Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
um, maybe because the ZX-10R will SMOKE the 14 on a track or in the twisties?

Apples to Oranges.

Not everyone wants the highest top speed, or quickest quartermile.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Insurance? Plus they are very different styles of bike.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The ZX-14 is only $150 more, and is the fastest bike evar. Why would anyone buy a ZX-10R?

I ride with a guy who has a 14, and I can easily keep up with him on the 10. There is not that great a difference that cannot be made up with rider skill, and throttle controll. Just because a machine kicks 30 more ftlbs of torque, and 4 hp...does not mean the rider can use them.

I'll keep my 10 because it is more nimble, lighter weight, and puts me in a much more aggressive stance for the corners.

I'll wait at the end of the road for the 14 to catch up.:boink

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Let's say 175 lb rider

Specs per Motorcycle USA - Motorcycles and Motorcycle News testing

ZX-14:

Wet Weight 563.3 lbs (100 lbs heavier)
with said rider: 738.3 lbs

161.67 RWHP
102.02 RWTorque

4.57 lbs per RWHP LOSER

ZX-10R:

Horsepower: 158.73 [email protected] 12,300 rpm
Torque: 74.37 RWTorque @ 9000 rpm

Wet Weight 463 lbs. (100 lbs lighter)
with said rider: 638 lbs

4.019 lbs per RWHP WINNER! WINNER! WINNER!

This means all things being equal it will out accelerate the 14 every time

the 14 wins on top speed, but will probably lose everywhere else

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're completely right. I forgot to take the bike's weight into account.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wikipedia says that the 10R can put out 84.6 ft-lbs of torque, and the 14 can put out 113.5. They weigh 386 lbs and 485 lbs respectively, which gives the 10R 0.21 ft-lbs of torque per pound of bike, and the 14 has 0.23 ft-lbs of torque per pound of bike. That puts the 14 back on top...

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
That's crankshaft numbers, and only the bike

Factor in numbers at the rear wheel, add in the rider, and see what you get

Typically, we use lbs per hp, not lbs per ft-lbs of torque

One would need to look at the full torque curve to get a real picture of what's what

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Typically, we use lbs per hp, not lbs per ft-lbs of torque

One would need to look at the full torque curve to get a real picture of what's what
That's true. I wish magazines and whatnot would publish pictures of torque curves, instead of just publishing the peak horsepower number. That number, in and of itself, doesn't mean nearly as much as most people seem to think it means...

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
That's true. I wish magazines and whatnot would publish pictures of torque curves, instead of just publishing the peak horsepower number. That number, in and of itself, doesn't mean nearly as much as most people seem to think it means...
There was a really well done article recently comparing the ZX-14 and Hayabusa to the respective liter bikes. They looked at the entire torque curve along with the respective gearing, and published a graph of lbs of thrust at the rear wheel vs mph for the various gears. THAT really showed the real-world difference between the two.

I ride with a ZX-10 owner, and if it is just a matter of planning to come onto a straightaway as fast as possible he's as fast or faster than a 14. But in typical situations where we just decide to go - passing traffic or whatever, SOMETIMES he can keep up with me, but I can ALWAYS keep up with him. It just depends on where in the torque curve his bike is, and the 14 has a lot more chance of having the advantage at any given time.

KeS

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is a classic example of my dad can beat up your dad. My bike has more horsepower than yours. My bike has more torque than yours. Hell, they both are the best on paper for their respective designs. The 2004 (im using that year cause I own one :)) zx-10r has more horsepower and more torque and weighs less than any of its competitors at the time and the zx-14 has more horsepower and torque and weighs less than any of its competitors as well. They are the best bikes for there respective classes but the question remains, what will you do with your bike... ride on a road course or in a straight line? That will determine who the winner is in your book, its all about what you ride and how you ride it. I guarantee you that I know a few riders that could whoop the shit out of me on any track with a 1992 katana even if I was riding either of these bikes, so dont let the numbers on paper make up your mind, buy the bike that best suits you and know that you have the best!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might actually get a ZX-10R. I don't want to ride a tank, and I'm afraid that a step up from 500 to 600 won't be a big enough difference...

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I might actually get a ZX-10R. I don't want to ride a tank, and I'm afraid that a step up from 500 to 600 won't be a big enough difference...
you have no idea my friend....no idea. I went from a 600 to a 600 and trust me there is a huge! and I mean huge! difference. I went from a 94 F2 to a 07 zx6r....and until you've switched you just have no clue.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
you have no idea my friend....no idea. I went from a 600 to a 600 and trust me there is a huge! and I mean huge! difference. I went from a 94 F2 to a 07 zx6r....and until you've switched you just have no clue.
+1... I went from a katana 750 to a 05 ZZR600 and there was a huge diff there. Now i have the ZX10R and that was an incredible change. maybe you should think about a 750 for now. Like a GSXR750. i believe there somewhere around the 135 HP range. that should be a good jump for ya

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you mean to say that you went from a 500 to a 600?

+1... I went from a katana 750 to a 05 ZZR600 and there was a huge diff there. Now i have the ZX10R and that was an incredible change. maybe you should think about a 750 for now. Like a GSXR750. i believe there somewhere around the 135 HP range. that should be a good jump for ya
So the ZZR600 is faster than the Katana 750? Even though the engine's smaller?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts