Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Slowpoke
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been curious about this. Why are the 1/4 mile times and roll-on times going up on a lot of new 1000s? Look at sportrider.com

Kawasaki Motorcycle Performance Numbers & Kawasaki Street Bike Quarter Mile Times at Sport Rider

The 05 ZX10R ran the 1/4 in 9.78. The 11 ZX10R needed 10.08. I know that the 2011 ZX10R makes more power and is a better bike...so what gives?

The story is the same with a lot of other new 1000s.

I know 1/4 mile times really don't matter much, I was just curious if anybody knew why they were getting worse.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
my guess would be it's gearing ratios has changed to meet engine tune demands based on race notes from real world testing.
and not to mention you could easily get both of those numbers from one run to the next on both of those bikes. depends on how good of a rider is that's riding it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Some testers have more balls and more skill.
There is also track temperature, altitude, and traction.

In my humble opinion, don't pay any attention to lap times or quarter mile times in comparison tests. Its not what the bike is capable of, its what the testers are capable of on that particular bike. A bike which they haven't had enough time to fully familiarize themselves with or dial in. If anything those numbers probably correlate the most strongly with "Easy to ride" factor.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
does it really matter when stock bikes already can do 10s out of the box.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
All of the super sports have similar geometry...

.....and none of them are well suited to 1/4 miles. They are limited by the chassis not the motors.

·
BIRDMAN
2,559 Posts
and maybe because liter bikes are not optimized for drag racing. It's not really part of the design criteria.
This.
The limits that are being hit are in the chassis design. They are designed to be nimble so shorter wheel base is desired.
Do nothing more than lower the bike and extend the swing arm and you'll shave a lot of time on the 1/4 run as more power can be applied with out the thing wanting to wheelie.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'll be argumentative today on the geometry issue.

Swingarms are getting longer - good for drag racing. Plus, shocks are getting better adjustment. This can only help chassis set up.

To the best of my knowledge, they strap the front ends, so the front geometry is a non-factor.

There's only three things that make sense to me:

One - New liter bikes have less torque. Torque wins drag races. It's one of two reasons why the last time I saw a prostock Suzuki motor, it was based on a GS motor, not a GSXR.

Two - Track condition. It's a wild card. I imagine most magazines test in CA. With all of the crazy weather in CA, I can't imagine the tracks being consistent from year to year.

Three - I'm assuming that magazines do their 1/4 miles tests with take-offs from "roadrace" track testing. Tires are stiffer today than they were way back when. Dropping air pressure will still have a relatively stiff tire.

You would really need to get a 05 ZX10 for example and run it on the track with a new S1000RR on the same day to see if it's bike or some other factor.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
I'll be argumentative today on the geometry issue.

Swingarms are getting longer - good for drag racing. Plus, shocks are getting better adjustment. This can only help chassis set up.

To the best of my knowledge, they strap the front ends, so the front geometry is a non-factor.

There's only three things that make sense to me:

One - New liter bikes have less torque. Torque wins drag races. It's one of two reasons why the last time I saw a prostock Suzuki motor, it was based on a GS motor, not a GSXR.

Two - Track condition. It's a wild card. I imagine most magazines test in CA. With all of the crazy weather in CA, I can't imagine the tracks being consistent from year to year.

Three - I'm assuming that magazines do their 1/4 miles tests with take-offs from "roadrace" track testing. Tires are stiffer today than they were way back when. Dropping air pressure will still have a relatively stiff tire.

You would really need to get a 05 ZX10 for example and run it on the track with a new S1000RR on the same day to see if it's bike or some other factor.
Unless you are talking a stretched bike strapping doesn't do a lot. Seventy-foot pounds with an a 55" wheelbase means wheelie, and about all of the 1000cc bikes and up can pull it.

For reference I've spent a LOT of time at drag strips, both two wheel and four wheel.

Reactions: scythe08

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
Bikes aren't getting slower. Go look at the Mirock series or go talk to Brock Davidson. We are doing more with less. The stock setups aren't ideal but, don't get it twisted. WHP wins races with sportbikes and trap speeds back that up. We aren't too worried about torque because we are taking off at such high rpms. Torque just makes them easier to launch. Also an 05' ZX-10R can't run with a S1000RR. Brock Davidson proved that in both stock wheelbase and stretched form. The fastest times ever ran on a stock motor 1000 was with the BMW. The articles below are about all the records the BMW set on it's debut into drag racing.

The long road trip to the short drag strip/BMW International Press Release : Dragbike Live.com

Brocks Performance: Horsepower Shootout: BMW S1000RR Vs. the World!

Brocks Performance: BMW S 1000 RR US Press Introduction

BMW S 1000RR to the 8th & 3rd power! : Dragbike Live.com

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Bikes aren't getting slower. Go look at the Mirock series or go talk to Brock Davidson. We are doing more with less. The stock setups aren't ideal but, don't get it twisted. WHP wins races with sportbikes and trap speeds back that up. We aren't too worried about torque because we are taking off at such high rpms. Torque just makes them easier to launch. Also an 05' ZX-10R can't run with a S1000RR. Brock Davidson proved that in both stock wheelbase and stretched form. The fastest times ever ran on a stock motor 1000 was with the BMW. The articles below are about all the records the BMW set on it's debut into drag racing.

whoever rode the bikes did it no justice. only a 10.04 with a 178.8 hp bike? weak sauce.

rickey gadson got a stock 05 R6 in the 9's with no mods done to it.

Today, in Palmdale, California, WITH A 25 MPH HEAD/CROSS WIND, in front of all the Cycle World editors and representatives of Ducati, Honda, Triunph, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha, Rickey G does the impossible.In a test for Cycle World for the best Middle Weight bike out, Dragracing has now experienced it's first BONE STOCK 9 second 600 pass..... Or passes!!! Guess what....... It wasn't on a Kawasaki. The Yamaha R6, ran a BLISTERING [email protected], backed up by a [email protected] The numbers were.....
1.54 60'
4.17 330'
111mph 1/8mi.
[email protected]

NOTE, these bikes are the dictionary definition of stock. NO WEIGHT, stock pipes, -1 front sprocket, lowered, no race gas or motor work, and THAT'S IT!!!!

The test bikes included the Ducati 749, Triumph 650, Honda CBR 600RR, Suzuki GSXR 600, Kawasaki ZX-6R, and Yamaha R6. The test started with ALL the bikes at stock height. The Ducati went [email protected] The Triumph went [email protected]( ). The Honda went [email protected] The Suzuki went [email protected] The Yamaha went [email protected] And last but not least, the Kawasaki went [email protected] What is the fastest you've ever seen a stock height 600 go??? i guarantee it isn't three tenths of those #'s!!!

They then decided to take the two fastest bikes and lower them. That was the Yamaha and the Kawasaki. The Suzuki was down on horsepower and had the second to lowest mph with near flawless passes, while the Kawi and the Yamaha were the only two bike that he could not keep on the ground in first gear. These factors are what made the Kawi and the Yamaha the chosen bikes.

With 2" ground clearance, the first pass for the Kawasaki was a 10.16, with a 1.55 60', but the shock was hitting the swingarm so they had to raise it back up. Then, 4 passes later, with a 1.58 60' and a 4.27 330', the Kawi went [email protected] The first pass for the Yamaha was 10.12. Then 3 passes later, with a 1.55 60' and a 4.23 330', the Yamaha went [email protected] Them came back and went a 1.54 60' and a 4.17 330', and went [email protected]

Now, this is getting Crazy!!!! I honestly can't believe that a stock 600 went 9's. I wish there was still a 600ss class. If these bikes were setup S/S legally, they will go 9.50's easy!!!!

Stay tuned fellas, Rickey Gadson will go to Cali next month to test ALL the new 1000's!!!! THAT should be interesting!!!!

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I would venture a guess, and say it's the EPA cracking down.

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
whoever rode the bikes did it no justice. only a 10.04 with a 178.8 hp bike? weak sauce.

rickey gadson got a stock 05 R6 in the 9's with no mods done to it.

Today, in Palmdale, California, WITH A 25 MPH HEAD/CROSS WIND, in front of all the Cycle World editors and representatives of Ducati, Honda, Triunph, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha, Rickey G does the impossible.In a test for Cycle World for the best Middle Weight bike out, Dragracing has now experienced it's first BONE STOCK 9 second 600 pass..... Or passes!!! Guess what....... It wasn't on a Kawasaki. The Yamaha R6, ran a BLISTERING [email protected], backed up by a [email protected] The numbers were.....
1.54 60'
4.17 330'
111mph 1/8mi.
[email protected]

NOTE, these bikes are the dictionary definition of stock. NO WEIGHT, stock pipes, -1 front sprocket, lowered, no race gas or motor work, and THAT'S IT!!!!

The test bikes included the Ducati 749, Triumph 650, Honda CBR 600RR, Suzuki GSXR 600, Kawasaki ZX-6R, and Yamaha R6. The test started with ALL the bikes at stock height. The Ducati went [email protected] The Triumph went [email protected]( ). The Honda went [email protected] The Suzuki went [email protected] The Yamaha went [email protected] And last but not least, the Kawasaki went [email protected] What is the fastest you've ever seen a stock height 600 go??? i guarantee it isn't three tenths of those #'s!!!

They then decided to take the two fastest bikes and lower them. That was the Yamaha and the Kawasaki. The Suzuki was down on horsepower and had the second to lowest mph with near flawless passes, while the Kawi and the Yamaha were the only two bike that he could not keep on the ground in first gear. These factors are what made the Kawi and the Yamaha the chosen bikes.

With 2" ground clearance, the first pass for the Kawasaki was a 10.16, with a 1.55 60', but the shock was hitting the swingarm so they had to raise it back up. Then, 4 passes later, with a 1.58 60' and a 4.27 330', the Kawi went [email protected] The first pass for the Yamaha was 10.12. Then 3 passes later, with a 1.55 60' and a 4.23 330', the Yamaha went [email protected] Them came back and went a 1.54 60' and a 4.17 330', and went [email protected]

Now, this is getting Crazy!!!! I honestly can't believe that a stock 600 went 9's. I wish there was still a 600ss class. If these bikes were setup S/S legally, they will go 9.50's easy!!!!

Stay tuned fellas, Rickey Gadson will go to Cali next month to test ALL the new 1000's!!!! THAT should be interesting!!!!
Good post... I saw Rickey G at the Mirock race on Nov. 3rd. I showed those articles to be fair and show trap speeds. 135 vs 150 is a big difference and shows whp. I'm 6'1'' 240 lean and will never be able to run what 140-150 lbs Rickey G can run on a stock bike thus why I run my turbo bike vs jockeys on turbo or spray where the playing field is level.

600's have reached into the 9's before unofficially but, no one talks about it or documented it. I've heard rumors that MR12 was used and we all know what oxygenated fuel does. I'm sure Jeremy Teasley and etc could run the same numbers given the same conditions. Regardless of E.T. you will run the same trap speeds run after run. I'm interested to see where things are going and I miss the supersport class. Keep me posted. I'm not on the other site enough to keep up with all the happenings.

·
Slowpoke
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The long road trip to the short drag strip/BMW International Press Release : Dragbike Live.com

Brocks Performance: BMW S 1000 RR US Press Introduction

BMW S 1000RR to the 8th & 3rd power! : Dragbike Live.com
^^^^This all makes sense because I know that the newer bikes are ultimately faster. With more power and less weight, how can they not be? The question remains, why would the 1/4 mile times for that one website be going up and not down? I imagine they would have a relatively similar test crew from year to year.

A quick internet search says that the wheelbase on the ZX10R has been getting longer and longer too. The 2011/2012 are 1.5" longer than the 04/05...but there is still a big discrepancy in times. I know the rider is everything...but I was just wondering if there was some relatively known reason for why the new bikes weren't appearing as quick in 1/4 as some of the older ones.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I skipped to the last post. Have we gotten to the 'riding in a straight line is for fucking monkeys' or 'acceleration doesn't mean a fucking thing the only thing that matters is a bike's agility/handling!' slogans yet?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The new 1000s are more like a big 600.

Big torque liter bikes are hard to ride and a thing of the past. Glad I own three of them! :D

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
^^^^This all makes sense because I know that the newer bikes are ultimately faster. With more power and less weight, how can they not be? The question remains, why would the 1/4 mile times for that one website be going up and not down? I imagine they would have a relatively similar test crew from year to year.

A quick internet search says that the wheelbase on the ZX10R has been getting longer and longer too. The 2011/2012 are 1.5" longer than the 04/05...but there is still a big discrepancy in times. I know the rider is everything...but I was just wondering if there was some relatively known reason for why the new bikes weren't appearing as quick in 1/4 as some of the older ones.
It's a mix of the bikes are a bit harder to ride being the power is at the upper rev range and slipper clutches are a pain in the ass to launch are underlying issues. I would also venture to step into suspension setup being big variables. Past that I really don't know where or why they are putting the numbers down that the real drag racers are putting down. Magazine riders are still noobs when it comes to drag racing. At least their slow times are consistent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts