Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah! going from a early 90's 600 to a new 600 is huge. My friend as a yamaha fzr600 and its a dog compaired to my zzr and its a dog compaired to my friends r6.

·
Registered
213 Posts
if your going to ride alot of straight roads or highway ridding the 14 would be great even if you do ride the twisties it will be fine but if you plan on doing trackdays I think the 10 would be a better choice , I do trackdays and have only seen i big bike there and it was a hyabusa I have never seen a 14 there , anyway there both great It just depends what you plan on doing with it

·
Registered
109 Posts
gs500 is a tractor (slow bike with slow revving motor) compared to yzf600r and yzf600r is a scooter compared to 05 zx10r. I was scared of 10r for several days, it was a huge step from yzf600r, I can not imagen going from 500 to a liter bike.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I might actually get a ZX-10R. I don't want to ride a tank, and I'm afraid that a step up from 500 to 600 won't be a big enough difference...
You have no idea what your getting into. I rode en ex500 for 3 yrs before i went to a zzr600. The first time i really got into my zzr i was lol WOW. You figure the top end of an ex500 is around 115 and the zzr does that in a few sec in second gear. Its a totally different beast.

Yes, a ZZR is going to be a better bike then a katana and a yzf because its internals are the same as the older 98-02 zx6r and not a toned beefed up cheap version of an ex500/gs500.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I might actually get a ZX-10R. I don't want to ride a tank, and I'm afraid that a step up from 500 to 600 won't be a big enough difference...
Before people start to jump down your throat, I'll try to explain the difference in power.

Your bike makes about 50 hp and 30lb/ft of torque. It's a very respectable decently quick bike. Runs the 1/4 in a bit under 13 seconds (faster than most v8 muscle cars).

Then you have a litre bike. The 08 Zx10 makes about 85lb/ft of torque and probably around 175hp. It can and will spin up the rear wheel and just about match the top speed of your 500 in first gear.

They're very fast and not at all forgiving. It would be like going from a Mustang to an F1 car..

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Or to put it another way - any of the 600s will have TWICE the power of your current bike. If that's not a big enough step, you're not twisting the throttle hard enough on your current bike.

There's a thread on another forum about a very experienced rider who was entering a freeway on ramp with his ZX-14. His wife, riding her own bike, was just behind. He rolled on enough throttle (not full throttle) that the bike spun the rear up for just a moment, presumably on a paint line. When it hooked back up the power was enough to flip the bike instantly, landing on him and breaking his back.

KeS

·
sacrilicious
752 Posts
I went from a ZRX1200 (still own it) to a 2007 zx6r, durring the time I had the zx6, I was able to ride a gs500.

trust me and everyone else. A 600 will blow your freaking mind. Butt puckering acceleration, super light weight. I had NO trouble keeping up with my friends literbikes, and even passing a few of them on twisty roads.

A ZX10r is my next bike, but with years of experience on both track and street, and well over one hundered thousand miles traveled in all conditions, I think I'm ready for that monster.

THINK.

I'm still apprehensive of the ZX10r. So many stories. so much power.

OH, and I've ridden a ZX14, stretched 7", nitrous, lowered 3", that gear taken out to make it more brutal in the low end of the rpms, that bike is nuts. I just ... I simply can not imagine a situation where you would need THAT much bike. MAYBE outrunning God or something, but that would be about it.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
OH, and I've ridden a ZX14, stretched 7", nitrous, lowered 3", that gear taken out to make it more brutal in the low end of the rpms, that bike is nuts. I just ... I simply can not imagine a situation where you would need THAT much bike. MAYBE outrunning God or something, but that would be about it.
It's comfier. :)

KeS

·
sacrilicious
752 Posts
yeah, I will give you that Kevin.

It's not so much that the bike is THAT nutty, but with all the mods done to it that my friend had ... wow. That's what I was more or less debating. I would like to own one as a touring bike ... if I wasn't so set on a Connie or Goldwing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went from a ZRX1200 (still own it) to a 2007 zx6r, durring the time I had the zx6, I was able to ride a gs500.

trust me and everyone else. A 600 will blow your freaking mind. Butt puckering acceleration, super light weight. I had NO trouble keeping up with my friends literbikes, and even passing a few of them on twisty roads.

A ZX10r is my next bike, but with years of experience on both track and street, and well over one hundered thousand miles traveled in all conditions, I think I'm ready for that monster.

THINK.

I'm still apprehensive of the ZX10r. So many stories. so much power.

I've got 3000 miles on my 08 zx10r. It is an awesome machine. Last bike was AN 85 gpz750 TURBO, yes turbo. An awesome bike, but the 08 zx10r would eat my turbo for lunch. Much power, handle with care.

·
Registered
166 Posts
dont bother

dont bother going to a 600. you will be just as bored and upset as you are on your 500. I tell most people to start with a 600 and move up. 250 and 500's are a waste of money and I dont even know why people buy them or companies make them.

They dont make 3 cylinder cars anymore for a reason.

I only weigh 155 pounds and jumped on a 700 maxim for the first time and had no problems. Than jumped to a zx9r The following year and then to a zx10 again with no problem.

·
sacrilicious
752 Posts
Kevin, those two 14's are hot. I love that pearl green!

as for Alzx9r ... why do companies make 250s and 500s? Put a few years under your belt on your 1000 then go back and ride one ... as best you can. I learned a while back that motorcycling isn't just a power race. If that's what it is to you, come down here and get your butt spanked by the turbo ZRX or full drag zx14's ... or for that matter Jay Riddle (he consistently put 6 second quarter miles on his GS1100). Then what are you goin to do? Quit till you can afford a 40k dollar bike? Or, are you just going to learn to get every little bit out of what you have?

Personally, I love 500's. I think they are so much fun. You obviously don't think they are very fun.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think if Feenix566 just simply knew the difference in technology alone that he would probably want a 600 SS. But i agree with everyone here that a 600SS would be perfect for him. 160 mph compared to 115, maybe 120, is a world of a difference. Not only is the speed a world of a difference but so is the acceleration. Bro on a 600 you will be doing 120 mph if you keep the throttle wide open and shifting before you can complete this sentence! I think that should make up your mind alone haha

·
tiller madness
492 Posts

WOW! going from a 2001 500cc ninja to any 08 600ss would be a huge jump a zx10 is just asking for trouble if your not careful

21 - 40 of 42 Posts