Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just couldn't hold it back anymore. marketing/advertising for sportbikes are all directed towards how race-ready their bikes are. Sportbikes are meant to be used on the track!! there's a reason for the profile on the tires and the geometry of the bike!! ok, i'll admit they're great for stunting too. i'm absolutely fine with that. but what about those riders who don't do either?? what the f**k did you get one for? if your answer is: to look cool. fine, i just wanna know. there are too many friggin posers out there. buy a monster,bandit,harley,buell, etc...if you want to cruise. so for those of you who don't stunt/race...why?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I thought the ZX-7R was a beautiful bike, and I like to go fast. oh yeah, and I could afford it - otherwise it would have been a Duc916.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to go fast huh? in a straight line then. did u know a harley v-rod & fjr1300 can do 1/4 mile times as quick as all the new 600's & almost as quick as literbikes. there are many more options out there. so i now understand that it really is for the looks. just to be cool i guess. not a new concept in humanity. at least some of you bellied up. when i ask people in person, they just freeze.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Couple reasons. One, I use it to commute. Two, great people, and they are fun to ride. Three, I do track days.....damn

·
Registered
158 Posts
Squids are attracted to new, shiny things? That seems to be the norm around here. Whoever has the newest bike in the Dairy Queen parking lot on Friday night is really cool or so they think.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i guess it's kinda like back in high school. posers who bought the coolest/most expensive b-ball shoes even though they never played ball. ahhh, and i thought all people grew out of that stage in life. :hshot

·
Registered
954 Posts
It's hard buying a car that'll do 0-60 in under 4 seconds for $5000. Traffic jams are no longer a problem. It's hard finding a car that'll do 160mph and get 45 miles to the gallon. So yeah, i'd have to say, to go fast, and get great gas milage. And why sport bike? Well, just because it's not on a track, doesn't mean you can't take corners like you are!

·
Registered
475 Posts
backmarkin88 said:
so i now understand that it really is for the looks. just to be cool i guess. not a new concept in humanity. at least some of you bellied up. when i ask people in person, they just freeze.

Yes, that style of bike appealed to me. I could care less what other people think about the bike I ride - I bought it because I like it, not because I think others will like it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
17,000 dollar v-rod to a 8,000 dollar sportbike you do the math. And many people also like the styling of sportbikes better than harleys.

and yes I know they are not the only other motorcycles available out there, I am just comaring the v-rod price to a sportbike price.

And I don't know about anyone else but I love the styling of sportbikes much better than cruisers.

I may not make it to the track, but I don't mind that because I would much rather ride the track with a bike I wouldn't mind wrecking with if that situation were to come up. I do ride aggresive on the street, not all the time but I do have my moments.

I don't stunt because that's not something I prefer or would feel comfortable doing.

So the reason I buy a sportbike is because that is what I like. Now, why does this bother you so much that you feel the need to tell us that our bikes are not meant for the street?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why worry about other people's reasons for riding? Ride for yourself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's why honda makes the bandit, yamaha makes the fz1/6, suzuki makes sv650/1000, kawasaki makes the zz1, ducati makes the monster, aprilia makes the falco. all these bikes will keep up with sportbikes on the road (ok, maybe that's stretching it a bit for the bandit & the monster). so admit it, you knew the bike was made for something else, but you paid the xtra money to look cool :twofinger

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You have to remember that what makes them great on the track is also what makes them a blast in the twisties. Not to mention that most are actually fairly economical. And yes, they are beautiful as you would know since you ride the same bike as me. I need to get on the track soon though to improve my skills a bit and have a little legal fun.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Personal preference is what it came down to for me.

And you may want to tell the motorcycle companies to stop putting headlights on their sportbikes since they meant for the track only. Will make it easier so you don't have to cover your lights all the time. Also, they should come stock with 12 o'clock bars for stunting also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
those who keep asking why i care: because i'm one of the few who use their bike what it's meant for so it disturbs me to see them used for something other than what they're meant for. i'm not going to stop people from buying what they want. but nobody would answer me face to face. every time i asked, riders were dumbfounded. so i had to ask here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ahh yes, i forgot about canyon riding. that's cool too. that used to be my reason for riding. i'm referring to those who don't do that either. AND don't use commuting as your only excuse. all the bikes i just mentioned get better mileage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, I always liked sport bikes since I was a kid, love to ride, dont have the time to go to the track ( i dont think there is one near me anyway), Dont need to stunt(Its fun but im not that great at it, so id rather not kill myself or my bike). I also am not a harley or crusier kind of guy ( I dont like how they look). So basically I love to ride sport bikes, isnt that what's important? Dont get me wrong if I was good enough to race and had somwhere to do it, I would, but I'm not so I don't. Maybe one day down the road ill be good at stuntin, but its not really important to me.

1 - 20 of 471 Posts