Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, who's got those cheap pocket bikes that you can get off of Ebay for like a total of $250 shipped.

If you've got one, how does it run?? Does it break down alot??

I'm gonna have a bit of a bonus on a check soon, and I was thinking about maybe picking one of them up, but if they are absolute junk, I'll pass. If they last anything more than a few months, I'll probably pick one up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can't imagine a $250 pocket bike being anything but junk...but I don't have any first hand experience.

On that note, I've wondered about those pocket bikes that are sold thru autoparts stores and the like....many under the $1000 mark....there must be some reason they sell for so much less than the 'real' pocket bikes that go for $2000-$3000+

If you do buy, please post pics :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have first hand experience and I have to say they are GHETTO they are made out of cheap metal tubing Id compare it to shopping cart metal and the engine is very weak if anybody of substantial weight rides it they dont move fast at all. After a week or so stuff started breaking so if you buy one dont expect much

·
Registered
139 Posts
They sell them all over the place here in florida.Pep boys,lawn mower shops..

They look really cheaply made.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A buddy of mine bought one from the snap-on man. I have never ridden any other pocket bike so I have nothing to compare it to. But it seemed pretty cool to me. No low end umph but once you get going it does all right.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Ask PM Thai, I remember him saying he ordered one and his friend had one also.

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
I have one and it pretty much sucks. Think of it as a toy, not as a mini-bike

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Yeah I'm still waiting for my eBay CAG pocket bike to come in. Hopefully another week...

As for my friend's pocket bike that he got off of eBay (see my profile pic), that thing rocks! His is the one size up from the actual pocket bikes and tops out at about 30mph (claimed 40 in the ads). But still A LOT of fun.

You get what you pay for and in my opinion, the CAG eBay pocket bikes are of great value. And if you want them to be like the $3K+ Polinis, you wouldn't have to put close to that much money into modifying it.

I'll post up more about mine when it comes in. I can't wait! :D

Here's a link to it on eBay:

eBay 47cc Pocket Bike

And a pic of it:

Attachments

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^

Thanks everyone. I'm not really looking for one to "race." Just one to dick around with. Maybe try and talk a buddy of mine into buying one as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A couple of friends an myself all got them a few months back - the most fun I've had for under $300 in a long time, I modded my engine by porting/polishing, some carb work and a few carbon fiber bit and I got it doing 31.3 mph, and it has enough low end to high side out of the corners. We have been racing in parking lots every weekend since we got them. They are kinda cheap but hey I don't feel bad at all when I crash it, where as a $2000
blata or polini might be better but it isn't cheap to repair. I call it cheap entertainment and I like wrenching on stuff anyway. I haven't had any problems with mine and I have 100miles on mine according to my speedo I put on it

check www.pocketbikeplanet.com - lots of riders of the cheap bikes there

http://public.fotki.com/Saginaw748/pocket_bikes/ <----pics

·
Registered
834 Posts
all pocketbikes are cheap to repair. the thing that costs the most is probably tires. i have a DM-10 race pocketbike and the only mechanical replacement i've done on mine is: crank case seals - $5, piston/ring kit - $40, clutch shoes - $40, race tires -$125 a set. i've got one and 1/2 race seasons on my bike and countless practice sessions and demos.

don't get me wrong. i think that the Cags (cheap pocketbikes) are cool/fun. if you are racing or against someone with the same bike you can have some really exciting and close racing. i actually want to get one and race it in the Cag class....anyways, the problem is that thousands of kids are buying these and riding them on the streets. THEY ARE GETTING KILLED AND INJURED and now states are banning them. even though pocketbikes are toys (to some) they need to be riden in a closed course with protection on. people just need to be a bit smarter and responsible.

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
the bikes that Pep Boys and Autozone sell aren't considered pocketbikes....they're too big and have lights. i guess you can say they're "minis".

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gixxer_Six2003 said:
The one I looked at dont have any lights. Just a normal pocket bike.

Yah, the Autozone here has one that looks just like the one that Mr. Lesbian got. It's not all the same colors, but the plastics look identical.

I think our Autozone sells them for $399 though...not sure on that.

Well, I guess depending on how much my bonus is, maybe one of these things is in my future.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Here's a clip of me on my buddy's bike (1 size up from pocket bikes).

Right click "save-as" (5.6mb)

He had taken it on the street once and gott pulled over too. Funny stuff. The cop told him that since that one has all the required lights, he could get it classified as an under 50cc moped and insure it. Imagine that in traffic eh? lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts