-ons, so I'm not sure what to tell you. Do you know what the difference is between the two? I can't think of what they would really change, besides the angle of the clip-ons. I'd take a look at the Vortex and see if they offer any advantage. If they do, and they're not much more than stock, I'd go ahead and get them. Aftermarket parts are generally better, so you'd probably be happy with them.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Just go aftermarked , there probably cheaper . Only thing is you may have to do the lead shot and cotton trick to add weight if you feel the need.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
some models just require that you buy the bar itself, not the entire clip-on assembly. my yamaha was that way. an extra bar was about $12.

not all aftermarket clips work with every bike. you may find that the rise and angle has changed. some require you to drill your own mounting holes for throttle assembly. some are not drilled to accept bar ends requiring more drilling.

price and simplicity says buy stock. if you don't mind the work and want something different on your bike go aftermarket.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The only real advantage to aftermarket is the ease and cost of replacement. Such that you can replace only the bar or clamp if damaged.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
hozhead said:
My Situation:
I found out the other day that my right clip-on is broken - I can pull the bar end right off. Doing so brings about half to three-fourths of an inch of clip on with it. This was broken before I bought the bike ('02 F4i purchased this March) and I didn't notice until now because the piece stays inside the grip quite well.
Maybe a result of bad wheel attempts? :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mikem317 said:
Maybe a result of bad wheel attempts? :eek:nfloor
It may in fact be. But they weren't my attempts.
Granted, my attempts are bad - the bike just doesn't fall over.

I think I'll go with stock bars at this point.
Looking at the available clip-ons, it seems they would all put my riding position a bit farther forward. That's not really what I'm looking for - especially after making a 600 mile round trip last weekend.

Thanks for the info and advice folks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
im am changing my clip ons also.but unlike stock clip ons i am getting 0 degree bend.wich in fact puts u at a more upright postion.my rists get numb sometimes fromm leaning on them.i stunt and like the 0 degree.im getting from freestyle ingenuity.com.as far as vibration jus get weighted bar ends ur stock r usually fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts