Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just lately Ive been in and out of the bike stealership getting parts for my ke100 and F3, and it seems I've spent well over $200 already for SHIT. I went in today to get a rear brake hose for the F3 and its almost $50.00. I told him get the fuck out of here.

$50 fucking dollars for a piece of hose that I could probably have some hydraulic shop match up for $10 if that? WTF. is there any end to the price rape?

just felt like ranting.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Well, my oil filter is $15, a shifter is $80, foot peg is $100, mobil 1 racing 4T "especially formulated for triumph" is $55 for a gallon. Yes we do get raped on parts. My 12k mile service is up but i refuse to pay the $500+ the stealership quoted me. I mean damn $500 bucks?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The reason it is so exspensive is it is a monopoly. You have to go to the dealer to buy parts because AutoZone, PepBoys ect. don't sell them. So the dealer can charge what they want. The reason they don't sell parts I think is because there isn't a big enough market. Simple and sad.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I find shopping for bike considerably cheaper than for a car. Then again I had to get parts for a BMW 8(

·
Registered
501 Posts
Wana hear somethin that really sucks? My lock nut fell off my sprocket and my chain fell off in the mountains.... get a hose clamp attached just to get home.. call up 5 dealerships noone has one, end up ordering one and now i'm lookin at 8 days to get a 18mm nut.. napa/auto zone.. none of those places sell em.. "too big".. I actually did find one but the threading is too big... so now i'm sittin here waiting for a nut.. good times.. good times - btw price was 7$

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think another reason for high prices could be the much lower volume of parts produced. Because car parts (especially GM/Ford) parts are produced in such mass quantity, they can be offered at really low prices.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Only the parts that are most likely to break, or need to be replaced are expensive. everything else is pretty affordable. :\

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hmmmm, I guess it's all relative. After buying parts for my VW I feel like motorcycle parts are a great deal. Of course, if you're buying ANYTHING for the dealership, then I can't have much sympathy for you; that's just ignorant.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
There is an AWESOME motorcycle junk / parts dealer in CO. They have had EVERYTHING for anybike I have ever needed. Cheap too. Footpegs for $10, brackets, hoses, even screws... If you want me to check, PM me, and I will get back to you.

·
What-eva
73 Posts
This should be a flashing neon light of a nitch for an entrepreneur. Start up a motorcyle store for parts that undercuts the stealer-ships. Like an Autozone or Napa for motorcycles.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
It's probably better to shop for your parts online, there is far more competition for your business on the web than if you go to your dealer. Plus there is the added benefit of no sales tax if you purchase from a dealer outside your state. Check out the Ron Ayers or parts411 links on the front page of SBN, they are pretty reputable.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would say flatout motorcycles (forum sponsor) would be your best bet.....I dont buy anything at the local stealerships....not since I paid $45 for a footpeg

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
The reason it's so expensive is because bikes are a luxury. Just like boats, airplanes (to some anyway), even gas powere r/c cars. Shit for these things are very expensive.

Same goes with cars... Owning a Mercedes is a luxury, therefore, parts cost more.

I saw a sticker at bike week last weekend that holds very true... "If it flies, floats, or fucks, it's cheaper to rent it". Same goes with anything with 2 wheels.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
funkeycold said:
I think another reason for high prices could be the much lower volume of parts produced. Because car parts (especially GM/Ford) parts are produced in such mass quantity, they can be offered at really low prices.
Ditto. Its an economics question, specifc to supply and demand curves of motorcycle parts. Ask any student studying business.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Tragik was that a sticker or something? :lol I would have definitley gotten it. :lao

Yea parts aren't cheap at the dealer, matter of fact, nothing is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts