Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how'd yall like the paddle shift? i got to take one out today and i didn't really like it a whole lot. the auto clutch kinda threw me off, and the shifts weren't as quick as i thought they'd be. dont get me wrong, the car was amazing but if i had a choice, id rather get the 6 speed manual.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yup, I've driven two Modenas with F1 shift and would still prefer a proper shifter sticking out of a metal grate. The paddle shifter may be quicker but it is definitely not as fun as rowing the gears yourself and dancing on the pedals.

When driving on the street, I don't really care a rat's ass about lap times or .001 second differences in gear shifts. Perhaps, the paddle shifter would be worthwhile if I planned on flogging my Ferrari around a race track on a monthly basis.

Besides, that dainty little T-shaped reverse lever on the center console looks out of place in a car with nearly 400 hp.

With that said, I'd still trade my miata and my left kidney to own a Modena - F1 shifter or not.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
I haven't driven a 360 but the Mazda 6 has that tap shifter. After you shift it takes a second or two before it actually changes gear. WTF is up with that?

·
Registered
833 Posts
What you are describing in regards to the '6' is actually a conventional automatic tranny with a hydraulic clutch. Like many of the newer slush boxes it has some buttons or levers that allow the driver to over ride the computer to a limited extent and shift at a higher rpm or downshift ealier.

However, the F1 style shifter in the Modena and other cars like the M3, new M5, Maserati etc.. have a servo actuated clutch and a smart ECU controlled throttle that will perfectly match revs when shifting. This technology is a direct trickle down from F1 racing, hence the name duh, and is usually faster than both an auto or stick shift. It is also a bit pricey but it is trickling even futher down the sportscar food chain as I've heard, the MR2 spyder was available with it and it is currently optional on the z4.

I stick by my guns and still prefer to shift the car myself. Besides, pulling on a plastic lever will never be as satisfying as clicking off the perfect heel-and-toe downshift.

Ain't progress grand?

·
i ride sideways
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pwang said:
What you are describing in regards to the '6' is actually a conventional automatic tranny with a hydraulic clutch. Like many of the newer slush boxes it has some buttons or levers that allow the driver to over ride the computer to a limited extent and shift at a higher rpm or downshift ealier.

However, the F1 style shifter in the Modena and other cars like the M3, new M5, Maserati etc.. have a servo actuated clutch and a smart ECU controlled throttle that will perfectly match revs when shifting. This technology is a direct trickle down from F1 racing, hence the name duh, and is usually faster than both an auto or stick shift. It is also a bit pricey but it is trickling even futher down the sportscar food chain as I've heard, the MR2 spyder was available with it and it is currently optional on the z4.

I stick by my guns and still prefer to shift the car myself. Besides, pulling on a plastic lever will never be as satisfying as clicking off the perfect heel-and-toe downshift.

Ain't progress grand?

thats exactly right, the 360 feels like a manual tranny with the car itself doing the clutching, while the mazda and others are an auto tranny with user shiftable capabilities.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I thought the 360 modena had the shifting similiar to F1 cars....like .006th of a second to shift gear which I have heard.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
It's fast, but like others have mentioned. Not as fun. I used to valet and yes, those engines are awesome!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I haven't driven a 360 yet, But I had a 308 GTS a few years ago and I really enjoyed it!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts