Sport Bikes banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts
That's the point. Shit happens nearly as fast on the R6 so it makes no big difference in reality. On the R6 the shit happens more unexpectedly though.
No in reality you have to spin most 600s up and keep them there, most liter super sports still power wheelie in 3rd gear, a little bit of work and some sprocket 4th gear 115mph clutch up wheelies weren't even hard on my GSXRs....and a 600 won't roll over its tail when you hit a bump, something I have seen riders with TIME under their belts manage with new liter bikes.

An early '80s 1000 and post '99 liter are two different beasts, completely.

Internal Combustion Engine, a lot of people have no clue about how it works so they don't understand powerbands. This makes the R6 bad for someone used to a docile sedan or even a decently powerful one but with a flat curve.
So your solution is a bike that has as much power as a 600 at 7000 RPM is some cases? Fucking brilliant dude. Not to mention the power bands are nothing like hit you get from a 2 smoker coming up on the pipe. The power delvery increases rather linearly, and there is a LOT less of it trying to throw you off.

No in reality you have to spin most 600s up and keep them there, most liter super sports still power wheelie in 3rd gear, a little bit of work and some sprocket 4th gear 115mph clutch up wheelies weren't even hard on my GSXRs....and a 600 won't roll over its tail when you hit a bump, something I have seen riders with TIME under their belts manage with new liter bikes.

An early '80s 1000 and post '99 liter are two different beasts, completely.

So your solution is a bike that has as much power as a 600 at 7000 RPM is some cases? Fucking brilliant dude. Not to mention the power bands are nothing like hit you get from a 2 smoker coming up on the pipe. The power delvery increases rather linearly, and there is a LOT less of it trying to throw you off.
My whole point was that the R6 has to be revved to deliever and it explodes above a certain rpm which the R1 does not. The R1 is more manageable and is predictable in that regard. If you had bothered to read you'd seen that I never recommended the R1 because it's a terrible beginner bike.

I said that in the hypotetical situation where someone is dead set on either the R6 or R1 I would tell him to get the R1 because it's easier to ride and I stand by it.

The liter bikes are easier to ride . I have never felt such ire towards any bike than I did for a 2010 cbr600rr i got stuck with as a rental for a week while the KTM was in for a warranty issue . What a horrible thing it was to ride . nothing ..nothing ..nothing.. bang off it goes like a burning cat . The only way to ride it with a predictable power curve was keep it in first and second and rev it like I was trying to break it .

My 2 cents:
1) There are exceptions, but I haven't found a sure way to tell if you are one of them.

Now that the original poster's question has been answered, let's elaborate agree and disagree on a few points made above.

The general rule of starting on a 250 - 500 cc bike is to my way of thinking directed at a "first bike". There are some folks here who say this is for your first "street bike" and dirt bikes don't count. I disagree, unless your dirt-bike experience is limited to a 70 cc dirt bike.

One reason often touted, and one I agree with is that it is easeir to learn skills when you don't have to contend with the extra weight and extra horsepower. I fully agree; why not make it easier to learn? Why would you want to slow the learning process by making it harder?

2nd main reason is you are highly likely to drop your bike while stopped, e.g. tip it over while moving it in the garage, forget to put the kickstand down, make tight turn onto main drag while looking at approaching traffic only to realize that you have to stop suddenly while leaned way over due to lane suddenly being closed in front of you (you should not have skipped your coffee that morning), some other stupid dumb reason. Here it pays dividends to have a old already scuffed up bike, or at least one that you haven't devalued by a couple of grand by putting a scratch on it.

Third reason is that a 600 and up will get you in trouble before you realize it. Well that is partially true. Things like throttle control while goving over a bump if your have your wrist in the wrong position on the grip can give you problems, and you will find your self approaching that corner at a buck twenty instead of 80 before you know it, but you can compensate, learn proper technique and get to know your bike slowly. HOWEVER, this only delays the problem; if you start on a bike that is very capable at speed, you will have your first crash two years down the road instead of in the first 6 months, and since it will be when you finally think you know what you are doing, after taking a couple of years and many thousand miles to get to know your bike, and you will have it at a much higher speed, because you still need to recalibrate your internal speedometer - a painfull process (trust me on this).

I know folks have good intentions when they say that a smaller modern bike with about 50 HP bike outperforms older b***** bikes. This has not been my experience. Most 50 HP and under bikes seem enemic, once you have ridden a SS or even an antique but modified 750. My learner cycle was also an old 750, but with a few mods (cams and cam timing matched to header lenght on HRC 4-1 exaust for maximum peak power, Lektron carbs carefully tuned to match, modified intake-forget exactly, heads ported/polished, a little boring, pistons,....etc). It made a 750 Interceptor seem like a pussy cat.

As to reasons to want a b***** more powerful bike, no it's none of the four reasons quoted by Jim Moore above ( 1. It's pretty. 2. I don't know any better. 3. All my idiot friends have one. 4. I'll pull MAD trim on this thing, yo. There can't be any other reasons). The only true reason is that you are addicted to adrenaline and power. That's perfectly understandable. Let's just admit it, and decide how you will deal with your addiction. Like an alcoholic, you can have a two-drink limit or go cold turkey, or exercize restraint most of the time - a very dangerous way to handle it, but the most fun way.

Given that we are admitting our faults, let's deal with the speed thing. Even if you have years of experience on big dirt bikes, and you are not so worried about the speed of the learning curve or handling torque and traction, you know nothing about road riding at High Speed. Do yourself a favour and get a 500 as your first street bike.

The liter bikes are easier to ride . I have never felt such ire towards any bike than I did for a 2010 cbr600rr i got stuck with as a rental for a week while the KTM was in for a warranty issue . What a horrible thing it was to ride . nothing ..nothing ..nothing.. bang off it goes like a burning cat . The only way to ride it with a predictable power curve was keep it in first and second and rev it like I was trying to break it .
Lol it sounds like you do not have a lot of riding skills. A few hours of class time would do you wonders. Good luck.

My whole point was that the R6 has to be revved to deliever and it explodes above a certain rpm which the R1 does not. The R1 is more manageable and is predictable in that regard. If you had bothered to read you'd seen that I never recommended the R1 because it's a terrible beginner bike.

I said that in the hypotetical situation where someone is dead set on either the R6 or R1 I would tell him to get the R1 because it's easier to ride and I stand by it.
lmao, yeah that is a great idea. Then when the noob (sounds like you are one too) gives the liter bike a hair too much throttle he is laying on his back with a bike on top of him. great advice bud.

lmao, yeah that is a great idea. Then when the noob (sounds like you are one too) gives the liter bike a hair too much throttle he is laying on his back with a bike on top of him. great advice bud.
I am afraid your liter bike is not the hero machine you make it out to be . Liter bikes are the lazy tame choice . The busa being the best case in point ,folks get all excited by it, think its the biggest beast in the jungle ,when infact its a pussy cat to ride .

I am afraid your liter bike is not the hero machine you make it out to be . Liter bikes are the lazy tame choice . The busa being the best case in point ,folks get all excited by it, think its the biggest beast in the jungle ,when infact its a pussy cat to ride .
Lol, no need to get angry. just work on those skills and you will get there. Good luck.

Are we even still talking about first bikes anymore?
Its a hardy perenial on a sunday afternoon,you get to sit and play with the lickspittals and dullards who cant even get the joke when someone has just advised a busa as the first bike . Anyways I am stuck in with the kids watching Phineas and pherb while the wife is skiving off with her friends . I already got them to mow the lawn, wash the car , oil the decking and fetch and carry at the supermarket ,so thats me all out of ideas . So plonk em at the telly and I will sit over here and type shite into here and this thread is as good as any . And then next weekend I get to go out and play . ...it's just gettin me through a bad sunday .

I like to compare motorcycles to women. Now before people start crying...hear me out. The key word is WOMAN. You are barely kicking in this world 21 years while this woman has been kicking ass for over 40 years.
Shes powerful, thick, sexy, and very fast, she needs to be handled with rough hands that control her. You get on her you better be able to last and you better be able to know how to ride her and If you don't respect her-she will fuck your world up with one good thunder grip.

OR you can get on a Ninja 250/300 and learn together.

except the ninja 250 has been kicking ass in it's segment for 30 years too. . .

the RGV250 was outlawed. sorry, it's not kicking any ass.

except the ninja 250 has been kicking ass in it's segment for 30 years too. . .
If you see the many 250 ninjas...you rarely see them clean with cherry fairings. they are the training aid to many. The 250 ninja will allow you to beat it, drop it, and even hit a respectable speed and still give you another chance at life while a more powerful SS, liter or hyper will knock snot at first shot.

yep.

it's why my sister and a friend are both starting on 250s next season, thanks to me.

I infect others with the bike lust, apparently.

Reactions: PhilB
A literbike will not do what you describe unless you really yank the throttle and if someones throttlecontrol is that bad then he/she has no business on any bike at all until he/she has practiced more.

Come to think about it. I believe it has to do with the licensing system. We have to be able to ride at least semi competently in order to get our license. When we take the test we have to drive around in city traffic, countryside including gravel roads. Then we have to make a manouvering test and prove we can handle emergency braking and evasive manouvers. When I see Youtube clips from the states a lot of people claiming they just got their license seem barely able to handle the bike when cruising down the street.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.