Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Really is a good and enlightening read. It was posted up on one of our local forums, and I recommend it to anyone. It really puts things into perspective.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Sorry, most of that is bollocks. Blame the economy, stupid? Have you seen the current economies of Europe? Where WSBK resides? Somehow, they manage to put on a full season, with full factory and factory support teams, and real competition, and they offer an actual TV package for fans to watch every race. I could go on...

Meanwhile, we get to cool off for three months until the next AMA race.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Have you seen the number of fans that attend a World Superbike race?

Last time I checked, Fox dropped all Superbike racing from their US broadcasts (except for a poorly done Daytona).

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
There is only room in the US for 1 racing series, NASCAR. Everyone else fights for scraps.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Have you seen the number of fans that attend a World Superbike race?

Last time I checked, Fox dropped all Superbike racing from their US broadcasts (except for a poorly done Daytona).
Yes,

and fortunately, Fox doesn't broadcast the WSBK races in Europe or the rest of the world.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
There is only room in the US for 1 racing series, NASCAR. Everyone else fights for scraps.
Hellz yeah. Nascar ftw! :high5

I can't stand watching racers make left AND right turns. Left is the only direction that matters.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Sorry, most of that is bollocks. Blame the economy, stupid? Have you seen the current economies of Europe? Where WSBK resides? Somehow, they manage to put on a full season, with full factory and factory support teams, and real competition, and they offer an actual TV package for fans to watch every race. I could go on...

Meanwhile, we get to cool off for three months until the next AMA race.
Agreed, mostly. Also, the original DMG team did tremendous damage the way they took over. The economy was showing signs of taking a dump which only made matters worse. The factories were basically footing the bill, there were few big sponsors beyond them. The series hadn't had a title sponsor for years (since Chevy walked). I know of at least one team that walked away because of the financial damage done in the first weeks of DMG and they haven't come back. AFAIK, they have no plans on returning.

As for Europe/WSBK, motorcycles are a big element of the culture as opposed to the US. Moto racing is nearly as big as soccer. If it were even half as big as football or NASCRAP, we wouldn't have half the problems we have been seeing for what, 5 years now?

I understand Mr Swarts' beef with fans griping about the situation but he has to consider the fans' point of view too. This economy has made people re-allocate their more and more limited expendable income. Roger Edmondson really turned a lot of people off, people who used to religiously attend races. Sponsors in turn noticed the decreased attendance which makes them less likely to step up and spend money on the series.

Without a doubt, the racing has gotten better. Too bad there was so much damage done before they got to this point.

The lack of a TV package is just one more unnecessary twist to turn people away.

Reactions: jk750

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's a great thread on the WERA board about this.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Where has the racing gotten better? DSB? Ok... Can most people name 5 DSB riders off the top of their heads?

AMA Superbike is a one factory rider show, Daytona notwithstanding.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Where has the racing gotten better? DSB? Ok... Can most people name 5 DSB riders off the top of their heads?

Myers
Ohge
Beaubier
Rispoli
Paris
Disalvo
Pascarella

:p

Reactions: Tony216

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The Daytona class has some of the best racing in the world, too bad we won't see it. Let's really be honest here, what has fucked up motorcycle racing the most is the loss of tobacco sponsorship. Look back a few years ago, everyone had a cigarette company on their leathers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
The Daytona class has some of the best racing in the world, too bad we won't see it. Let's really be honest here, what has fucked up motorcycle racing the most is the loss of tobacco sponsorship. Look back a few years ago, everyone had a cigarette company on their leathers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Step 1: Legalize Cannabis
Step 2: Let them sponsor it?

Reactions: taekus

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The days of fifteen factory bikes were gone LONG before the DMG came along. Kinda like how there was only a factory Ducati team in World Superbike for awhile, but no one complained about it.

If Superbike is a one factory rider show, how does Hayes have a teammate? Or are you calling Cardenas the only factory rider? Or is it May? Yates? Could you be talking about Hayden, because you know even though the Jordan team has won some races, it isn't a factory team, right? Come to think of it, so has Chris Ulrich's team...

Over the last four years, there probably as many different AMA Superbike winners as there are MotoGP winners.

MotoGP
Rossi
Pedbot
Lorenzo
Stoner
Spies
???

AMA Superbike
Hayes
Cardenas
Young
Hayden
Herrin
I think Pegram and Mladin are in that four-year window, but I don't know for sure. I can't remember if Dovi won a race yet.

And just for shits and giggles, here's five more FRONT-running DSB guys...

Lewis
Gagne
Gerloff
Solis
Westby

Here's a bonus, Supercamp prodigy, JD Beach

Finally, does anyone know how superbikeplanet got its name? It used to be amasuperbike.com. I would love to read the story some time...

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I'm sick of the whole "qiut bashing the sport" mantra. Unfortunately for DMG, having knowledgeable, passionate fans is a double-edged sword. A true fan is going to know when something sucks, and is going to let his opinions be known. The answer is to stop sucking, not shut the fans up.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm sick of the whole "qiut bashing the sport" mantra. Unfortunately for DMG, having knowledgeable, passionate fans is a double-edged sword. A true fan is going to know when something sucks, and is going to let his opinions be known. The answer is to stop sucking, not shut the fans up.
The article is not written by anyone employed by the DMG or AMA. Unfortunately, it appears your last chance to see how good things are these days has slipped away.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
The days of fifteen factory bikes were gone LONG before the DMG came along. Kinda like how there was only a factory Ducati team in World Superbike for awhile, but no one complained about it.

If Superbike is a one factory rider show, how does Hayes have a teammate? Or are you calling Cardenas the only factory rider? Or is it May? Yates? Could you be talking about Hayden, because you know even though the Jordan team has won some races, it isn't a factory team, right? Come to think of it, so has Chris Ulrich's team...

Over the last four years, there probably as many different AMA Superbike winners as there are MotoGP winners.

MotoGP
Rossi
Pedbot
Lorenzo
Stoner
Spies
???

AMA Superbike
Hayes
Cardenas
Young
Hayden
Herrin
I think Pegram and Mladin are in that four-year window, but I don't know for sure. I can't remember if Dovi won a race yet.

And just for shits and giggles, here's five more FRONT-running DSB guys...

Lewis
Gagne
Gerloff
Solis
Westby

Here's a bonus, Supercamp prodigy, JD Beach

Finally, does anyone know how superbikeplanet got its name? It used to be amasuperbike.com. I would love to read the story some time...
I can name every rider in every series, if I look it up. My question was, can MOST people name 5 DSB riders off the top of their heads. You're not most people. But here's a :cookie

AMA Superbike is a one factory rider series right now. Josh Hayes. Yes, he has a teammate. Yes, that teammate won at Daytona. That's why I said, Daytona notwithstanding. Hayes has no rivals and no real competition this season, nor last season. He will run completely away with the series championship this season, like he did last season. Cardenas may win a couple races if Hayes falls out. May, Yates (really?), Hayden, have as much chance as Chris Ulrich.

DSB is not the premier AMA Pro Racing series. As much as AMA/DMG would love it to be. It might have really close racing, but it's not the premier class, and it doesn't have readily fan-recognizeable names and faces, except to a small majority of devout fans. Many of those same fans mentioned in the article who are mostly critical of AMA racing.

Before DMG, there were several active factories involved with AMA. Honda. Yosh Suzuki. Yamaha. Kawasaki. Ducati. Ducati brought over a former WSBK champion, Neil Hodgson. While we still have Yosh Suzuki, Yamaha is the only real threat this season with Hayes. KTM? I don't think so. EBR? I'm glad they are racing, but they're no threat.

People used to bitch when it was Mladin/Spies every weekend for the wins. At least those two provided good, close racing. Hayes has no competition. This season (what there is of it) will be a yawnfest. He won 16 races last season. Ten in a row at one point. More wins than the previous two season combined, in which he also won the championships.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hayes is dominate because he works harder than everyone else.

And ask the average American who Valentino Rossi is and see if they know...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts