Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a new wireless carrier. as of now I have cricket which gets decent coverage for where I go mostly. but they have shit for phones and no 4g.

I thought I was going to go with sprint until they told me at the store they charge about 15% on top of the rate plan prices for taxes and other surcharges.
so they quoted me $69 for the plan and then add 15% to that for more "hidden" charges. plus they want $36 activation fee and $50 for a credit check. :lao

so they're off the list.

I checked into virgin since they use sprint's network but the only phone they have worth having only works on their wimax 4g which is getting phased out for 4g LTE in a year. so I'm not wasting my money for a phone that is going to be useless in a year.

so who do you guys have and is there any "hidden" charges?

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
any place you go to will have an activation charge along with those 'hidden fees' especially if you get a 'smart phone' as they usually have an additional 'premium data' type charge added. I don't know why sprint would want to do a credit check, let alone charge you for it. I never had to do any such thing when I switched to them.

Sprint with an iPhone (or equivalent smart phone) for me is $98 a month and thats unlimited data/texts and 400 minutes, which I only use about 10 a month since mobile to mobile is free.

·
How about them Redskins?
2,418 Posts
Boost Mobile for the win.... Even 40 bucks a month... all included... taxes too!!

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
any place you go to will have an activation charge along with those 'hidden fees' especially if you get a 'smart phone' as they usually have an additional 'premium data' type charge added. I don't know why sprint would want to do a credit check, let alone charge you for it. I never had to do any such thing when I switched to them.

Sprint with an iPhone (or equivalent smart phone) for me is $98 a month and thats unlimited data/texts and 400 minutes, which I only use about 10 a month since mobile to mobile is free.
the activation thing is bs but I know everyone does it. I just don't like the $20+ extra a month on top of the bill of $70 to start off. if they would have said the total is going to be 90-100 I wouldn't take it for one, but two at least they're being up front. I don't like the sneaky little slip this fee of a variable rate 15-18% extra in your bill on you without really telling you up front unless you specifically ask about the fine print. I'm not cool with that shit. taxes are one thing. little charges of 2-3 bucks is too. but not a whopping 15% or more.
then he started talking about the credit check. I was like what do you mean credit check. oh we charge a $50 non refundable fee if you have bad credit to use our service. (if you have bad credit)
and judging their coverage map they are about the same as cricket. so fuck them.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
the activation thing is bs but I know everyone does it. I just don't like the $20+ extra a month on top of the bill of $70 to start off. if they would have said the total is going to be 90-100 I wouldn't take it for one, but two at least they're being up front. I don't like the sneaky little slip this fee of a variable rate 15-18% extra in your bill on you without really telling you up front unless you specifically ask about the fine print. I'm not cool with that shit. taxes are one thing. little charges of 2-3 bucks is too. but not a whopping 15% or more.
then he started talking about the credit check. I was like what do you mean credit check. oh we charge a $50 non refundable fee if you have bad credit to use our service. (if you have bad credit)
and judging their coverage map they are about the same as cricket. so fuck them.
Yeah. My plan is like $69 + $10 for the premium data. Then it's another bunch of random BS charges but it is what it is. It's pretty comparable to what I'd pay with any other of the major carriers. As far as service I haven't had any problems except for when I'm at my house. My subdivision is a dead zone for every carrier except US Cellular.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Virgin. Sucks I had to shell out $300 for an a phone thats over a year old. But I went from $110 a month for the basic of basic plans with Verizon and I had lost my unlimited data and they had just moved the 4 gigs a month down to 2. Now it's $38 a month with unlimited data and 300 someodd minutes. The service of course isn't anywhere near like verizons but saving all that money per month and not having to deal with Verizon was worth it to me

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I'm in need of a new wireless carrier. as of now I have cricket which gets decent coverage for where I go mostly. but they have shit for phones and no 4g.

I thought I was going to go with sprint until they told me at the store they charge about 15% on top of the rate plan prices for taxes and other surcharges.
so they quoted me $69 for the plan and then add 15% to that for more "hidden" charges. plus they want $36 activation fee and $50 for a credit check. :lao

so they're off the list.

I checked into virgin since they use sprint's network but the only phone they have worth having only works on their wimax 4g which is getting phased out for 4g LTE in a year. so I'm not wasting my money for a phone that is going to be useless in a year.

so who do you guys have and is there any "hidden" charges?
BS. Goto a different Sprint store. I have Sprint "almost" everything plan.

$69.99 Unlimited plan (everything is TRULY unlimited except if I call a land line I have 450 minutes, big deal).
$10 premium data plan (for high end smart phones)
$11 total care insurance (it's already paid for itself twice, I can literally throw my phone against a wall, and they will replace it (upto 3 times a year)).
$4.73 state taxes and fees
$8.79 Sprint surcharges. (hardly 15%)
Then I DID have to pay the $36 activation fee.

So, after all that, my plan is $104.xx a month, but I have literally burnt my phone up. One time almost 9GB of data, lol.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I had Verizon through work. Their coverage and customer service was top notch. FYI, stay away from ATT(bought out US Cellular). I have ATT through my personal and wife's phone and regret it. Coverage is hit and miss, and they no longer have an unlimited data plan. My wife who's about as technologically savy as the dog, and doesn't even know how to use Siri(I just found out yesterday)was grandfathered in to unlimited data since she had it before we got out new 4Ss. I'm stuck with 4gb.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I have tmobile. I'm on pre-paid.... two phones unlimited everything (but only 2bg/phone of 4g speed data) is 110 a month.

They just, as of september 4th started offering value plans.... unlimited everything for 70 a month for individuals. They don't include a phone with that, but you can score a phone for 125 bucks on craigslist.

So yeah, i need to switch my plan over, because now I can get unlimited data for the same price I'm paying. And get roaming back (which I don't get with prepaid).

The voice coverage on tmobile is the same as ATT, the 4g coverage is better. The 36 coverage is not near as good, but it's good enough. And it's WAY fucking cheaper.

I have no regrets with tmobile, honestly. We've been pretty happy. I can pay twice as much and get better coverage... but I get coverage at 95% of the places I go. It's just when I get farther outside the city that the data coverage sucks. I'm not outside the city often enough to justify paying an extra 70 a month for increased coverage with another carrier.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I had Verizon through work. Their coverage and customer service was top notch. FYI, stay away from ATT(bought out US Cellular). I have ATT through my personal and wife's phone and regret it. Coverage is hit and miss, and they no longer have an unlimited data plan. My wife who's about as technologically savy as the dog, and doesn't even know how to use Siri(I just found out yesterday)was grandfathered in to unlimited data since she had it before we got out new 4Ss. I'm stuck with 4gb.
fyi, verizon has different customer service for business accounts than for personal. So do the other carriers.

Business CS is always great. Personal is pretty shitty with all the carriers.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
BS. Goto a different Sprint store. I have Sprint "almost" everything plan.

$69.99 Unlimited plan (everything is TRULY unlimited except if I call a land line I have 450 minutes, big deal).
$10 premium data plan (for high end smart phones)
$11 total care insurance (it's already paid for itself twice, I can literally throw my phone against a wall, and they will replace it (upto 3 times a year)).
$4.73 state taxes and fees
$8.79 Sprint surcharges. (hardly 15%)
Then I DID have to pay the $36 activation fee.

So, after all that, my plan is $104.xx a month, but I have literally burnt my phone up. One time almost 9GB of data, lol.
that sounds about what I was getting from their website. the deal was $69 all together. plus taxes and surcharges.
I just couldn't get as straight answer as to how much it is and what it's based off of. 15% of $10 or $100? so I went to radio shack where they sell sprint and the guy told me yes, my assumption is correct, it can be 15-18% extra on top of the $69.
he said if the site says it's $69 expect your bill to be in the $90-95 range. which is about exactly what your bill is without the insurance.
their disclaimer says the surcharge is 17 something % (variable).

btw, radio shack has killer deals right now for a samsung S3. $99. that's why I wanted to get it.

Samsung Galaxy S III 4G LTE Blue for Sprint - RadioShack Wireless

but that's too high for sprint service. their coverage is very very spotty. and 4g is only in certain areas. unlike tmobile, verizon, att pretty much has 4g coverage wherever you have normal coverage.

to me paying what virgin wants ($35 a month) for sprint's coverage is more like it. sprint is kind of out of their minds wanting that much for their coverage.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
fyi, verizon has different customer service for business accounts than for personal. So do the other carriers.

Business CS is always great. Personal is pretty shitty with all the carriers.
Makes sense I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts